The Tweet That's The Best Argument For Josh Allen Starting Here On Out

BuffaloRush

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I think it's about 50-50.

If I HAD to bet I would say Nate starts because McD is stubborn. I don't even think NP should be in the league. 

But if he does start Nate next week, at home, and in the first two series he looks bad, which is a very possible if not likely scenario, the boos from the crowd will be deafening. The veterans and good players on the team would have to question whether their coach knows what he is doing, which is a huge factor. If Allen starts and he does the exact same thing as I think Nate might, and looks awful for two series, no one will care, no one would question the coach. 

I would bet Allen because of those good points you made below.

The fans will turn on everyone including McD if they start Peterman and he stinks up the joint again.

The veterans would really start to wonder what is going on as well as you mentioned 

13 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I fully expect Peterman to start again next Sunday.

They don't want to ruin Allen around these trash players and they know that as soon as they start him, there's no turning back.

Not saying I agree with it.

Good chance McDermott loses the fan base if he does that.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

They don't want to ruin Allen around these trash players and they know that as soon as they start him, there's no turning back.

With this kind of thought process and knowing the types of players at WR and OL, do you think Beane and McDermott privately thought this was going to be a "tank year?"  Not that they are deliberately trying to lose (like another Buffalo franchise), but realistically thinking about 2018 as a year to free up cap space and fill needs in the 2019 offseason?  They seemed very steadfast in not wanting to trade 2019 draft picks.  I think they knew they'd be drafting high

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's pure silliness. They aren't going to know enough about Allen by the 2019 draft with this current supporting cast.  

Sure there's no way to evaluate a QB after 15 starts....

1 minute ago, Luka said:

Two second round picks is not "a lot of draft capital." We gave up more to draft Watkins.

And frankly, they draft poorly so what would they have really gotten with those two picks? Two more Zays? They'll do whatever they feel they need to do to build a successful franchise. Frankly, it's more of a mark on them to NOT start Josh Allen. This is their guy. They picked him. They made the trade. Peterman isn't even a serviceable backup at this point. He simply can not play quarterback at this level. To play him over their number 1 guy is a joke.

The more Allen plays the better he will get. He did it at Wyoming and he has the physical gifts to do it at this level too. He probably took less reps this week than he has all camp in preseason. Start him. It's not just the game experience but the experience of preparing as the starter week in and week out that he's missing out on while they screw around with Peterman.

I'm not aruging against Allen playing. There is no way 100% that they draft a QB top 5. Are you high? Think about what that would say about their ability to evaluate college talent if they did that. They gave up a starting left tackle and multiple picks to draft a QB in the top 10. You don't pick another QB the next year in the top 5 especially when you have no online and no good WRs period. How can you even really begin to evaluate this kid.

I hated the Allen pick but they are tied to this kid for a few years for better or worse.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Agreed. Peterman should not even be in the league let alone a starting QB. It is ego - McD wants to prove that he is right for having faith in NP. I know some may disagree because McD is professional etc. But this happens all the time in pro sports. We saw it with Marrone, Whaley, Ryan, and on and on. Sometimes your ego can get the best of you. 

I'm not giving up on McD yet and hope I never do. No coach is going to be right much more than 50-60% of his decisions, including Bellichick whom I consider the best ever. 

But McD puts SO much weight on character and practice and attitude and off field life and film study and weight room, etc, that it may cloud or override his NFL game day player evaluation. He loves Nate for a lot of good reasons. But he seems blind to actual ability and performance. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

there's no way they take a QB #1 next year. That would be admitting that they totally failed and gave up a lot of draft capital and resources to pick a bust without even giving him a couple of years. They need the #1 pick but that's so they can trade down and stock pile picks because they have holes everywhere on this team.

Yup.

Start Allen so he can learn and take his lumps and be ready to be good when they fix the rest of the team.  Take that top 3 pick and trade down with whoever is dying for a QB next season.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

At this point, I think the odds are heavily against it, if Allen is bust there's a good chance Beane and McDermott as gone.  You really never get a 2nd chance at drafting a franchise QB unless you are David Caldwell in Jacksonville.  If there's a can't miss QB prospect this year (like say a Drew Locke) and Allen's play is less than stellar, they can do what's in the best interest of their team and take him.  I wouldn't put that scenario past this team

News flash the Bills picked a raw QB with elite talent that is going to need to time to develop. You cannot tell in one year if he is a bust. There was no indictation that they even wanted him to play this year, at least not for a while. This year is all about tanking. No one is getting fired. They know they are going to suck. At least I hope they do.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, billspro said:

Good chance McDermott loses the fan base if he does that.

Maybe his team. I think that McD might set an all time NFL record tomorrow for apologizing to his team twice for the exact same decision. 

For a guy who constantly says how important it is for a player to learn from his mistakes and never make the same one twice, perhaps it's time to look inward. ;)

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

I'm not aruging against Allen playing. There is no way 100% that they draft a QB top 5. Are you high? Think about what that would say about their ability to evaluate college talent if they did that. They gave up a starting left tackle and multiple picks to draft a QB in the top 10. You don't pick another QB the next year in the top 5 especially when you have no online and no good WRs period. How can you even really begin to evaluate this kid.

I hated the Allen pick but they are tied to this kid for a few years for better or worse.

Anything could happen. They started Nathan Peterman for Christ's sake. You really think that if a can't miss QB prospect is there at #1 overall and the one you drafted is terrible that you just pass on him because you already picked a guy? Sorry but I think you should be questioning your own sobriety.

Allen has to start. As a front office you have to know. It could make sense to take another one. You don't get the number 1 overall every year. I am in no means advocating for this scenario but to say it's 100% impossible is daft.

This team better look way different next year with all the cap space and what I'm going to assume is a very high or the highest pick in the draft. My hope is that Allen and starts and shows enough that there is confidence in him and we build around him.

23 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Note: The Bills have been outscored 77-7 with sweet Pete on the field. It's over. They can not even compete with him and we don't need to be down 37-0 at half next week to figure that out. The Chargers owned him and if you think that next week he is going to reverse it, you're kidding yourself.

• Like (+1) 1