Should Micah Hyde be returning punts?

YoloinOhio

Micah Hyde, PR  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Should Micah Hyde be returning punts?

• Yes, if he is clearly the best PR on the team
    • No, we can’t afford the extra injury risk

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

AB used to do it in Pittsburgh ... can’t remember if he still does 

I think he returned kicks. I think it is not too smart to have one of the best WR in the league doing that. Not sure why they do.

8 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I'd let him return punts in certain situations. Maybe not full time. In addition to injury risk I would be concearned with,him getting winded easier late in games if hes taking on extra duties.

How many returns a game do players normally get? It's mostly fair catches or touchbacks.

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

because he has a number of punt and kick returns for TDs

So do lots of other guys. I just think it would be silly to lose a major contributor on offense or defense because you had him returning kicks and punts.

I know a lot of coaches choose not to take that risk. Obviously the Steelers choose to take that risk with Antonio Brown.

29 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think field position is monumental with our offense. So I’m on the fence. I know Hyde had a lot of success returning punts in GB and we are fairly deep at safety but the drop off from him to Bush isn’t good.

If Antonio Brown and Odell Beckham can return punts for their teams, then we can afford to have Hyde do it.  I don’t think it’s particularly dangerous.

11 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

Returner is not really much of an impact position any more.

Injury risk just doesn't make sense unless it's a critical punt/situation. Under normal circumstances, no, he should not even be on the field.

I think that is more true on kickoff returns 

2 hours ago, klos63 said:

career average of about 10 yards per return with 3 TD's.

Id argue that return pales in comparison to AB and Desean Jackson returning. They're worth the risk because they have a high return of making a play. Just saying sounds like Hyde is alright at it, but I'd only have a special kind of playmaker starter returning is all if we were to have an important starting player returning punts at all.