Old memories

4merper4mer

The whole Supreme Court thing got me thinking about old memories.  I posted on PPP but will also post here because although politics reminded me, this isn't really a political topic at all.

Do any of you have memories of long ago?  It could be something happy, sad, or even irrelevant, but something that has really stuck with you.

My example is one of guilt.  One day I was minding my own business having some coffee at a little cafe on Main Street when an ambulance went screaming by.  I was annoyed by the noise and was glad when it had past.  I went back to my coffee and my day without further thought.  Later I found out that in the ambulance was my Uncle Eugene.  He died on October the 2nd 1981.  It was 37 years ago today and I'll never forget it.  I still feel awful.  I think of Geno every time I have coffee.  I miss you dude.

20 years ago (give or take) a bar owner gave me a Jim Beam key ring. Left it on the bar while I went to the men's room. When I returned the guy sitting next to me said I was lucky it was still there as he loved Jim Beam. Still bothers me that I didn't give it to him, I never used it. 

earliest memory I can put an actual date on is being 3 1/2 years old at Centennial Park in West Seneca during the Bicentennial 4th of July celebration in 1976.  it's just a blur of red white and blue colors in my head but I believe we watched the parade go down Union Rd and I think they were throwing candy from the floats

I was 2 or maybe had just turned 3, and I escaped from my daycare at the YMCA on Lake Ave in Rochester.  I walked 8-10 blocks all the way home after crossing Lake Ave by myself.  I remember almost the whole thing including the reason I split.  They were giving us swimming lessons and I didn’t like that the girl who was helping me forced me to put my head under water by pushing it under and I choked on the water.  Funk that B***ch!

The only thing I can’t remember is how/when my parents found me at home, but that memory is probably repressed because of the ass whoopin I received. ?

• Sad 1

2yrs old staying at grandmas in Leroy, she had some health issue, i remember them taking her out on a stretcher, then going to stay with my aunt.    She was ok, and lived to her mid 80s.   One of the first things I remember in life. 

I also remember a baby sitter who used to let me look at her naked when i was 4 or 5.   good times. 

48 minutes ago, Steve O said:

20 years ago (give or take) a bar owner gave me a Jim Beam key ring. Left it on the bar while I went to the men's room. When I returned the guy sitting next to me said I was lucky it was still there as he loved Jim Beam. Still bothers me that I didn't give it to him, I never used it. 

Sounds like a pick up line to me.

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

The whole Supreme Court thing got me thinking about old memories.  I posted on PPP but will also post here because although politics reminded me, this isn't really a political topic at all.

Do any of you have memories of long ago?  It could be something happy, sad, or even irrelevant, but something that has really stuck with you.

My example is one of guilt.  One day I was minding my own business having some coffee at a little cafe on Main Street when an ambulance went screaming by.  I was annoyed by the noise and was glad when it had past.  I went back to my coffee and my day without further thought.  Later I found out that in the ambulance was my Uncle Eugene.  He died on October the 2nd 1981.  It was 37 years ago today and I'll never forget it.  I still feel awful.  I think of Geno every time I have coffee.  I miss you dude.

At what age did you start drinking coffee?

as a frosh the seniors on teams wouldn't give me a seat on the team bus readily

so when i was a senior i did the same to a frosh, and he started crying, and I'm not a mean person and i hope i didn't ruin his life or anything

I remember ... oh, about 40 years ago ... driving an ambulance.  We had the sirens going and were driving through the main drag of town.  Had to hurry, because this poor guy in the back was not doing well.

As I'm driving, I look over at this young dude, sipping coffee, looks at me and mouths, "Slow down, you prick!"

What a smug little punk.  I slowed down.  Docs told me had I gotten there just a minute sooner, they could have saved the guy.  But we were too late.

• Haha (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I remember ... oh, about 40 years ago ... driving an ambulance.  We had the sirens going and were driving through the main drag of town.  Had to hurry, because this poor guy in the back was not doing well.

As I'm driving, I look over at this young dude, sipping coffee, looks at me and mouths, "Slow down, you prick!"

What a smug little punk.  I slowed down.  Docs told me had I gotten there just a minute sooner, they could have saved the guy.  But we were too late.

That's horrible...please tell me you're kidding.

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I was 2 or maybe had just turned 3, and I escaped from my daycare at the YMCA on Lake Ave in Rochester.  I walked 8-10 blocks all the way home after crossing Lake Ave by myself.  I remember almost the whole thing including the reason I split.  They were giving us swimming lessons and I didn’t like that the girl who was helping me forced me to put my head under water by pushing it under and I choked on the water.  Funk that B***ch!

The only thing I can’t remember is how/when my parents found me at home, but that memory is probably repressed because of the ass whoopin I received. ?

The story is only missing one thing:

Did You ever go back and pickup Your swim trunks that You left behind?

LoL...

22 minutes ago, Gugny said:

the other day at the store my car was second in line to exit the parking lot, a car entering the other way came very close to the car in front of me, they rolled down the window and the driver in front of me said:

"i was a teacher back in the 1950s and young people were taught respect and public decency...."

the response from the other car was more guttural than you could have imagined...

3 hours ago, coloradobillsfan said:

earliest memory I can put an actual date on is being 3 1/2 years old at Centennial Park in West Seneca during the Bicentennial 4th of July celebration in 1976.  it's just a blur of red white and blue colors in my head but I believe we watched the parade go down Union Rd and I think they were throwing candy from the floats

Hell yeah! I grew up in that park and remember going there for MANY fireworks celebrations.

Two quick ones:

1. I took one of those old molded Fisher Price kid golf clubs and decided to destroy my parent's tomato plants next to the garage. 3 years old?

2. I distinctly remember going into the fridge (probably 2.5-3ish again) and grabbing the Frank's Red Hot sauce and drinking it. One of those old "triangular" shaped bottles with the very small spout. My mom came running over to make sure I was ok. I have since ONLY kept Frank's in my house (keep your Tabasco nonsense to yourself. Chohula isn't welcome here either.). I also won a $20 bet a few years back by drinking a full pint glass of wing sauce (you know, Frank's and margarine). No one could believe it.

Edited by Seasons1992

I still sit back and reminisce about my childhood years and just how everything was in the 90s.  It was a great time in life, a simpler time for sure.  Way before smartphones and social media took over the world, a time when all of my grandparents were still alive and all of my family got along.  Had a great group of childhood friends, we spent entire summers playing street hockey and backyard football, riding bikes down hills, building forts(and yes playing video games too lol).  I really think it was the last generation that got to enjoy an amazing childhood.  Sometimes I miss it so much it hurts.  Blows my mind when I think about how much the world has changed since then.    

6 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

2yrs old staying at grandmas in Leroy, she had some health issue, i remember them taking her out on a stretcher, then going to stay with my aunt.    She was ok, and lived to her mid 80s.   One of the first things I remember in life. 

I also remember a baby sitter who used to let me look at her naked when i was 4 or 5.   good times. 

Wait a minute!

What? 

Give us a lot more detail please!  

I'm absolutely enthralled and waiting for more info.

Elementary school, probably <= 4th grade, not sure. I was a walker. And that meant I walked home without parents. Came up to the crossing guard as she had just gotten a group of kids across the street (I remember thinking she had the face of a bird). I should've waited, but kind of like blowing through a late yellow traffic light decided I could make it across if I ran.

I remember hitting the deck when I saw the car and the tire stopping inches short of my leg.