Most Famous Bills Fan you ever met

Buffalo716

After I came back to NYC after going to college at UB, I was struggling to find a job and wound up working a couple weeks of retail in the Greenwich Village Tower Records jazz dept.  -- an area that covered a lot of other mini-sections, including soundtracks. This stringy-haired, 30-something guy comes in with a beautiful girl hanging off him -- I recognize him instantly. He coyly asks me "do you have this soundtrack...it's really sweet, the director wrote all this interstitial music, etc...Buffalo 66." Thankfully, the soundtrack had come in earlier in the day and since I loved the movie, I had displayed it prominently on an endcap. Halfway to the display, I decided to gently bust his ruse, but with a compliment: "I loved your film, Mr. Gallo." He then launched into the classic "did you know this guy and that girl?" but he is over a decade older than me, so I mostly did not; however, in contrast to his reputation, Vincent Gallo was an exceptionally nice person, at least for the span of that conversation.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I thought this would be a good lighthearted thread that could potentially be good...

who is the most famous Bills fan you ever met and how did it happen?

Me: I was at the Bills home opener about 3-4 years ago and I’m stumbling up the street and I look up and who do I see?!? 

Mother effing Shooter McGavin from Happy Gilmore !! ??

I gave him a good shooooter! Followed by a Damn you people , go back to your shanties!

he liked that ?

About 15 years ago in Honolulu Hawaii, Bob Seeger and Chris Berhman were getting trashed at one of the end of Pier Bars, both were easy going, friendly and very talkative. Seeger reminded those around him that he played Buffalo right after Bills beat the Dolphins ending the losing streak in September 1980 and the city was crazy! Good times and two great fans!

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Russert..by far!!!

Thanksgiving Eve 1994. DC was empty. Wife and I  walk  to this African BBQ place in Adams Morgan and plop down the corner of the bar, Tim and his wife walk in and sit ar other end. We are the only 4 people in the place. I get all excited and want to go say hi, wife says let the guy have his drink in peace, he does not need a chucklehead Bills fan ruining his evening.

I got an idea.I  wore a Niagara Purple Eagles shell  to the place, and told my wife,,I am going to put this on like we are leaving and walk past him towards the head and see what he says.

As soon as I started to pull that thing on..that voice of his booms across the bar"hey.did you go to Niagara? 

Starts the conversation and we move over and spend the next 40 minutes talking Bills and having drinks, explaining DTV as he was still going to the studio to watch games and I had Sunday Ticket . Both wives were talking chit on us for geeking over Buffalo and the Bills..it was just a great night! 

Course Bills get stomped the next day on Thanksgiving

Know people personally not from Buffalo who met and loved Tim Russert!

1 hour ago, BillsFanNC said:

I met John Wayne Bobbitt at a Bills game in the mid 90s.

Ha, when I was writing for UB's paper, one of the editors had just come from the airport where she had shared a cab with a mother and son. At one point, she claimed, the woman had leaned over to her, conspiratorially, as if trying to set up her son. "He's famous...he's John Wayne Bobbitt." This would have been shortly after his "incident" making him the center of news, yet I had zero idea he had any connection to Buffalo.

I also met Isiah Robertson. Bills stayed at Hotel Niagra for a while when they help training camp at Niagra. My sister was the late night controller or some such thing. Long story, she got to know Isiah and they actually went out on a date! Father insisted he pick her up at the house..and he did! So I met him in our house for about 5 minutes !

After the date, they came back and had Sara Lee cheesecake and coffee..but I was not allowed in kitchen !!!!!

Always thought it was cool my Dad, who was 60 at the time, had no issue with his  daughter going on a date with a black guy..certainly not the norm in 1980 for his peer group.

11 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

Well since I met him after his football career was over and he's definitely a Bills fan, Don Beebe.  He runs a top notch football camp in our area and he and his staff coached one of my sons for 4 years.  Spoke to him on a few occasions and since my wife and I had season tickets while he played in Buffalo, we had some things to talk about.  Terrific guy and a terrific coach.  He works pretty closely with a lot of the kids.

Never met "Steeler Killer" but always seemed like a good guy (from a fan's perspective). Also had a poignant moment in the "Four Falls of Buffalo" biopic, where he talked about (I'm seriously paraphrasing here off of memory) winning a SB with Green Bay in '96 after leaving Buffalo, and how Favre handed him the ball at the end and tells him this is for him, he deserves it--but that at that moment all he could think about was how special that moment would have been in a Bills uniform instead--anyway, always liked him, thanks for sharing.    

10 hours ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

you must be super young to not know who whitesnake is.

I was kind of being a little facetious (I'm 56). I barely knew the band when I met him, and beyond a couple of radio hits, really don't know their stuff. Was always more of a Sinatra guy than anything else.

Edited by LABillzFan
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, dlonce said:

Leon Spinx and Rick James ,beotch.

Obviously, James was a Bills fan and surprisingly so was Leon.

Sat next to them In the stands behind Bills bench,during the Chuck Knox era. Yes they were in the stands for the experience.

Those were great season tickets.

We bought each other beers. They had some big old body guards around them. Both had fur coats on.

Star struck fans bothered the hell out of them.

That’s one thing that doesn’t impress me, being in the public eye. 

Rick James had seasons by ours when I was young- always decked out in leather with a girl on each arm. He was always very polite to everyone and truly loved the Bills. We were on the aisle when he would walk past would always say hi to me.

• Like (+1) 1