Sean McDermott is Out of Answers

Just now, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

You say this as if when these players get older it guarantees us a better team.

Remember when Tom Modrak talked about the "jump" players make from Year 1 to Year 2 like it was a given?

I remember an interview about Chris Ellis (3rd Rounder VT  2007/2008) and how he would just keep improving and improving. 

This is never a given in this league.

How did practice time work for T.J. Graham? 

11 minutes ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

DeFilippo has 8 games of experience as an OC. Before that never higher than QB coach. It might work but McDermott has a much more extensive resume and I think we need to give the rebuild time. 

San Jose State, Browns, also been a Offensive Quality control Coach and developed QBs. What has McD done on offense besides one failed OC already, Historically bad offense, passing on Mahomes?

Edited by MAJBobby

3 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I love this built-in excuse of the $80 million in cap money next year. Do you know how many teams have a lot of cap space for next year? This has the potential of a roll-over excuse for McBeane next year too if they don't end up spending much of that. 

The truth is...we have less young talent than we should in year 2 of what a successful rebuild would. We shouldn't have this many band-aids on offense in year 2. We basically still need to put together an entire offense with skill players and at least 3 positions on the offensive line. It's downright scary how much work there is to do on that side of the ball. 

Disagree that you can claim this.. I think we've seen plenty from the defensive side.  The thing about the 40% stat of the team made up by year 1 and 2 players is that year 1 and 2 players have THE most room to improve (when compared to a veteran).  So the Bills have got significant upswing potential on their roster.

Shore up the O-Line in the draft.

Add an explosive WR in FA

40% of the roster now in year 2 and 3 results in improved play

...I just don't think tossing McDermott is the best idea.

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I assume other teams than just the Bills are rebuilding.

Hard to imagine anyone else having as few players on the roster who were draft 3 or more years ago.

What we're doing seems to be uncommon......

Tear an offense down to nothing. 

And replace one piece, the Quarterback with a QB that was marginal at Wyoming. 

That's it. 

Cut your WR signing (Kerley) and trade (Coleman) and best UDFA (Foster). 

1 minute ago, Success said:

No, but I can guess at what they’re doing.  It’s a total rebuild - which they will never tell the media.

Fans here aren’t used to that kind of rebuild.  We’re used to regimes that try to take half measures in the spirit of staying minimally competitive.

That's being used a crutch now. Part of the rebuilding process, a big part, is talent development. Who's being developed right now on the offensive side of the ball? What are we getting out of having Derek Anderson start these games? Why don't we have another young QB that we could be giving these valuable starts to develop as a legitimate backup or possible starter in case Allen's a bust? They've had 2 offseasons to find one. They watched Peterman last year, it was definitely enough to see he wasn't a guy they should have solely relied on to be the backup.

Beane and McDermott are either inept or flat out lazy for not being able to find literally ANY other options. Neither is a good thing. 

1 minute ago, Jobot said:

Disagree that you can claim this.. I think we've seen plenty from the defensive side.  The thing about the 40% stat of the team made up by year 1 and 2 players is that year 1 and 2 players have THE most room to improve (when compared to a veteran).  So the Bills have got significant upswing potential on their roster.

Shore up the O-Line in the draft.

Add an explosive WR in FA

40% of the roster now in year 2 and 3 results in improved play

...I just don't think tossing McDermott is the best idea.

any ideas?

10 minutes ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

DeFilippo has 8 games of experience as an OC. Before that never higher than QB coach. It might work but McDermott has a much more extensive resume and I think we need to give the rebuild time. 

Buffalo Bills. Always in rebuild. 

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Tear an offense down to nothing. 

And replace one piece, the Quarterback with a QB that was marginal at Wyoming. 

That's it. 

Cut your WR signing (Kerley) and trade (Coleman) and best UDFA (Foster). 

The offense is a disaster.

Every decision this team has made with McDermott as HC on that side of the ball has been a terrible one. 

Just now, Soda Popinski said:

I think he knew this was coming as part of the rebuild we were always going to struggle this year.   

They have 2019 and that's it. 

You trot Allen out there with this "revamped" offense and he's still struggling, we're getting blown out. 

See ya McDermott and Beane. 

i don't listen to the pressers but it sounds like his verbal answers are as lifeless as physical presence on the sidelines is.  Just once I'd like to see him get really pissed off at a player for making a dumb penalty that brings back a good play.

It couldn't bother me less.  

He would be a fool to speak in the heat of the moment with anymore detail.  Hell, Jackson was just made a fool for doing that same thing and now he doesn't have a job.  

He does not owe the fans anything.  At all.  

What he says to the media is obviously not what he says to the team.  That is all that matters. 

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

You trot Allen out there with this "revamped" offense and he's still struggling, we're getting blown out. 

Why wait though?

Based on the results over the past 25 games, why would anyone with a brain in their head entrust Beane and McDermott to fix the offense? 

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Maybe, but I don't think so.  I think McDermott and Beane have Pegula convinced that the process is going to take a while.  I do believe that 2020 is make or break.   They had 3 years to build a culture, draft a QB, and remake the roster.  

In 2019 there will be a ton of new faces starting, I don't expect everything to jell overnight.    It never does for the Bills.   And Allen was not a year and a half project.  He's not going to be much better in 2019 than he is right now.