Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

28 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I wasn’t able to watch the game, as I was driving all over VT today for my son’s hockey games.  I have it recorded....I probably won’t watch.  I knew coming into this game that ODU was a very tough defensive team, and would give SU a game.  I think they’re ranked in the top 20 in ppg allowed, IIRC.  Recipe for disaster for Syracuse who is playing a very ugly brand of basketball right now.

How does JB seem to pull it all together by the end of the season most years?  Last season they looked like a NIT team at best, and made a run to the final 4.  I just don’t get it.  This team has waaaaaay too much talent to be sucking so badly right now.  So disappointing.  Hopefully JB has some of that magic left in the tank.

Sweet 16

but I’m nitpicking ?

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Sweet 16

but I’m nitpicking ?

I knew that...I think ?

But doesn’t it seem like a pattern?  The 2016 team, for example, was nothing special during the regular season.  Then exploded in the NCAA’s.  IDK...been a long day on the road and in cold hockey rinks ?

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I knew that...I think ?

But doesn’t it seem like a pattern?  The 2016 team, for example, was nothing special during the regular season.  Then exploded in the NCAA’s.  IDK...been a long day on the road and in cold hockey rinks ?

No you are exactly right... the Boeheim teams from 05-12 would come out on fire. Often starting 12-0, 15-0 etc and being top 10 And a  force...

now they seem like super slow starters who don’t peak till February, March... which can be frustrating but rewarding if they make the tourney 

Boeheim runs an NBA iso offense and sometimes it takes a long time to get rocking... 

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

No you are exactly right... the Boeheim teams from 05-12 would come out on fire. Often starting 12-0, 15-0 etc and being top 10 And a  force...

now they seem like super slow starters who don’t peak till February, March... which can be frustrating but rewarding if they make the tourney 

Boeheim runs an NBA iso offense and sometimes it takes a long time to get rocking... 

There are not as many "cupcakes" as there used to be.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

There are not as many "cupcakes" as there used to be.

Thats true 

but

Boeheim doesn’t have The talent rn of past teams... it’s gonna take a few recruiting classes after the sanctions 

there was a time when he had 5* top 7 pick Dion Waiters coming off the bench because they were so good

and a streak of 6 straight years with a first round picks

they arent there again yet

Uh.. how is U Buffalo this good??

43 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Orange need this one.  Hopefully they play 40 minutes and play hard.  Take the ball to the rack and draw fouls, and lay off the long ball a little bit.  Need Brissett and Chukwu to step up on offense.  LGO Orange!!!!

Tyus Battle is the best player on the court babee

They should be embarrassed. All due respect to UB, they've been building a program over the course of the last 4 or 5 years. That still doesn't mean anything, or shouldn't to Syracuse. Those kids should be embarrassed they lost to UB. St. John's has always been the only in state school a loss to was acceptable. Everyone else should be beaten. Again, no disrespect to UB. They're a good team, but this is just the standard for Syracuse basketball.

I actually fear their bball program is going to go the way the football has. Why would a kid want to go to Syracuse? 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, eball said:

I love that this is a BUFFALO sports forum and I now get to troll a Syracuse thread!

Horns up! Go UB!!!!

This is a Bills forum. And a Sub forum for college sports and other things 

And admitting you just want to troll around shows how bad UB sports has been and how bad of winners some are lol you think SU would gloat about a win vs UB?

no matter how good UB is they wish they had the pedigree like SU and could recruit consistently like SU in basketball. 4 good seasons in 5 doesn’t make a program 

it makes a good run.

SU was dog**** last year and went to the sweet 16, something UB has never done. Boeheim sneezes that out 

I love UB sports but appreciate greatness and UB basketball still has nothing on SU as a program and 1 win doesn't change that .

Oats should aspire to become the consistent coach and program that Boeheim has built SU into

Edited by Buffalo716

Just now, eball said:

@Buffalo716 lighten up. You think we need a lesson in Syracuse basketball history vs. UB? You guys created a Syracuse thread and I’m here to crash it. UB is one of my two alma maters and I’ll gloat all I want!

Same with me .

and I created a SU thread because there are alot of SU fans here as well.

Tonight I was torn in between but I wouldn’t go to the UB thread to gloat... which there is one...

I love UB and think they absolutely have top 10 talent this season. They create a lot of mismatches

I actually thought we could have lost by more ub seemed to be jacking up a lot of bad 3s when Perkins was the player that was the mismatch for them the guy that hurt cuse bad last year in a close one. But to me this was about their guards shutting down battle most of the game, Howard being his usual lazy with the basketball self, and free throws 

It is all about matchups with Syracuse, always has been.  UB is a good shooting team & when the threes started falling I knew Cuse was in trouble.  This SU team is going to have an uphill battle making the tournament.  Too many bad losses already.  OD loss was horrible, Oregon, I don't know.  The ACC looks top heavy again this year with FSU/UNC/Duke/Virginia all looking strong.  

I am impressed with UB this year.  They are going to be a tough out in March.  Beat Marquette Friday & I am not sure when their next loss will be.  Getting ahead of myself but UB could end up with a top 4 seed.  Too bad Buffalo isn't hosting the first weekend this year.  That would be awesome if they got podded at the Arena for the first two rounds.  

Didn't they change the seeding so that hosting city teams can't play in their arena unless or until they get to Quarterfinal rounds.

13 minutes ago, Gordio said:

It is all about matchups with Syracuse, always has been.  UB is a good shooting team & when the threes started falling I knew Cuse was in trouble.  This SU team is going to have an uphill battle making the tournament.  Too many bad losses already.  OD loss was horrible, Oregon, I don't know.  The ACC looks top heavy again this year with FSU/UNC/Duke/Virginia all looking strong.  

I am impressed with UB this year.  They are going to be a tough out in March.  Beat Marquette Friday & I am not sure when their next loss will be.  Getting ahead of myself but UB could end up with a top 4 seed.  Too bad Buffalo isn't hosting the first weekend this year.  That would be awesome if they got podded at the Arena for the first two rounds.  

23 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Meh. All Syracuse has to do is finish above .500 to stay "on the bubble." That's how the system works. The elite are given every break. If UB lost that game, or if they lose to Marquette, an at-large but could go out the window.

3 hours ago, The Poojer said:

Didn't they change the seeding so that hosting city teams can't play in their arena unless or until they get to Quarterfinal rounds.

The rule is they can't be the host team(either Canisius or Niagara would have to be the host team) & as long as they don't play at least half their games on that floor,  they could play their. 

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Meh. All Syracuse has to do is finish above .500 to stay "on the bubble." That's how the system works. The elite are given every break. If UB lost that game, or if they lose to Marquette, an at-large but could go out the window.

Yeah they will be on the bubble but nothing will be a lock & it will be nervous come selection Sunday.  There were year I thought SU was out & they made it(final 4 year when they played UNC a few years ago) & years when I thought they were in and they missed.   Sure they got more leeway than a school like UB, they play a much tougher schedule.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, eball said:

@Buffalo716 lighten up. You think we need a lesson in Syracuse basketball history vs. UB? You guys created a Syracuse thread and I’m here to crash it. UB is one of my two alma maters and I’ll gloat all I want!

And we would expect you to behave in this fashion, so carry on being a turd and the rest of us will continue to ignore you.  Congrats.

4 hours ago, Gordio said:

Yeah.  The better team certainly won.  Congrats to UB.  I also knew it was over when the outside shots started falling.  The way Cuse got out-rebounded, however, was appalling.

40 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

The way Cuse got out-rebounded, however, was appalling.

the more trash the long-distance shot is, the more likely it is grabbed by the shooting team

all you need is someone down low to get any piece of the ball to send it back out

the 3point takeover of the game has totally rewritten all rebounding thinking

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, row_33 said:

the more trash the long-distance shot is, the more likely it is grabbed by the shooting team

all you need is someone down low to get any piece of the ball to send it back out

the 3point takeover of the game has totally rewritten all rebounding thinking

That’s an excuse for poor rebounding by our guards.  They need to be better.  No excuses.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yeah.  The better team certainly won.  Congrats to UB.  I also knew it was over when the outside shots started falling.  The way Cuse got out-rebounded, however, was appalling.

This is basically the story for every Syracuse loss.  Teams get outside shots against the zone and long rebounds because it is hard to box out when playing zone.  It's maddening to watch.

40 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

FYI this guy is an AP voter who docks teams (like Syracuse) that never play road OOC games. He rates Buffalo as #5. 

Thos guy is a TOOL and a FOOL. 

Who does Kansas play Away OOC? I’ll tell you now... NOBODY

SU played Oregon and Connecticut On Neutral sites AND went to Ohio State and beat a ranked Buckeyes team

thay dude can pound salt. His wife probably cheated on him with an SU player 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Syracuse just has the worst looking offense I've seen, what is there identity?  Take turns going 1 on 1 which is the easiest thing in the world to defend. 

You could see they had more athletes than UB but UB knew what to do on offense and where to attack and move the ball around.  SU looks like 5 guys at the local YMCA..

42 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

SU played Oregon and Connecticut On Neutral sites AND went to Ohio State and beat a ranked Buckeyes team

Kansas and Syracuse are 99% guaranteed to get a heck of a test in their conference schedules every season, showing very well what they are made of on a national scale

As well a lot of elite big schools play a lot of Nov/Dec matchups against each other

A Buffalo or Gonzaga or San Diego State can coast along with minimal honest challenge, minimal losses and inflation of honest standing in the nation

that's the system they want to hype up

38 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well he doesn't think much of Kansas either. Any team that stays home for their OOC schedule he docks points.  Look at his ballot.

https://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/pollster/graham-couch/2018/week-7

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Kansas and Syracuse are 99% guaranteed to get a heck of a test in their conference schedules every season, showing very well what they are made of on a national scale

As well a lot of elite big schools play a lot of Nov/Dec matchups against each other

A Buffalo or Gonzaga or San Diego State can coast along with minimal honest challenge, minimal losses and inflation of honest standing in the nation

that's the system they want to hype up

Of course they still end up playing a tougher schedule than UB and all those mid majors

They play in the ACC and used to be in the big east

san Diego state wins 28 games a year because they are in a cake conference. SU winning 20-21 is easily as impressive and it’s still a crappy year for Boeheim 

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Well he doesn't think much of Kansas either. Any team that stays home for their OOC schedule he docks points.  Look at his ballot.

https://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/pollster/graham-couch/

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

2018/week-7

My worst is confirmed. He is a tool.

Kansas wasn’t even there. This guy is a hack and a half.

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

There is a reason this clown doesn’t have any part of the selection process.  Syracuse plays in the ACC.  They will still have a top 25 SOS regardless of who and where they play OOC.  

Nine wins in the ACC tends to get you in.  Not taking anything away from teams like Buffalo at all, but they HAVE to play a strong OOC slate because their conference opponents are trash.  That’s reality.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

There is a reason this clown doesn’t have any part of the selection process.  Syracuse plays in the ACC.  They will still have a top 25 SOS regardless of who and where they play OOC.  

Nine wins in the ACC tends to get you in.  Not taking anything away from teams like Buffalo at all, but they HAVE to play a strong OOC slate because their conference opponents are trash.  That’s reality.

But don't you think this turns into a bit of a circle jerk? ACC teams are good because ACC teams are good, right?  Especially in basketball. mid-majors can put together teams that could compete with power conferences. But the elite conferences stay away because they can't risk getting beat, and they certainly won't leave home fr a game like that. 

12 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

But don't you think this turns into a bit of a circle jerk? ACC teams are good because ACC teams are good, right?  Especially in basketball. mid-majors can put together teams that could compete with power conferences. But the elite conferences stay away because they can't risk getting beat, and they certainly won't leave home fr a game like that. 

Key word is mid majors can put together teams that can COMPETE ...

Outside of this 5 year stretch for UB, they cannot compete in the ACC in a full schedule... no MAC school could

If SU went into the MAC , outside of these few years with UB... they would run the table and go undefeated every year in the MAC

very few mid majors have had the long term success to compete in a major conference year in and out 

its a different animal