Mike Tanier - The Decline of Tom Brady, Part XIV: This Time It's Really Happening

26CornerBlitz

34 minutes ago, ocemur said:

It's got to happen sooner or later. The best thing for the Pats is Tawmy walks away at the end of this year, or before his skills really go, whenever that is. The best thing for us is if he hangs on, steadily getting worse and worse until it turns into a lost season or two, a complete soap opera and finally a tear filled retirement press conference. 

That is the best thing for the Pats, now.

The thing is they should have done the best thing for the Pats before...let Billy trade Brady to get some pretty decent value for him last year and prep Jimmy Garops to take over and lead this year.

Seriously, regardless of their super bowl appearance that was a big mistake on Kraft's part...stopping Belichek.   

EDIT:  they trusted him enough to do it with Bledsoe and look at how that worked out.  He did it with Bernie in Cleveland, too.

They should have trusted him with cutting the cord on Brady.

No matter how much Billy likes his best dog he has no problem taking it out back behind the woodshed and shooting it in the head.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 7

Just now, All_Pro_Bills said:

Whenever I see a Mahomes reference I recall how a lot of posters were moaning and groaning about how the Bills passed on Dak Prescott.   

I didn't want Mahomes. Thought he needed to much help with his footwork for our staff to correct. Just saw an opportunity for some comedy.

I will believe Tom Brady's decline when I see it, to me Brady still looks like a top 5 QB. Father time is undefeated I don't doubt Brady will start to decline at some point and maybe that point is now, I don't think there has been a QB that has played well beyond age 40 so it possible he has started to hit the wall or at least the beginning of the wall. 

But Brady's numbers still are good, over 2 to 1 TD to INT ration, 67% plus completion percentage and on pace for right around 4000 yards. So even if Brady's are strength is starting to become limited it hasn't shown to be a problem for him in any meaningful way during games. That's not to say that it won't be a problem in the future as maybe teams get more tape and figure out ways to make them pay for it. But I also think BB will gameplan around any limitations. 

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

I will believe Tom Brady's decline when I see it, to me Brady still looks like a top 5 QB. Father time is undefeated I don't doubt Brady will start to decline at some point and maybe that point is now, I don't think there has been a QB that has played well beyond age 40 so it possible he has started to hit the wall or at least the beginning of the wall. 

But Brady's numbers still are good, over 2 to 1 TD to INT ration, 67% plus completion percentage and on pace for right around 4000 yards. So even if Brady's are strength is starting to become limited it hasn't shown to be a problem for him in any meaningful way during games. That's not to say that it won't be a problem in the future as maybe teams get more tape and figure out ways to make them pay for it. But I also think BB will gameplan around any limitations. 

He has the worst QB rating in the league when facing a blitz this season. That’s not the same Tom Brady that slayed the Bills time and time again. 

10 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

No he is the best of his era maybe.

He's almost lost as many Super Bowls as Kelly and won more than any other QB. Even his negatives put him in the company of the best to ever play. As sickening as that is.

52 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

That's exactly what I see too, right down to the design of the offense.

In Kelly's final 2 years, that offense was in real trouble when they couldn't run.

I don't think Brady wants to play past when he can be Brady, so it wouldn't shock me if he retired as soon as the end of this season if he felt that were the case.

They're all done this year - Brady, Gronk & Belichick. 

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, Augie said:

Yeah, we should hope he really does play until he’s 45, but looks like Kelly did at the end the whole time! When that arm went, I remember wishing Kelly would just sit down. Maybe he didn’t eat as much avocado ice cream as Brady, but it won’t last forever. 

Yeah, that's because Kelly wasn't protected liked this fluller nutter Brady---starting with the tuck rule. How many times did the announcers used to bring up the fact that Paterno wanted Kelly to be a linebacker at Penn State & he was tough as nails---well the refs bought into this narrative & used to let Jimbo get creamed with late hits. This pounding led to a shoulder injury one year & shortened Jimbo's career.

New England beat Kansas City 43-40 a month ago. 

I'd wait and see how this year plays out.  

Gronk's injuries are starting to take their toll, Edelman missed 4 games, Michel has been hurt to the point they are starting a WR at RB. 

All of that may not explain away the dip in the numbers, but the Patriots are the only team that outgunned the Chiefs so far. 

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

He's right, and Belichick saw it coming.

Their entire offseason, draft, and in-season game plan was/is predicated upon transitioning to a run-based offense.  If they can't run the ball, they're in real trouble.

They've scored 27 or more points 5 times this year, and those outputs came in their 5 best rushing efforts.

Stop the run, and you stop NE.  We saw it vs. Buf on MNF--a team with a half-competent offense would've won that game.

...kind of surprising Belichick has no long term plan if Brady starts running on six cylinders versus eight.......let Jimmy G go......let the Brissett kid go and even the Colts declined to listen for trade offers...isn't Hoyer their backup?......hard to imagine he'd fall into the "run or we're done" trap......

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Yeah, we should hope he really does play until he’s 45, but looks like Kelly did at the end the whole time! When that arm went, I remember wishing Kelly would just sit down. Maybe he didn’t eat as much avocado ice cream as Brady, but it won’t last forever. 

I remember reading an article a few years ago where they analyzed the productivity of all of the great quarterbacks at the end of their careers. The point was that some last longer than others; however, for almost all of them, when they did eventually decline, the decline went very quickly. It will be interesting to see what happens with Brady over the next season.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...kind of surprising Belichick has no long term plan if Brady starts running on six cylinders versus eight.......let Jimmy G go......let the Brissett kid go and even the Colts declined to listen for trade offers...isn't Hoyer their backup?......hard to imagine he'd fall into the "run or we're done" trap......

He was forced to let Jimmy G. go. He had it all set up. He also had a trade set so he could move on from Gronk. Bill the GM hasn’t been that impressive but it looks like he would have been right on both of those moves.

10 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

He was forced to let Jimmy G. go. He had it all set up. He also had a trade set so he could move on from Gronk. Bill the GM hasn’t been that impressive but it looks like he would have been right on both of those moves.

...forced by Jimmy's potential tariff?.....Kraft interfering?.......can you clarify?............