Andy Benoit: How Do the Bills Keep Pulling Off Upsets?

Generally fair article although I am growing tired of the "least talented team in the NFL" narrative.  I do not like these casual generalizations in any arguement and it cheapens his analysis in my opinion. This is clearly not the case on defense, and while a valid argument might be made on offense especially given results, they do have some talent.  The problem is the talent at QB is raw and undeveloped and he lacks any consistent playmakers other than Shady.  While we all see the problems with the OL, it does not grade out from those that do this as the worst in the league, especially across the board.  That is non-sense.  (Link to Football Outsiders as of 10/2: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol ) (We are the worst in the league as far as sacks allowed goes, but I think most here realize that Allen bears a fair bit of responsibility for that)  RB position is good, and I would argue the tight end group is serviceable if not spectacular. The WR group is an abortion.  Jones may one day be a decent slot receiver option if there are other playmakers around him taking attention, but he is not going to be a difference maker in this current team makeup.  The rest - yuck. 

All that said, I agree with his assessment that McD has an ability to get the most out of what he has despite the holes.  He gets players to buy in and believe in themselves, and believe in a team concept.  If he can maintain this while they continue to build the talent level, we may well have something here.

Call it a feeling, hope that's been starved too long or whatever, but IMO both McD and Allen each exhibit certain authentic leadership qualities that a team can get behind and rally around. For all their warts, and there are many, that's something different at HC and QB than we've seen in a long time, even if the flashy stats still have to catch up along the way. Just for recent comparison's sake, for all his off-season bluster/bravado & sheer entertainment value, did anyone here ever really take sexy rexy all that seriously once the real games started and we weren't tabulating wins and losses of press conferences anymore? Well, that probably goes for the teams that played for him here in Buffalo also. And I have to scroll back to early run Bledsoe or Flutie Flakes before recalling a QB with even close competitive, vocal moxie the likes of which Allen shows. I believe that this thing will gel and give us something positive to talk about for years to come.    

42 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

They've had arguably the best defense in the NFL since halftime of the Chargers game. 

Yeah they are. Benoint stated today that the safety play has been exceptional. They disguise the coverage so well.

On 10/8/2018 at 4:27 PM, teef said:

from, "losing the team" to pulling off upsets.  what a crazy world we live in. 

I know a lot of people think I am nuts but I honestly think McDermott used Vontae walking out to fire the team up. They were not an NFL standard team for 6 Quarters. They are still undertalented but they have been competitive for the most part since. 

Sean McDermott can coach. I really wanna see him with a talented group of players. Over to the FO. 

On 10/8/2018 at 8:06 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Rex might still be coaching here if he had had Hauschka instead of Carpenter.    

He wanted to play Jauron Ball too but didn't want to pay attention to detail.

Thank God he didn't then. 

On 10/8/2018 at 8:32 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Seattle was an exception to the rule with their 4 year run of defensive dominance..........they wouldn't give up an inch on defense and they won the SB with the youngest team in the NFL but just 3 years later their window was closed because it's very hard to sustain competitiveness with a defense first mentality.

Because to maintain that dominant defense you need to pay more guys. You need the edge rusher, you need the corner, you need the tone setters in the middle at MLB and S. Oh and you also better be able to give your D a rest by running the ball, so you need an oline - and that was the bit that closed their window first - the ridiculous Unger for Graham trade. 

Impossible to pay them all so you have to keep drafting well and Seattle has not done that. Pete's advantage early was he knew the college guys. He knew who would fit his scheme. Now he doesn't. 

• Like (+1) 1

OBL 10-9: Peter King on the signing of QB Derek Anderson; Andy Benoit on Bills play-making defense leading the way for early season upsets

We discussed the biggest factors in the improvement of the Bills defense. NBC Sports’ Peter King gave his thoughts on Bills QB Derek Anderson and other news around the league (53:12). SI NFL analyst Andy Benoit went into detail on his article on how the Bills keeps pulling off upset wins with a play-making defense (1:36:41).

On October 8, 2018 at 5:44 AM, SCBills said:

Nice article, but I disagree with the Defense assessment.   He’s basically saying it’s scheme over talent.  I think scheme is big, but we also have some serious talent.  

He says we have no pass rush outside of Hughes. Well, Hughes is pretty dang good, and Murphy is starting to show signs of life after missing last year.   

He then compliments our DT’s.. Last time I checked, strong DT’s push the line back into the QB and disrupt/help edge rushers.  

Also goes on to say good things about all our linebackers.  

Calls Tre White our only good Corner, then talks about the great play of Taron Johnson (who’s balled out all year). 

Somehow leaves out that we have one of the best Safety tandems in the NFL. 

I agree with him that McDermott is a great defensive mind, but let’s no go overboard.. he’s got a lot to work with on that side of the ball. 

Yeah, he actually said they have no great corners, except for White.  Well, in standard defense you only play two so one being great is a big deal.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, jrober38 said:

They've had arguably the best defense in the NFL since halftime of the Chargers game. 

Belichick's teams do this all the time. They start out looking like they've finally started their decline for a couple games before suddenly turning it on after week 2 or so. I hope we can get the offense figured out because McDermott is the best defensive coach we've had during the drought, no contest. Even if Allen busts I would be inclined to keep McDermott and Beane.

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Belichick's teams do this all the time. They start out looking like they've finally started their decline for a couple games before suddenly turning it on after week 2 or so. I hope we can get the offense figured out because McDermott is the best defensive coach we've had during the drought, no contest. Even if Allen busts I would be inclined to keep McDermott and Beane.

If Allen busts the rest of the roster HAS to look a hell of a lot better than it does now for me to consider retaining Beane. If by say 2020 we are in the position we were going into 2015 with a roster that excluding Quarterback is top 5 or 6 in the league but is being let down by QB play then I would keep Beane and let him take another shot. 

McDermott I divorce from that slightly. If he overachieves his talent every year then why would you fire him? If Allen busts and the roster is still bad you just can his mate, reduce Sean's FO power and bring an experienced GM (not a first timer.... think Dorsey going into Cleveland) in to run the personnel side. 

If your'e talking about our last win, look no further than the +3 turnover ratio we had most of the game.

It dwindled to +2, but that's still great.

There is no greater indicator of wins than turnover ratio.

You win that, you win a lot of games.