Sean McDermott: "Culture Trumps Strategy" ?​​​​​​​

Given the whole quote - it makes sense.

If you have players who don't participate wholeheartedly - strategy and talent don't matter.  :)

Teamwork makes the dream work - and that requires you to buy in and participate fully.  People who want to live on an island and only show up when they want to just does not work.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, MTBill said:

Given the whole quote - it makes sense.

If you have players who don't participate wholeheartedly - strategy and talent don't matter.  :)

Teamwork makes the dream work - and that requires you to buy in and participate fully.  People who want to live on an island and only show up when they want to just does not work.

Even in the greater context of the full quote, I find this troubling: 

"The culture, to me, trumps strategy. That's what I believe in wholeheartedly."

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Even in the greater context of the full quote, I find this troubling: 

"The culture, to me, trumps strategy. That's what I believe in wholeheartedly."

I believe the thing is - if you have a player who is not buying in to the culture - not giving his 100%, it does not matter what strategy you have - it won't work with this player.

I agree with that statement.  If the comment is that you cannot have strategy - then I completely disagree with his statement.  :)

I just believe given the full context - his meaning is that you have to have players who buy in to the philosophy and are actively participating in the strategy.

Does that make sense?

• Like (+1) 1

Does there have to be a relationship between culture and strategy?  Can't you have both culture and strong/sophisticated strategy?  I think the use of the word "trump" in this context is unfortunate and probably not what he meant.

Edited by jahnyc

Just now, MTBill said:

I believe the thing is - if you have a player who is not buying in to the culture - not giving his 100%, it does not matter what strategy you have - it won't work with this player.

I agree with that statement.  If the comment is that you cannot have strategy - then I completely disagree with his statement.  :)

I just believe given the full context - his meaning is that you have to have players who buy in to the philosophy and are actively participating in the strategy.

Does that make sense?

Not buying it. Talented players win games in combination with the right strategy in a good culture.

• Like (+1) 1

People are focusing on the wrong part of the quote.  This is the nugget:

it means we have guys who love football and do things the right way for the most part"

We have a saying at work. It applies to the long run...i.e. over many years, not week to week. 
That is that Culture eats Strategy for breakfast. In the long run this is true. Strategies change week to week and year to year. A strong (or deficient) culture will be a more defining trait of success or failure in the long run. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

First, people and especially the WGR crowd mistake bringing in "choir boys" and getting players with good "football culture",  I hear callers calling in and saying Brett Favre had bad character or if a guy has an dwi arrest he wouldn't be brought in because of the culture thing, both are completely false.

Culture sure as hell does matter a lot. 

Last year was a big culture shift and it just so happened to be the year we broke the longest playoff drought in sports.

Do you think the Patriots don't have a certain culture all the long timers have bought into?

Just because culture might trump strategy, that doesn't mean strategy doesn't matter a lot, too.