Owners with Conservative/Defensive Minded Coaches have some SOUL SEARCHING to do.

Eagles invested heavily in Trading up for Carson Wentz.  Spent that off season building and Offensive Coaching Room...Wentz now thriving.

Los Angeles Rams invested 1st Overall Pick in Jared Goff.  Shortly after fired their Defensive Minded Head Coach (Jeff Fisher).  Brought in young Offensive guy in Sean McVay...Goff now thriving.

Chicago Bears invested heavily in trading up for Mitch Trubisky.  Shortly after fired their Defensive Minded Head Coach (John Fox).  Brought in Offensive Guy in Matt Nagy...Trubisky now thriving.

Buffalo Bills and New York Jets invested heavily in trading up for Josh Allen and Sam Darnold.  And they will do what with their DEFENSIVE MINDED HEAD COACHES after their Young QBs struggle in 2018???

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar
Update
  • Like (+1) 17
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I know it’s common sense, but it is absolutely critical the Bills acquiring offensive difference makers on offense thru the draft and FA this offseason. They have no excuses.  It’s an offense based scoring league. While the defense isn’t top five it should be sufficient. Add a OLB and CB and everything else should be offensive based!

Screw it up and McDermott’s time as the HC will be short!

• Like (+1) 5

I could see them making a move for a young offensive minded coach... it might be a little early in his career, but I’ve said before DeFilippo is a guy that I would keep my eye on.  

I like McDermott as a person, I don’t see a Super Bowl winning coach in him, and that’s all that matters at the end of the day... His ceiling to me is maybe a Marvin Lewis, regular season success from time to time without the innovative/aggressive scheming and play calling to get the job done all the way.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, TFBillsfan said:

I know it’s common sense, but it is absolutely critical the Bills acquiring offensive difference makers on offense thru the draft and FA this offseason. They have no excuses.  It’s an offense based scoring league. While the defense isn’t top five it should be sufficient. Add a OLB and CB and everything else should be offensive based!

Screw it up and McDermott’s time as the HC will be short!

Would you say Allen is more important to the franchise then McDermott?

if there is a pyramid (not counting owners) how does it start at the top and then work it’s wY down?

1.) Allen

2.) McDermott

3.) Bean

4.) White

5.) Edmunds

and if you agree with Allen being hire up than McDermott than anything to help Allen is greater than any loyalty to McDermott?

8 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Eagles invested heavily in Trading up for Carson Wentz.  Spent that off season building and Offensive Coaching Room...Wentz now thriving.

Los Angeles Rams invested 1st Overall Pick in Jared Goff.  Shortly after fired their Defensive Minded Head Coach (Jeff Fisher).  Brought in young Offensive guy in Sean McVay...Goff now thriving.

Chicago Bears invested heavily in trading up for Mitch Trubisky.  Shortly after fired their Defensive Minded Head Coach (John Fox).  Brought in Offensive Guy in Matt Nagy...Trubisky now thriving.

Buffalo Bills and New York Jets invested heavily in trading up for Josh Allen and Sam Darnold.  And they will do what with their DEFENSIVE MINDED HEAD COACHES after their Young QBs struggle in 2018???

Lol, no.

Good post. It appears that good defensive coordinators will become similar to the current running back, replaceable. 

-The NFL is about offense and defense and special teams are becoming less important as a result of rule changes. Expect this trend to continue as more rules that make game “safer” will help offense more than defense.

And if that is the case, it would be wiser for an organization to hitch their wagon to an offensive “genius” rather than the defensive guru. Even if it is for the purpose of continuity. Players that fit the system will be developed and groomed over time and the system will remain in tact because the offensive leader will not leave the organization after any amount of success. That offensive coach will have plenty of defensive minds to choose from and the defensive side of the ball will not be as important anyway. 

On the other hand, if an organization tied themselves to a defensive coach, then there could be less continuity and talent on that side of the coaching staff. For example, if Dabol actually became a good coordinator he would be poached by another team. McDermott would either fill the position from the outside and risk losing continuity on the most important side of the ball or promote from within and risk not getting the most talented candidate for the most important side of the ball. 

It does not mean a defensive coach cannot work out, it just seems like they will have more challenges keeping top level coaching talent on the most important side of the ball.

Edited by racketmaster
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think McDermott and Beane have a longer leash than previous regimes because of what they did last year. I believe the Pegs give them at least a 3rd year, if not even a 4th to do what they want to do first, unless 2019 is a complete disaster. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think the bigger thing those franchises did is they spent a ton of money on offense in the QB's sophomore seasons. Presumably that is our plan for next year too. But it all depends on Allen developing.

True the Bears did bring in Allen Robinson.  How much they use him is debatable.  (I know being hai frustrated fantasy owner)

but Los Angeles...totally.  Woods, Cooks.  They loaded up

Who do we like off this list?  

Well be able to afford 4-5 of these guys, depending on what we do with Shady, assuming we move on from Benjamin and Clay.  

Everyone wants to look at Mahomes in his second year.  Well.. these are guys, along with a potential elite OL or WR in the draft, that Allen could be playing with next year. 

*Some are no longer available but it gives you an idea. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2783459-an-early-look-at-the-2019-nfl-free-agent-class.amp.html

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think the bigger thing those franchises did is they spent a ton of money on offense in the QB's sophomore seasons. Presumably that is our plan for next year too. But it all depends on Allen developing.

LA could have given Jeff Fisher all of those toys on offense and they still would have been mediocre and Goff would be labeled a bust. That’s how important Sean McVay has been.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

You don't necessarily need an offensive minded head coach. You just need a good/great offensive mind in the room (OC). 2016 Falcons is a great example. Since Shanahan left, they've been short a cylinder on offense. The main issue there, though, is that your window shrinks because that guy will be a head coach very soon.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

A good HC is a good HC is a good HC is a good HC.

Offense, defense, special teams...it just don't matter.

• Like (+1) 3