Zone Defense = #1 Problem? Or Zero Pass Rush?

Watching today's game, I couldn't help but notice the majority of times that Flacco was able to hit his receivers and our defensive backs/corners/linebackers were playing with such a large cushion that he was able to complete the pass. What good is it if you stop the run after the catch after they've completed a first down. I saw this all day. Conversely, there was a good game film analysis of our receivers all covered man-to-man and Allen had no where to throw the ball.

Is our defense more a factor of the "bend, don't break" philosophy? Cuz we was broke pretty bad today....   Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 1

Without a pass rush it’s ugly. 

From what I seen the middle of the field is wide open every play. Making the raven tight ends look like all pros. Flacco basically threw 5-7 yard curl patterns to tight ends non stop and of course we missed tackles on some of those. No corner/safety tandem in the league is gonna cover more than 4-5 seconds consistently with no pressure on the quarterback. It was just ugly in all phases today. No discipline whatsoever and nobody making plays really. Lot of work to do this year 

• Like (+1) 1

The pass rush is absolutely disgusting. I haven't been this discouraged with that aspect of the team since the days of Chris Kelsay and Ryan Denney. The number 1 defensive priority circa 2018 is to wreak havoc on the QB. Trent and Star may as well not exist. The guys we HAVE acquired in FA are far more concerning than anything we HAVEN'T done. I want killers at DE.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Without a pass rush it’s ugly. 

From what I seen the middle of the field is wide open every play. Making the raven tight ends look like all pros. Flacco basically threw 5-7 yard curl patterns to tight ends non stop and of course we missed tackles on some of those. No corner/safety tandem in the league is gonna cover more than 4-5 seconds consistently with no pressure on the quarterback. It was just ugly in all phases today. No discipline whatsoever and nobody making plays really. Lot of work to do this year 

But but but, Star was paid 10 mil per to occupy blockers and collapse the pocket so our DEs  and LBs can feast. 10 mil per for that guy! Geez..... Maybe weather was a factor but it didn't seem to bother Bal too much.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

Watching today's game, I couldn't help but notice the majority of times that Flacco was able to hit his receivers and our defensive backs/corners/linebackers were playing with such a large cushion that he was able to complete the pass. What good is it if you stop the run after the catch after they've completed a first down. I saw this all day. Conversely, there was a good game film analysis of our receivers all covered man-to-man and Allen had no where to throw the ball.

Is our defense more a factor of the "bend, don't break" philosophy? Cuz we was broke pretty bad today....   Thoughts?

I would say our #1 problem, and by quite a bit right now, is that we don't have a QB.

Me might get one down the line with Allen, but for now, we don't have one.

1 minute ago, Fadingpain said:

I would say our #1 problem, and by quite a bit right now, is that we don't have a QB.

Me might get one down the line with Allen, but for now, we don't have one.

Politely disagree. From what I've seen of Allen, he's got a future. Kid can play. He needs protection and a supporting running game.

But, I'm talking defense right now.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

McDermott being an idiot is a big problem. I’ve long had an issue with his CB depth on down and distance. 

They didn’t like his scheme in Philly years ago. They were glad when he left and in North Carolina Rivera ran the team. That’s soft zone is horrible any quarterback looks all world.  Last year we were lucky we got a lot of turnovers  

need to have a significant pass rush to run a zone scheme effectively. On that note... We missed a TON of tackles today. that just compounds the problem. Finally when players in your secondary lead the team in tackles, that is a HUGE problem that just makes everything else worse