A Few Thoughts about the Patriots Game, in no particular order

Virgil

There are street QBs out there now that can throw well enough in a chuck and duck O that can get us 14 pts. I'll take them over this offensive system and crap WRs.

That QB - Holmes, Croom, Jones, Ray Ray and possibly Phillips with Ivory in the backfield.

At least those guys care...

I'm trying so damn hard to believe in McDermott but with each game I see more of Dick Jauron in him. He has obviously no clue what to do offensively.  Keeping Peterman to start the season validates the fact that neither he or Beane can evaluate offensive players.  Shady is starting to dance laterally like Spiller. Logan Thomas and Dimarco are terrible players. So much needs to change. Maybe too much. This fan base deserves so much better.

35 minutes ago, ChattanoogaBills said:

49ers have goodwin ? pierre garcon. At wrs so they have us beat easily.

And of course it's not like the 49ers went into the season with only Nick Mullens (who? he's on their depth charts) at QB and recently cut Tom Savage waiting in the wings ... they are in this predicament thanks to an injury to Jimmy G. We are in this predicament on purpose.

• Like (+1) 1

It was frustrating to see how completely beatable that team was tonight.  Not something I would have said a lot over the years.

The Bills would have won with some of the more middlin’ teams we had over the years.  The Pats are still well coached, but they’re really not scary anymore.  Even Gronk seemed pretty stoppable, and their defense has very little talent.

lol at blaming Dabol.

In one paragraph you say the receivers aren't getting separation, and then you blame Dabol?? 

He's got Derek Anderson as his QB

He's got KB as his no. 1, a decent Zay Jones and NO ONE ELSE. 

He's go an OL that can't make a push

What exactly does he have to work with?

I really liked the game plan tonight. The players just couldn't execute it.

The only thing I hated was punting on 4th down in the 4th Q before the Pats drove for their first TD.  That's a two-down situation there on 3rd down. Play to win, McD. Punting sucks there. 

The Bills fielded a QB with three weeks of play time in the NFL this game and he actually did good considering that fact.  22 of 39 for 290 yards, 1 INT, 3 sacks, 2 fumbles. With LeSean McCoy as the leading receiver with 6 receptions for 82 yards. (Zay also had 6 rec)

However, rushing McCoy went 12 carries for 13 yards!

Now, Ya think the Patriots were keying on stopping the run against Shady? Those stats tell me he is getting hit in the backfield as soon as he touches the ball. 

At least Anderson is targeting McCoy more often with check downs when he sees nobody open deep. This is the bigger problem with this team in my view as this offensive coaching staff stinks big time. Brian Daboll is still calling for more downfield throws from a QB that has been on the roster, in the NFL for three weeks! Same thing he did for Josh Allen!

#10. I whole heartedly agree with as this man isn't setting up an offense for a rookie QB or for someone that has limited prep/practice time. Putting the ball in the hands of the QB and forcing him to carry the offense by himself is downright ridiculous, for a rookie QB, for limited experienced QB in Peterman, for a guy just off the street.  

The Buffalo Bills defense would be so much better with a better run game that could gain yards, control the clock, move the chains, score and keep the defense off the field and fresh. This team used to have such a dominate run game the last few years and even last season they were #4 in rush attempts, #6 in rushing yards. This year? This year the 2018 Buffalo Bills are #13 in rushing attempts, #21 in rushing yards! 

I agree, I've seen enough of Brian Daboll as the OC and fire the run game coordinator/line coach in Juan Castillo too!  

Edited by Nihilarian

1 hour ago, jahnyc said:

Our players on offense are all generally below or well below average other than Shady and maybe Clay, but does Daboll make things worse?  Hard for me to figure out at this point.

I'm taking Zay in that group as well

The entire organization is just inept. You almost have to purposely screw things up to get a clusterf**k of an offense like this. They completely mishandled the QB situation and now you have guys who wouldn't be that good in a college game having to work with offensive talent that on its best days rises to barely below average. At this point the Bills are becoming like the old St. Louis Browns, perpetual doormats who never seriously challenge for a championship. Whether its the owners, the GM, or the coaches, there simply is no talent in the front office, which means there is less than adequate talent on the field. It's depressing as hell, and the rest of the season is a complete waste of everyone's time. Just awful.

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

You write a 10 section novella and nothing about the QB?

The story of this game and why we lost is that we don't have a QB on the roster, and that's not going to change any time soon.

McBeane shot his foot off and wants us to believe it will grow back. He got his big war chest and draft picks but none of that comes with a single guarantee. 

Sorry if this comes off douchy, but I'm fighting a couple drinks to type this up.  I think our D pressure cost the game.  We got a few moral victories from our D pressure packages, but more D moral losses in that regard.  Seriously, bringing 8 and getting nowhere near the QB  Yay, we made Brady throw 2 errant passes.  

Plenty of concepts have been developed, and we need a coach who understands his opponent, and calls the better alignments more often than not.  Our D could've done better with the talent at hand.  Brady's a ***** pansy princess primadonna... get to him.  

That's his weakness ferkrissake

You don't play these fuggers 1 on 1, you go after the damn quarterback

17 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Sorry if this comes off douchy, but I'm fighting a couple drinks to type this up.  I think our D pressure cost the game.  We got a few moral victories from our D pressure packages, but more D moral losses in that regard.  Seriously, bringing 8 and getting nowhere near the QB  Yay, we made Brady throw 2 errant passes.  

Plenty of concepts have been developed, and we need a coach who understands his opponent, and calls the better alignments more often than not.  Our D could've done better with the talent at hand.  Brady's a ***** pansy princess primadonna... get to him.  

That's his weakness ferkrissake

You don't play these fuggers 1 on 1, you go after the damn quarterback

The Patriots offense put up 38, 38, 43, and 24 points since they got Edelman back.  Our defense only gave up 18 and is not the problem.  Brady is lethal against the blitz and the only way you can keep him in check is to pressure him with 4 or 5 as the Giants proved twice in the Superbowl.  I had no problem with the game plan.

Edited by Doc Brown

Was going to put this in the Benjamin thread, but decided to put it here since its more than just about Benjamin and hits on some of the OPs points:

I'm not a fan who normally throws guys under the bus and I was a big Benjamin supporter at the trade last year and going into this season, but I can't support him anymore. At least twice tonight he had to be told where to line up. Zay's mom's tweet was right, he still doesn't know the offense. He made one great catch tonight. But, also cost us 15 yards on a great play by Shady and on the same drive got an offensive pass interference call, which didn't matter because he dropped the well thrown ball from Anderson on the 3rd and 15 play anyways. He doesn't fight for or back to the ball. Had his usual 2 of 7 for 45 yards. Way too many drops. No fire in the belly.

Another guy I'm done with is Charles Clay. Not only is he not helping, the guy is 6'5", he should be a match-up problem, but lately he has actually been hurting the team. The fumble last week and the false start and missed blocking assignments tonight. This is one of the worst signings in recent history, not only because of the money, but because he has fooled the Bills into not looking to improve their TE spot for four years now. Another guy who has no killer instinct. Too soft.

And I don't think anyone can blame it on the lack of QB talent anymore. As bad as it has been, these guys have not capitalized on the opportunities that they have had. I think they actually drag the unit down. Either trade them or let them sit and see if some of the young guys can do any better. 

Look at the way that defense played tonight. The fire, the passion. That is the DNA that McDermott talks about...but it is sorely lacking on the offense. On the offense I would say Shady, Ivory, Zay, and Dawkins have it. Not sure if anyone else does. 

And Daboll has been a huge disappointment. Many saw it coming, but I hoped for the best. I liked coming out with the wildcat, etc. But he stuck with it too long. You might catch a Patriots team a couple times in a game with something, but not if you run it over and over right in a row. And you don't beat the Patriots by tricking them or out scheming them. The only way to beat the Patriots is to hit them in the mouth. Out tough them. They should have been pounding the rock with Ivory early, setting up screens for Shady, and hitting Zay over the middle. Then put Ray Ray or someone in there to run a few fly routes to keep the defense honest. 

His offense seems to be way too complicated to learn (at least for this team due to lack of experience or smarts) and yet the creativity is sorely lacking outside of a couple of moments here and there. Or trying 10 trick plays in a row. Early in the season he tried to pass too much with young QBs, a shaky O-line, and receivers who didn't get separation. I just don't think he is putting his players in the best position to be successful. Yes, there is a severe lack of talent, but a good coordinator will maximize the talent he has. As bad as our offensive talent is, they are actually underperforming, as a unit and as individuals. Another swing and a miss for McDermott with offensive coordinators. I think McD is an excellent coach and deserves more time to turn this thing around, I still believe in the plan, but he has to hit on his next offensive coordinator.

That said, I'm happy for the most part with how the team played tonight. They did not come out flat, they knocked Brady around, kept the game close until late. It actually felt like we had a chance to win before that fumble. They did not embarrass themselves by any means. With just a little more offense, this would have been a game.

And not to let the refs off the hook...the block in the back call on Murphy's big return was bs, Logan hit his own man in the back who was engaged with a Patriot player. Starting at the 11 instead of the 36 on the critical opening drive of the 2nd half in a 9-3 game, was big. And our D-line got held all game, but the Pats only got called once or twice for holding. They were inconsistent with the offensive pass interference calls (for both teams). The one Brady play was definitely intentional grounding. That ball never made it back to the line of scrimmage. We almost got a delay of game penalty because the ref stood over the ball too long as the play clock was winding down. As usual, not the reason we lost, but not good either.  

Edited by folz
  • Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The Patriots offense put up 38, 38, 43, and 24 points since they got Edelman back.  Our defense only gave up 18 and is not the problem.  Brady is lethal against the blitz and the only way you can keep him in check is to pressure him with 4 or 5 as the Giants proved twice in the Superbowl.  I had no problem with the game plan.

Bring blind-side corner blitzes, run some wide 9 early, I don't care if we give up 17 on the first 3 drives, just nail his ass.  Rattle him for the rest of the game.  Brady is sub-par when he's pressured, that's his ***** weakness and it's so painfully obvious

but we never exploit it

When the defense causes turnovers and keep the field short we win.   Today, the defense was good but did not create those turnovers.  We had a few chances including a chance for a pick-six and missed it.   Those are the small things the Pats do very well to make a difference. 

The DL got a lot of pressure on Brady, but the scheme gives Brady all the time to pick up first downs with quick passes.  Loss of Edmunds in the 3rd quarter hurt us.  Also, the Pats OL always holds and gets away with it. 

I am actually struggling to understand why Anderson is the starting QB.  He was brought here to mentor Josh Allen, not play QB for the Bills.  I would have preferred that this team actually play Nate even though he may struggle like Anderson.  After all Anderson has equally been this turnover machine.  Now with his hand injury it may not matter that Nate will start next week.  I really can't wait for Allen to come back

I have a hard time blaming Daboll for this.  Is he supposed to scout and draft/sign offensive linemen who can move around and not whiff on their blocks on 50% of the plays?  Or if those guys are on the team, isn't Castillo to blame for the inept coaching?

Brandon Beane should be fired, Juan Castillo should be fired.  Daboll, I'm not so sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

#10. Thank you for saying that about Daboll. The guy straight up doesn’t have it. He’s never succeeded in the NFL, and now he’s the leader of a historically bad offence

did you see his fantastic placard one was scrap book paper.  He has no idea what an NFL offense looks like.   We need to spread and run and throw from spread we run everything out of bunched formations makes it easy for the defense.    The first few plays he had Anderson spread wide but never see a real receiver there.  Plus the WC worked twice and he keeps trying after the Pats realized no threat to throw or do anything but run up middle

• Like (+1) 1

I only watched the 1st quarter. It was all you needed to see. Defenders playing zone 7 yards off the receivers and nobody covering White out of the backfield. 5-7 yards every play easy. I'm not even going to mention the offense. They can run all the wildcat they want, nobody is scared. You guys better hope they build a dome stadium so we can stop being a run first, play good defense team because we play in bad weather. This team is unwatchable compared to the rest of the NFL. Wake me up when they come into the 21st century