Old memories

4merper4mer

Oddly, this came up just today. My sister that I just stayed with for the Packers game was in the basement of our childhood home (one of many) with a friend. She’s about 3 years older, and I got chased out to go watch TV with my parents. I was about 3+ and vividly remember the spectacle of the JFK funeral. It moved about as quickly as I imagine @DC Tom running for his life against the Packers. 

11 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

The whole Supreme Court thing got me thinking about old memories.  I posted on PPP but will also post here because although politics reminded me, this isn't really a political topic at all.

Do any of you have memories of long ago?  It could be something happy, sad, or even irrelevant, but something that has really stuck with you.

My example is one of guilt.  One day I was minding my own business having some coffee at a little cafe on Main Street when an ambulance went screaming by.  I was annoyed by the noise and was glad when it had past.  I went back to my coffee and my day without further thought.  Later I found out that in the ambulance was my Uncle Eugene.  He died on October the 2nd 1981.  It was 37 years ago today and I'll never forget it.  I still feel awful.  I think of Geno every time I have coffee.  I miss you dude.

Hopefully Geno and uncle Skinner are up there betting on the ponies together. 

Mark Spitz swimming 1972 Olympics.  I would have been 4.

But before that.  @ 3 years old in BFLo Children's Hospital.  I was eventually diagnosed with JRA... But before that.  They thought I had meningitis.  I remember the cart with the needles for the spinal tap.  Room with a high window on door.  I was brought in w/108° fever... I recall the stainless steel bath that they iced Me down with. I was also in traction, something with my joints/muscles... I was really a mess in 1971... But made it to 1972 to recall Spitz swimming.

I remember on the first day of Kindergarten. My mom dropped me off. After a few minutes, not sure how many but definitely less than five, I decided I had enough and left. Got all the way outside to where the busses drop off students but couldn’t find my mother. One of the other teachers got me though and took me back to the classroom. 

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Wait a minute!

What? 

Give us a lot more detail please!  

I'm absolutely enthralled and waiting for more info.

Not much i can give in details, i was 5 years old.   she'd watch tv and i'd watch her.   kept us both occupied.   

1 hour ago, Soda Popinski said:

Not much i can give in details, i was 5 years old.   she'd watch tv and i'd watch her.   kept us both occupied.   

Captive audience, she probably had the easiest job in the neighborhood.

9 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Mark Spitz swimming 1972 Olympics.  I would have been 4.

But before that.  @ 3 years old in BFLo Children's Hospital.  I was eventually diagnosed with JRA... But before that.  They thought I had meningitis.  I remember the cart with the needles for the spinal tap.  Room with a high window on door.  I was brought in w/108° fever... I recall the stainless steel bath that they iced Me down with. I was also in traction, something with my joints/muscles... I was really a mess in 1971... But made it to 1972 to recall Spitz swimming.

Fall of 72 was first sports memories,

the Soviets beating Canada 7-3 in the first game of the Summit Series for which every Canadian thought it would be 15-0 all 8 games for Canada without breaking a sweat

watched the last few minutes of the USSR/US hoops final, never saw my father so angry as that, and we're Canadians

and Bobby Fischer's genius making it okay to tote around a chess board for awhile in my homewtown

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I remember on the first day of Kindergarten. My mom dropped me off. After a few minutes, not sure how many but definitely less than five, I decided I had enough and left. Got all the way outside to where the busses drop off students but couldn’t find my mother. One of the other teachers got me though and took me back to the classroom.  

Something very similar happened with me.  First grade.  My mom dropped me off late (I think I had an appointment, or something).  When I got to my class, there was no one there.  So I started to walk home.  I was well off of the school campus and walking down a busy road (on the sidewalk; I was safe).  Someone driving a school vehicle (not a bus) pulled over and asked where I was going.  I told them I was walking home.  They told me to get in and proceeded to take me back to school.

I was about 5, maybe early 6. I noticed that when my parents had family &/or friends over everyone got friendly & appeared happier when they drank these cans of stuff called beer that looked like cans of pop/soda. 

One day, I wanted to feel happy so I snuck one of those cans from the fridge and hid outside around the porch. I snapped open the can and took a big gulp and then immediately spit it out. I could not understand the concept of drinking that crap and it whetted my appetite for a while.