McD took over defensive play calling in 2nd half

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, eanyills said:

So Frazier is essentially a lame duck for the rest of the season? 

This team is a train wreck right now but at least Allen looks much better than I expected.

He didn't look that good. Missed easy reads, took a bunch of sacks, made 2 bad throws for INTs...ball placement was really bad for the most part.

But...much better than Peterson which is not saying much of anything. 

He's got a lot of work to do. 

Edited by matter2003

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

Not necessarily, if McD feels like he comes up with good game plans and prepare the team well he will be a part  of this team. There is more to D-Coordinators than the play calling. That being said I would rather McD keep calling the plays, defense looked much better in the second half. 

Isn't that the same kind of defense Carolina and McD ran? Seems like Frasier was hired to implement McD's system. 

They are both zones but Tampax relies on 2 deep safties and players just making plays, kinda like Wandstooge did.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

They are both zones but Tampax relies on 2 deep safties and players just making plays, kinda like Wandstooge did.

Genuine question how does McD's defense differ? Weren't we running a Tampa 2 system last year? Is McD's more aggressive? If McD's calling the plays then aren't those plays from our existing defensive playbook?

When I saw Hughes dropping in coverage on a 3-12 in the first half I knew something was wrong. A competent Cord doesn’t have your only legit pass rusher dropping in coverage on obvious passing situations. 

Disappointed in Leslie. McDermott gave a job to someone who helped him on his way up. Leslie need to retire if the game has passed him by. 

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

Genuine question how does McD's defense differ? Weren't we running a Tampa 2 system last year? Is McD's more aggressive? If McD's calling the plays then aren't those plays from our existing defensive playbook?

Yes but for example McD was putting Alexander at DT on passing downs instead of keeping him at LB, basically a NASCAR package. The coverage was tighter too so the zones must have been tightened up. It just really comes down to using your personnel properly.

17 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Not necessarily, if McD feels like he comes up with good game plans and prepare the team well he will be a part  of this team. There is more to D-Coordinators than the play calling. That being said I would rather McD keep calling the plays, defense looked much better in the second half. 

Isn't that the same kind of defense Carolina and McD ran? Seems like Frasier was hired to implement McD's system. 

So Frazier and McDermott are both Jim Johnson guys. Frazier as he moved on in his career with influence from Dungy morphed into more of a Tampa 2 guy and that was what he ran in his other stops as a DC. Last year they managed to morph a bit of Tampa 2 into McDermott's cover 3 scheme and had decent success with it at times. But the first game and a half they have been far too passive even on early downs. Was much more like last season in the 2nd half today. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Yes but for example McD was putting Alexander at DT on passing downs instead of keeping him at LB, basically a NASCAR package. The coverage was tighter too so the zones must have been tightened up. It just really comes down to using your personnel properly.

It seemed more aggressive and the coverage seemed tighter. I liked it as it looked a lot better. Hopefully McD will be more influential in the defense going forward. I think Tampa 2 only works when you have insane defensive talent which makes almost any system work. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

So in the first two weeks McD's had to bench his hand picked QB and his DC. Hate to say it but he's looking more and more like a DC as appose to a HC. Can't blame all these bad hirings / decisions on the fact we're rebuilding.  

Edited by VW82

35 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Frazier is a good football mind but he still relies on the overly conservative approach from his days as a Tampa 2 guru.  It makes sense in some ways as the Bills are most talented at the safety position. Unfortunately he became too predictable and you REALLY need a strong front 4 pass rush for the Tampa 2 to be effective. While the Bills do not run a Tampa 2 they retain a lot of it's characteristics and conservative nature.

MacD's Cover 3 approach drops CBs back into zone but not as deep allowing better run support and more Pass rush support from LBs and Safeties.  This team needed a spark in terms of getting to the QB and the play calling changes seem to have worked.

Time will tell if this was success based on surprising the Chargers with unanticipated looks or whether it can become more permanent.

I do like the idea of Lorenzo as a pass rushing DE --- sure he is undersized for that position -- but he makes up for that with balls to the wall effort.

• Like (+1) 1

This coach is not a good enough game day coach, to just let coordinators be.  He is terrible at clock management, makes ridiculous personnel decisions and challenges plays that are not smart. McDermott only has value to us, if he can get this defense fixed. Fire Fraiser tomorrow and be the DC/HC. Otherwise I really don’t even want this guy here.