Guide to Buffalo and Bills Games for Visitors

plenzmd1

58 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

I went to the Denver game last year and will likely go to a game this year.

Dos and don’ts should be part of any good guide.

Why do you avoid games?

Ah yes “dos and don’ts”. Do you really think out-of-town fans need to be reminded to not physically accost opposing fans? Or that they should not fall off the upper deck of the stadium? Those were your helpful examples. I know not everyone received a UA education, but I think even those unfortunates can figure those things out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Some out of town fans may get caught up in the excitement and adopt a “when in Rome” mentality.

I was thinking more about the hazard of having someone fall on them, although it’s good advice not to ride the rail on the upper deck too.

Also, even though you may feel like you are in a Third World country, proper bathroom etiquette should be followed. Toilets are for urinating and sinks are for washing your hands.

Should you leap on a burning table and catch fire, don’t forget stop, drop and roll. And leaping head first from the top of a RV is strongly discouraged.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.golfdigest.com/story/these-two-buffalo-bills-fans-might-actually-be-dead/amp

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5256609/Alabama-teenager-18-accused-molesting-horse.html

This is more of a general best practice, not so much football related other than the kid is a rabid bama fan. How many times do we have to remind you, cousins and horses are off limits unless there is consent!

• Sad 1

Wife and I are flying in from Houston for Tennessee game in early October.  Haven't been to a game since 2009 and not from Buffalo.   Any suggestions on the following would be greatly appreciated!

• Will be taking uber to stadium from downtown.  We want to walk around experience the scene.  Best suggestion on how to obtain beer?  Is there a place to buy outside stadium or should i just have the uber driver stop on the way?  :)
  • Were staying at the curtiss hotel downtown.  Any suggestions for nice restaurants near the hotel Friday or Saturday night?  What about after the game on Sunday?  Last time we went to anchor bar after the game and had a great time, but wanted to get others suggestions.

Appreciate it and thanks for starting this thread - very helpful for out of towners!

6 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Why do you avoid games?

People my age want to shot gun beers and do all this crazy drinking at 8 am. Fyi, and I'm not proud of it, we are all pushing 30 so I'm a bit tired of that scene. I enjoy the actual atmosphere at the stadium during the game, but at this point, I'd rather enjoy my Saturday night and sleep in. 

If you're being genuine I get it. It just didn't come across that way to me. My bad if I'm wrong, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

Great sticky post idea - every other game gets a thread started by someone asking the same question again ... and again.

I'm no expert, but a section on traffic would be useful, like busiest and least busiest routes in, time stuck in traffic in and out - depending on the time arrival/departure and route. 

Edited by Roch-A-Bill

19 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Sadly,Peter K's closed,the family retired.

It's a shame. I loved their Polish platter.

10 hours ago, Bills Oil Company said:

Wife and I are flying in from Houston for Tennessee game in early October.  Haven't been to a game since 2009 and not from Buffalo.   Any suggestions on the following would be greatly appreciated!

• Will be taking uber to stadium from downtown.  We want to walk around experience the scene.  Best suggestion on how to obtain beer?  Is there a place to buy outside stadium or should i just have the uber driver stop on the way?  :)
  • Were staying at the curtiss hotel downtown.  Any suggestions for nice restaurants near the hotel Friday or Saturday night?  What about after the game on Sunday?  Last time we went to anchor bar after the game and had a great time, but wanted to get others suggestions.

Appreciate it and thanks for starting this thread - very helpful for out of towners!

High end: SEAR Steakhouse at the Embassy Suites. I believe it's owned by ex-Bills.

More downscale: Dinosaur BBQ on Franklin near Tupper. 

In-between: Frankie Primo's, 51 Chippewa. Nice Italian.

Another place is Osteria 166 at 166 Franklin. It was a favorite of ex-Bills GM Doug Whaley and ex-Sabres GM Tim Murray.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

12 hours ago, Bills Oil Company said:

1) Have your Uber driver stop for some beverages.  Cans over bottles.  Or go up to a tailgate and yell "Bills suck my balls!!"  Then wring out your Bills hoodie from all the beer tossed at you into a red solo cup.  Free beer.  

2) Curtiss is a beautifully renovated building.  Nice rooftop bar that could be open when you visit.  If you have something specific you want in dining out, let the board know.  Easier to steer you in a direction that way.    

Edited by stony
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Why do you avoid games?

Except that your "don'ts" are all one-off or rare events, unlikely to be of help to a normal Joe seeking relevant information helpful to attend the game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's a shame. I loved their Polish platter.

High end: SEAR Steakhouse at the Embassy Suites. I believe it's owned by ex-Bills.

More downscale: Dinosaur BBQ on Franklin near Tupper. 

In-between: Frankie Primo's, 51 Chippewa. Nice Italian.

Another place is Osteria 166 at 166 Franklin. It was a favorite of ex-Bills GM Doug Whaley and ex-Sabres GM Tim Murray.

All excellent suggestions. I

am not a steakhouse guy, think they are all overpriced and can do at home for 1/4 of the cost..leave them for work dinners.

Osteria is fantastic!

15 hours ago, Bills Oil Company said:

There’s a Morton’s (steaks) near in the Hyatt on Huron Street or, if you prefer a locally owned steakhouse over a national chain, there’s the Buffalo Chophouse on Franklin Street (owned by Mike Croce, same guy that owns your hotel).  Both are pricey, but I’m guessing that, if you’re staying at The Curtiss, you’re probably looking for someplace nice.

On 9/3/2018 at 5:19 PM, Sanners said:

Any food guide that doesn't list Bar Bill for Beef on Weck, as well as their wings, is completely inadequate. Update that sucker! 

Imho bar bill wings are way overrated. Beef on weck is fantastic though. Pizza too