Peterman will never live down the 5-pick half . . .

Dr. K

21 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I agree completely.

I would lose my mind as a coach, as a player who that was done to, and as a teammate.

That is correct, and thus a fairly persuasive argument that in fact, that is not what happened.

I believe Eric Wood publically said he made an error and snapped the ball on the wrong count on the play where Bosa came unblocked, absolving the OT.

Believe him or don't.

13 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Would McDermott stand for that kind of rebellion and then allow anyone who was involved to still be on the team in 2018?  It's pure fantasy. 

Agreed.

11 hours ago, Needle said:

A situation like that can sometimes fuel a person's drive to work harder or focus more.

This is very true. 

33 minutes ago, B Fan in LA said:

Let's put the 5 pick game into perspective...........

Tyrod was being criticized for being too cautious with the ball.

McD and Dennison decided to give Peterman the start in LA, probably because they wanted him to throw the ball more.

The expectation was that Peterman would be able to complete more passes because he had a faster read and release than Tyrod.

That was the coaches decision, just throw the damn ball !!

So the decision to start Peterman over Tyrod didn't go over very well with some on the BB O Line.

We all saw the tape of a miked up Joey Bosa running to the sideline yelling, "they're not even trying to block me"

The results were a combination of a determined coaching staff, and a 5th round draft pick getting his first shot at a start in the NFL,

after he had been told to just throw the damn ball.

The reason there are no other 5 interception games in one half in the NFL is because there aren't any other  OC's in the league

who would have kept calling for passing plays after watching a very rattled 5th round rookie QB in his first game struggle.

Dennison and McD must have been telling Peterman after each inception to put it all behind him and keep throwing the damn ball.

They could have just handed the ball of to Shady and let the game go...............but they didn't.

They left Peterman out there to pee all over himself.

This was the other point I was trying to make in the OP--that he was being urged to take risks and the coaches should have realized this was not the right situation. I will say that I never saw the Bills offense look worse than it did in the previous game, at home, against the Saints, when Tyrod was the definition of ineffectual--unless it was in the later playoff game against the Jags. 

Edited by Dr. K

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Peterman 5-pick, EJ in London, Edwards getting concussed, JP rollout, Billie Joe Neckbert playbook....  We got lots of F'd up QB stories here.

lining up under the guard and not the center

the butt fumble 

the trip over your own feet

running into the goalposts

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That is correct, and thus a fairly persuasive argument that in fact, that is not what happened.

I believe Eric Wood publically said he made an error and snapped the ball on the wrong count on the play where Bosa came unblocked, absolving the OT.

Believe him or don't.

Agreed.

This is very true. 

I have watched every snap Peterman played that game and it looked like half the line wasn't even trying.

You can believe what you want.

You can make your own conclusions from watching it.

If a couple of players chose to not block in purpose, and it was kept private, so McD couldn't prove it, then the theory that he wouldn't keep them on the team falls flat.

I am not a conspiracy theorist, but what I saw with my own eyes leads me to believe either:

A) some of them purposefully allowed Peterman to get crushed

Or

B) those linemen are just that bad (which makes sense after watching this preseason, they look like they are that bad)

Either way they shouldn't be playing anymore because it was a massacre.

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Believe him or don't.

I would be very interested in seeing some sort of evidence to support this claim, that Eric Wood publicly said he made an error.

This is the first I've heard this...........not saying you're wrong............just don't remember ever seeing it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, B Fan in LA said:

Let's put the 5 pick game into perspective...........

Tyrod was being criticized for being too cautious with the ball.

McD and Dennison decided to give Peterman the start in LA, probably because they wanted him to throw the ball more.

The expectation was that Peterman would be able to complete more passes because he had a faster read and release than Tyrod.

That was the coaches decision, just throw the damn ball !!

So the decision to start Peterman over Tyrod didn't go over very well with some on the BB O Line.

We all saw the tape of a miked up Joey Bosa running to the sideline yelling, "they're not even trying to block me"

The results were a combination of a determined coaching staff, and a 5th round draft pick getting his first shot at a start in the NFL,

after he had been told to just throw the damn ball.

The reason there are no other 5 interception games in one half in the NFL is because there aren't any other  OC's in the league

who would have kept calling for passing plays after watching a very rattled 5th round rookie QB in his first game struggle.

Dennison and McD must have been telling Peterman after each inception to put it all behind him and keep throwing the damn ball.

They could have just handed the ball of to Shady and let the game go...............but they didn't.

They left Peterman out there to pee all over himself.

first-place-trophy-3d-model-obj-fbx-blen

• Haha (+1) 1

If he somehow became a hall of famer it likely would become nothing more than a footnote ala favre throwing a pick 6 his first throw. But maybe it follows him like "wrong way" marshall. Either way his future has little to do with game just like peyron manning 6 pick game in playoffs did not srop him from winning later.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Dr. K said:

. . . . no matter how long he plays in the league or what he does or does not accomplish. If he dies seventy years from now, the first line of his obituary will be , "Nathan Peterman, who threw five interceptions in his first half of football, died today at the age of ninety-three." He might as well make "Fivepicks" his middle name and get it tattooed on his forehead.

This is just an observation, not a value judgment. That one half of football will hang around his neck unless and until he does something spectacular like win a Super Bowl, and even then it will be the first thing any story about him, even one praising him, will start with. Granted, it can't be denied that he did the deed; he was trying to be the anti-Tyrod and he erred in the other direction, disastrously.

There have been QBs in the league who have less to offer but had decent careers--that's my opinion, not some universal truth. But it's kind of a drag to contemplate having a single afternoon characterize you for the rest of your career. 

Allen is suffering something similar, where the conventional wisdom of his abilities or non-abilities--completion percentage, for instance--is the story line that he will have to fight against for a long time. But in his case I don't think it's quite as large an albatross. 

And this is why i say that Sean McDermott's one HUGE mistake in his tenure was leaving Peterman in there for 5 INT's.  Even if not all his fault, I was shouting at the TV to yank Peterman out of the game after the 3rd INT.   You just knew it was snowballing against Nate that day.  McD didn't have his finger on the pulse of that one.  And I agree, the 5-INT game will stick around Peterman.  

13 hours ago, Augie said:

So....it was a mediocre thing? 

It was a generational disaster, but it wasn’t all on the QB. DL came in unblocked. 

True, so the generational disaster should also be associated (forever) with Mills-the-human- turnstile?

The only way he sort of "loses" that is if someone throws 6 in a half.

Which may never happen - I can't imagine any other coaching staff leaving a guy in after even 3 picks...   I think it was a unique situation where they maybe excused the first 4 somehow and still thought they weren't harming him by leaving him in.

Consequently - if he does shake that bad habit, it shows that the incident didn't "damage" him.  However if he continues to be a turnover machine, he'll never outlive that.  I'm hopeful for his (and the Bill's) sake that he won't continue throwing to the wrong team.

I mean, he shouldn’t.  It was one of the worst Starts in nfl history.  But I blame McDermott more than Peterman, who clearly wasn’t ready. Awful, awful decision.

that said, no reason NP can’t have a solid career still.  I think he has career backup all over him, which is solid. 

Should Peterman develop into a starting NFL QB nobody will really care about that Charger game.

The thing is, I highly doubt he will develop behind that current putrid Buffalo Bills offensive and we may see more five-interception games by all the Bills QB's.

Go rewatch that Cleveland game to see AJ McCarron didn't have more than two seconds to make a throw and defenders were in the backfield as he was handing off. The same thing with Allen against the Bengals only he was able to hand off for some decent runs. Opposing teams will stack the box to stop the run and force them to attempt to pass then run/pass blitz all game long...jailbreak after jailbreak. 

By week four the Buffalo Bills might be out of starting QBs as they will all be on IR...

10 minutes ago, BuffaLoko said:

True, so the generational disaster should also be associated (forever) with Mills-the-human- turnstile?

Now the Bills have three guys just like RT Mills in RG Miller, OC Groy, and LG Ducasse. Might as well save some money and cut everyone but Dawkins and just put in mechanical turnstiles as they might actually slow someone down a bit. 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Bills Wilk said:

Big part of the 5 int. half was the O-line not blocking for him because of their loyalty to Tyrod

But you can’t just close your eyes and throw it up for grabs.  

He looks like below way too often to me to believe he will win nfl games, but let’s see what difference a year makes.. 

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's ridiculous and all anyone need do is look back at the TNF game against the NYJ with the OL getting absolutely dominated. 

Good point bringing up that game.  That being said there is ample evidence that this years OL could be worse.

All this QB talk won't amount to a hill of beans if that is true. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The only way to erase it is to play some games and get some wins.  

Even then some here will never let it go.   

Well when your first pass in 2nd preseason game against 3rd string Cleveland Brown players is a dropped pick 6 by a guy who won’t make the roster it tends to remind people about your liabilities.  Add in that it’s the exact same pass he ended our playoff game with when he threw the pick, and again memories get refreshed.  

Being the only QB to throw a pick this preseason, reminds people.  When your first pass of Camp is an out route that is a dropped pick 6 then again peoples memories are refreshed.  

Sorry compiling a high completion percentage against weak opposition in preseason doesn’t erase the minds of those who cringe every time he throws outside the hash marks from the pocket, especially with showing more evidence of those concerns throughout camp and preseason.

He still has NOT proved he isn’t an INT waiting to happen on an NFL field.  Until then, it will follow him.  If he starts week 1 and puts some good games together without a bunch of turnovers, people will start letting it go.  Until then, he’s just a good kid that was a 5th round pick for a reason...because can’t throw outside or deep very well. 

Edited by Alphadawg7

38 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean, he shouldn’t.  It was one of the worst Starts in nfl history.  But I blame McDermott more than Peterman, who clearly wasn’t ready. Awful, awful decision.

that said, no reason NP can’t have a solid career still.  I think he has career backup all over him, which is solid. 

I think that the Peterman start was a part of a big reason as to why OC Rick Dennison was fired as he probably told McD that the guy was ready to make a start. 

As bad as it looked... it was actually a good thing because it lit a fire under Tyrod's butt and he stopped being so tentative like he was against the Saints which got him benched in the first place.   

Anyone else recalls that in more than three quarters against that New Orleans team Tyrod went 9 of 18 for 56 yards, one INT with a rate of 33.6. Then Peterman came in late in the fourth quarter and went 7 of 10 for 79 yards and one TD with a rate of 126.7.

Just now, Nihilarian said:

I think that the Peterman start was a part of a big reason as to why OC Rick Dennison was fired as he probably told McD that the guy was ready to make a start. 

As bad as it looked... it was actually a good thing because it lit a fire under Tyrod's butt and he stopped being so tentative like he was against the Saints which got him benched in the first place.   

Anyone else recalls that in more than three quarters against that New Orleans team Tyrod went 9 of 18 for 56 yards, one INT with a rate of 33.6. Then Peterman came in late in the fourth quarter and went 7 of 10 for 79 yards and one TD with a rate of 126.7.

Please!  Tyrod was still the same guy upon his return and do you actually believe the Saints were going all out against NP when they were up 47-3?  Those numbers should be thrown in the trash can. 

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Good point bringing up that game.  That being said there is ample evidence that this years OL could be worse.

All this QB talk won't amount to a hill of beans if that is true. 

Was that the game Gino Smith got the W?  

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well when your first pass in 2nd preseason game against 3rd string Cleveland Brown players is a dropped pick 6 by a guy who won’t make the roster it tends to remind people about your liabilities.  Add in that it’s the exact same pass he ended our playoff game with when he threw the pick, and again memories get refreshed.  

Being the only QB to throw a pick this preseason, reminds people.  When your first pass of Camp is an out route that is a dropped pick 6 then again peoples memories are refreshed.  

Sorry compiling a high completion percentage against weak opposition in preseason doesn’t erase the minds of those who cringe every time he throws outside the hash marks from the pocket, especially with showing more evidence of those concerns throughout camp and preseason.

He still has NOT proved he isn’t an INT waiting to happen on an NFL field.  Until then, it will follow him.  If he starts week 1 and puts some good games together without a bunch of turnovers, people will start letting it go.  Until then, he’s just a good kid that was a 5th round pick for a reason...because can’t throw outside or deep very well. 

Flag on the play            a DPI was called was it not?  

After that he went 9 for 9.   

But feel free to disregard what happened and speak poorly of the kid (endlessly it seems).

Lets go Josh!!!! 

2 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

I posted some portions of articles earlier 

The Bills were tied atop the AFCE  with NE* when the offense went to sleep for 3 of 4 straight weeks. 

McD was trying to get a spark back into he O to keep momentum with NE.   Isn't that the goal?