Has the light finally gone on for Zay Jones?

KOKO NFL

• 2 weeks later...

How Zay Jones played a pivotal role in the Bills offense plus 4 final observations on Week 10 in the NFL

1. ZAY JONES SHINES

It was a good day for Buffalo’s offense in many facets. The run game found some of its best traction of the season. The passing game provided good balance under the direction of Matt Barkley, and the offensive line put together their most consistent game of the season.

One other major area where Buffalo’s offense proved consistent was on third down. Playing a large role in that effort was WR Zay Jones.

The second-year receiver had a team-leading eight receptions on 11 targets for 93 yards and a touchdown in the win. Six of those eight catches came on third down.

vgokzjuanv3tidernujs.jpg

Sometimes it takes receivers 2 or 3 years to get going.  Nobody remembers this but Eric Moulds was afraid he was going to get cut going into his third year coming out of training camp and really worked his ass off during the offseason to make sure that didn't happen...his first year he had 279 yards receiving and his second year he had 294 yards receiving.  Then he exploded in his 3rd season...he realized he couldn't just rely on his athleticism and talent he had to work hard too...

On a side note, it really, really sucks that Moulds finished at 9995 career receiving yards...I think I would have played until I was put into garbage time to catch a 5 yard pass from someone to hit 10K yards...

Zay is going to be fine...he has been running some good routes, even at times when he isn't getting the ball he has been open.  He probably won't be a #1 WR but I think he could develop into a nice #2 sort of like Robert Woods and play a very nice complementary role for us.  Whatever his issue with drops was last year, that is long past him now.  Catch rate has improved from 37.5% last year to 62.7% this year which is still not great, but I think a lot has to do with who is throwing the ball and who is around him also.  Also his separation yards are 2.7 which ties him with Julio Jones...he is improving, I expect another big strep next year for him...

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/receiving#average-separation

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's hard to tell because the camera is a little blurry/it happens pretty quickly, but are my eyes deceiving me or does Zay call for Barkley to throw it up high for him and then Barkley literally throws it so low that Zay has to dive to the ground to catch it?