Ian Rapoport: "Josh Allen is not quite ready" to start

HappyDays

11 hours ago, Rob's House said:

Funny how now that Allen is officially a bust everyone wants to jump on the Nate Peterdick bandwagon. Jump all you want you **** talking bastards; the internet never forgets.

I don't see that many people who think Josh Allen is a bust.  I certainly don't.  Josh Allen is exhibiting an extremely common condition among rookie QBs.  The game has not slowed down fully for him yet.  He's trying to play behind a crap offensive line, and he's not processing quite quickly enough to get rid of the ball befor pressure gets to him.   Peterman, for all his limitations does seem to process very quickly, and the ball is usually gone on passing plays in 2 seconds or less.  I don't know that the line is going to struggle against every opponent like they did versus Cincinnati's starters.  They may be somewhat better when Dion Dawkins is in the lineup.  Marshall Newhouse  was a turnstile in the game.  The fact that McDermott was experimenting with personnel changes on the offensive line didn't help matters.  In any case, I think the Bills might be doing Josh Allen a favor if they sit him for the first 3-6 games while the offensive line at least has a chance to develop a little chemistry, and the game slows down a bit for the wunderkid. 

22 hours ago, njbuff said:

No, yesterday showed that no QB would look good if they had only 1.5 seconds to throw.

i agree that Allen doesn’t need to be force fed here, but Allen handled himself pretty well facing that onslaught yesterday.

Even if Peterman starts the season, Allen’s going to be seeing action rather quickly because Peterman is going to get killed behind this OL.......... and then Allen will get killed......... then McCarron will get killed when he becomes healthy enough to get injured again. 

Who’s gonna be the fourth QB to get hurt?

I wouldn't want to put Allen behind this O-line, throw Peterman or AJ out there until the season is lost then toss Allen out there the last 6-7 games to get him some experience. 

7 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

Allen is not good right now.  He looks completely lost out there.  He does nothing presnap and is a one read trick pony.  Tons of panic in his game.

I have way more confidence in McCarron or Peterman than I do Allen.

Peterman gets the ball out quick and throws with anticipation.

Much like we seen teams to do us when we had a great pass rush, the ball gets out quick and eliminates our good pass rush.

We need to stop acting like the sacks were all on the o line. 

What about when McCarron led a disaster of a first team offense against Cleveland? He was getting sacked and pressured as well, with short throws that had no chances of a first down? 

Allen was up and down against Carolina ~50% completion, but on the whole it was positive. Then he “looked good” against Cleveland. So much so that Sal is saying it’s his job to lose. Then he struggles and gets battered against the Bengals and we knee jerk right back to Peterman or McCarron. 

AT BEST, those guys are seat warmers for one year. Allen is not going to sit for 2-3 years watching Nate Peterman. Not on a rookie deal, not after #7, Glenn, #12, #53 and #56. 

So it’s great that you want delay the inevitable because now we are knee jerking backing to our safe spot to start the predictable boring “veteran”, but Allen is the team’s future. 

If this team is 3-6, McDermott is going to be asked non-stop what about Allen. And if they’re 10-6, Allen is still going to be the Franchise and replace McCarron or Peterman. 

2 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

I doubt that Aaron Rodgers would be ready to start behind the turnstyles that is our offensive line.

I completely disagree. 

Great is great and you’re talking about a first ballot HOF talent. I think we look completely different with Rodgers at the helm. 

6 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I'm not convinced AJ won't be starting vs Ravens despite being ostracized on TBD. While TBDers give up on a guy due to injury, most coaches do not. Coach McDermott does not.  He realizes injuries are part of the game and happen to everyone.  "When AJ comes back, we'll pick up where we left off."

How exactly do you know this?

A 7.2 career ypa in real games would seem to indicAte otherwise.

AJ wasn’t able to get any time with the Bengals and he hasn’t been able to put his stamp on this job. 

Every report from camp was he is safe and throws short. 

I’d never let a talking head in the media decide the development and hence fate of my franchise. The coaches know (we all know) and can see that Peterman lacks outside the numbers velocity to be a serviceable and long term QB. How many throws do we need to see outside the numbers that demonstrate this? That aside, Allen is extremely raw, probably rather than Big Ben in 2004. He’s got a ways to go, but like any good franchise & coach you have to take this rookie season as a learning process. Smarter heads will prevail & Allen will be named the day 1 starter.

3 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

AJ wasn’t able to get any time with the Bengals and he hasn’t been able to put his stamp on this job. 

Every report from camp was he is safe and throws short. 

yet he connected on a long pass that went for 62 yards.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the longest pass play of the pre season by a Bills QB.

I had hoped AJ would have performed better and gotten the nod.  But I didn't see anything to convince myself he would get the nod week 1.  

I had hoped JA would have performed better with the 1's on Sunday.  But I didn't see anything to really convinced myself he would get the nod week 1.  

Now what do we have but the Specter of Nate looming large. 

I say do NOT start Allen.  He is not ready and neither is the entire offense.  

Pederman is the sacrificial lamb.    Lets see see what the OL can do after a few games with a full game plan in place.  Let’s see what NP does first.  

Let him start...if he gets mauled so be it....if the talent is there he will take his lumps and grow...if he is too fragile then he isn’t the guy....you cant fake NFL real game experience...I’d rather take the lumps all this season...correct offense deficiencies next off season and see where season 2 takes JA. If at that point he still hasn’t shown to be the guy then pick another qb in the draft...rinse and repeat until he is found.

1 hour ago, zevo said:

Let him start...if he gets mauled so be it....if the talent is there he will take his lumps and grow...if he is too fragile then he isn’t the guy....you cant fake NFL real game experience...I’d rather take the lumps all this season...correct offense deficiencies next off season and see where season 2 takes JA. If at that point he still hasn’t shown to be the guy then pick another qb in the draft...rinse and repeat until he is found.

For the long term, this is probably the best option. As some have pointed out, sitting on the bench rarely helps and most successful NFL franchise QBs showed they would be successful very early in their careers. Allen was picked by a team who went to the playoffs last year. If Tyrod could steer this team to a 9 win season, it shouldn't be that tough for him to produce similar results considering how low the bar was. 

If Allen has "it", he'll compensate for the supporting cast. If he doesn't, he'll completely crash and burn. 

Might as well find out what we have immediately. If he's the right guy, he'll find a way to figure out how to be successful. 

Edited by jrober38

15 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

week 1 is going to be nauseating to watch if pistol pete starts. the ravens are going to destroy him. 

I think the Ravens put the beat down on us regardless of who starts.  And I'll be there...and hope I'm wrong.

4 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

I say do NOT start Allen.  He is not ready and neither is the entire offense.  

Pederman is the sacrificial lamb.    Lets see see what the OL can do after a few games with a full game plan in place.  Let’s see what NP does first.  

I agree.  Ravens home opener.  It will be very loud and a hostile environment.  Not the place for a rookie to get his first start behind a leaky O-line.  There will also be communication problems all over the place.  The rookie has NOT outplayed Peterman in the preseason, but the rook does have a lot more god given physical talent going forward.   I'd Give Nate the start in Bmore.  If he surprises everyone and does well, then great, that's a bonus.  If he flops on his face then so be it.  It won't be a shocker i suppose.  If that plays out, it would be easy and justified for McD to come back with Allen on Sept. 16th at New Era Field.  His first start, at home, in the friendly confines.  THAT is setting him up for success.

2 hours ago, zevo said:

I also would prefer you take 60+ sacks if the OL is as bad as they are showing they can be.

19 hours ago, Like A Mofo said:

I still say the odds of Josh Allen busting are better then where we want him to be: Find out sooner then later so we can move on faster if we have to

Allen will be given at least through his 3rd season before they make a decision. Right before they have to commit to a 5th year option or not. 4-8 games this year wont have much bearing on the outcome. They need to straighten out the mess of an O line at first , and teams such as BAL , LAC, and MIN aren’t one’s to be sacrficing Allen to in the meantime.