Die Hard 6 has a title: "McClane"

dpberr

Your thoughts?  https://deadline.com/2018/09/die-hard-6-title-mcclane-bruce-willis-origin-story-prequel-lorenzo-di-bonaventura-1202456391/

As a fan of the Die Hard series (I think the 1995 DHWAV was the best of the five) -  I have no idea how this concept works.  The entire premise of Die Hard was that John McClane was an ordinary NYPD detective caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.  He had no superhero-esque backstory.  

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Your thoughts?  https://deadline.com/2018/09/die-hard-6-title-mcclane-bruce-willis-origin-story-prequel-lorenzo-di-bonaventura-1202456391/

As a fan of the Die Hard series (I think the 1995 DHWAV was the best of the five) -  I have no idea how this concept works.  The entire premise of Die Hard was that John McClane was an ordinary NYPD detective caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.  He had no superhero-esque backstory.  

The first one just like in most movie series is the best.  You can't think too hard about the improbabilities of the second and third movies or you will just want to turn it off.  What made the first three work was casting a great actor(s) as the villain(s).  While I appreciate Buffalo's (Orchard Park) William Sadler I give the nod to Alan Rickman as the best villain portrayal in the series.  

2 hours ago, dpberr said:

He stopped being an ordinary human in the 4th one when he ramped a car into a helicopter off a toll booth.

Edited by Warcodered

2 hours ago, dpberr said:

Maybe the prequel part of the story is McClang walking a beat, filching apples from the fruit stand and eating donuts?

Die Hard with a Vengence would have been the best with little qualification *if* they kept the original, darker ending.  (I won't spoil it - the original ending is on YouTube.)  I thought the 3rd movie beats the 1st because it captures the grit and speed of the story on a Manhattan canvas, Jeremy Irons was a worthy adversary to McClane in perhaps his only action movie role ever and until that morning, McClane was a divorced drunk on suspension.  No superhero.  

The 4th (ok) and 5th (abomination) installments were missing interesting villians and the surprise plot points the previous films had.  The 5th should have never been made.  

IMO, the RED and Last Boy Scout movies provide a general template for a Die Hard 6.  Get a new lead that has an investigation that they dig McClane out to help on, but he or she dies abruptly early on in the movie, paving the way for a retired McClane to assemble a team of characters from all the past movies (Sgt. Powell, Zeus, Matt Farrell, etc.)

3 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Die Hard with a Vengence would have been the best with little qualification *if* they kept the original, darker ending.  (I won't spoil it - the original ending is on YouTube.)  I thought the 3rd movie beats the 1st because it captures the grit and speed of the story on a Manhattan canvas, Jeremy Irons was a worthy adversary to McClane in perhaps his only action movie role ever and until that morning, McClane was a divorced drunk on suspension.  No superhero.  

The 4th (ok) and 5th (abomination) installments were missing interesting villians and the surprise plot points the previous films had.  The 5th should have never been made.  

IMO, the RED and Last Boy Scout movies provide a general template for a Die Hard 6.  Get a new lead that has an investigation that they dig McClane out to help on, but he or she dies abruptly early on in the movie, paving the way for a retired McClane to assemble a team of characters from all the past movies (Sgt. Powell, Zeus, Matt Farrell, etc.)

Pretty sad they couldn't write a good villain for 4 with Timothy Olyphant playing him it could of been great.

19 minutes ago, dpberr said:

And at one point that movie was written as a Lethal Weapon sequel.  I could definitely see Riggs in the whole sandwich board opening to that movie.

17 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I am sorry but there was too much to overlook in the third to think it could have been redeemed with a darker ending.  Federal gold depository getting knocked over like it was a hamburger stand and nobody can make heads or tails of a dump truck fleet running several hours to Canada until McClane checks in with the authorities?  Irons and the actress that played the girlfriend made it watchable.  In a 1960's Batman adventure it was more interesting to watch the Penguin make a tank out of the gold he was stealing even though making a tank from scratch was absurd at the least.  Oh well, at least the Die Hard franchise took one lesson from the 1960's Batman which is if the premise is not good then at least stock the film with a good villain and a good actor to portray him.  

On 9/4/2018 at 10:12 AM, Fadingpain said:

It is so frustrating that we live in a world where fresh, interesting, creative films struggle to get financial backing, but "Die Hard 6" actually exists.

Recycling franchises is hit-and-miss for me. It all depends on what their goals are, who they get to write and direct, the actors, etc.

Like bringing back Batman with Nolan was a great idea.

Personally, I think they've done a great job with the new movies in the Alien and Predator franchises.

Bladerunner 2049 was awesome.

The new Rocky movies are good.

Die Hard...Terminator...Star Wars....King Kong....not so much.

Just to name a few.

My personal preference for the best to worst Die Hards:

1. Die Hard

2. Die Hard 2

3. Live Free or Die Hard

4. Die Hard With a Vengence

5. A Good Day to Die Hard

ETA:  None of them were terrible.  But A Good Day was close.

Edited by bdutton