Why is nobody discussing the offensive line?

BigDingus

45 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

We made the playoffs last year.  What is missing from 2017 that makes 2018 a rebuilding year?  Please be specific and please don't say Preston Brown.

our two best offensive linemen for starters, and considering he is saying that the oline sucks and that's why we shouldn't start allen, well, he does have a point, at least enough to be concerned.

I would prefer to see him not start either, solely based on the Oline play, but, if he starts, I won't be upset.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

We have needed a RT for 3 years and Miller sucked last year and they did nothing about those spots. I'm a big believer in Beane but he missed on the online as well as WR. I know we had a lot of holes on defense but if I'm drafting my franchise QB I'm getting him all the help he needs first so he can succeed and not get killed in the process and fix the D next year.

I think this o-line, once they get the personnel straight, will be vastly better than they showed last night.  

• Like (+1) 1

I’m not sure what good any of this will do.  Hopefully with AJ out of the mix, we aren’t forced to see Bodine starting.   Groy at C gives us 3 solid linemen along with Dawkins and Miller.  Mills is ok at RT, upgradeable for sure, but playable.  

We can go out and trade/sign for a LG but it seems we’d need a Quenton Nelson to unseat Vlad’s deathgrip on a starting spot. 

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

The level of denial about the quality -- or more correctly, lack of quality -- of the Bills OL in this thread is amazing.  What excuse comes next, boys and girls?  Since we've already had the BS about playing "vanilla" schemes in preseason, when is the second favorite excuse for OLs -- "the OL needs time to gel" -- make its appearance?  Preseason game 3 I expect.

All the coaching and game planning in the world isn't going to turn a collection of busts, never-weres, and never-will-bes into a starting caliber NFL OL.

So what’s the plan to fix the line before the season starts? Please be specific 

24 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

They already had Glenn’s replacement in Dawkins.  Free agency begins in mid-March.  The RI situation came to a head on April 14th.    The heir apparent for Wood was supposed to be Groy, and I think he will fill in just fine in time.  Overall, I think the FO did the best they could to deal with the loss of RI.

and should we again discuss our extensive evaluation of Mills and Ducasse ? before the surprises they should have been upgrading these two. Like last year !

Like others i suspect they are going to get the Offense better sorted with additions to bolster them across the board.  NEXT YEAR !!  edited

Maybe Castillo is not here next year as well ?

But Bills have done some good work on the line. I like the draft picks. Groy i like at center. But Bodine should be playing the spot. Beane pick up btw . Groy can play guard . Bodine hasn't since high school or something. Odd pick up if he doesn't start.

Edited by 3rdand12

3 hours ago, BigDingus said:

AJ didn't just hurt himself... Allen hasn't been playing against 1st team defenses going up against our porous line. 

People always look at parts of the picture instead of the whole thing. Sure, Allen isn't playing with the 1's... but let's not pretend our 1's are world-beaters or something. We're not throwing him in with a loaded team like we had when Orton took over for EJ, or the Cowboys inserting Dak behind a powerhouse line with great playmakers at skill positions... 

We have a pretty good, injury-prone WR, a great but older RB, and a notably worse O-line than last year, when last year was already a significant step back from the prior season. Let Allen look good in PRESEASON against backups and guys trying to make the roster. Give him time to build confidence and learn. The last thing he needs is to get thrashed around, then running for his life feeling he needs to win it on his own and end up getting lost for the season. 

So he will be better off watching ('learning") someone else get thrashed running around?

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The thing that drives me nuts about Decause is he constantly lets defenders get under his pads.....

YOUR NOT SUPPOSED TO DO THAT

And because of this he gets pushed all over the place. He consistently gets beaten at the point of attack. 

OP - You do realize we can do things schematically to help our OL, correct?

Lets assume our OL is as bad as they looked last night.  Worst case scenario..

We can use TE’s heavily and keep them in to block.  We can run screens and utilize RBs to keep the pass rush honest.  We can move the pocket since Allen is mobile.  Etc etc etc. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, MPT said:

Huh? Pouncey, Villanueva, and DeCastro all went to the Pro Bowl this past year and they ranked #1 in sacks per game in 2016. Their depth is also great. Granted, the past few years have been better than in the past, but they've usually been about average in sacks allowed during Roethlisberger's time. 

And this board laughed when I wanted DeCastro in the first round.  

Relax. They will be an average OL this year with Groy at C.  Keep investing in OL.  Miller is going to be very good this year. Dawkins will be fine.  Mills is what he is.  Groy will be fine.  Teller is the LG of the future.

Next year draft a C in round 2 or 3.  Look at a new RT in FA.  Or vice-versa.  They will have a ton of cap money.  Go get a top tier FA C or RT.  

33 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Agreed.  Who we trading for OP?  Don’t make us do your homework for your thread.  Put some thought into viable trade candidates.

Well our line is real bad and rookie QB could get hurt.........so....

Lets trade our Rookie QB to a team with a really good line and maybe a really good QB that way he is on the pine so he can't get hurt ;) 

Then with our improved line we can get a veteran scrub QB like we always do to throw 20 TD`s and 20 picks and finish 7-9 ;) 

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

OP - You do realize we can do things schematically to help our OL, correct?

Lets assume our OL is as bad as they looked last night.  Worst case scenario..

We can use TE’s heavily and keep them in to block.  We can run screens and utilize RBs to keep the pass rush honest.  We can move the pocket since Allen is mobile.  Etc etc etc. 

a missed block is a missed block.

But you are quite correct, and Bills might well be pinning their hopes and Daboll and Castillo making magic happen

26 minutes ago, Finkle Is Einhorn said:

Why would we burn draft picks trading for top level talent when we will be going into 2019 with the most cap space in the NFL.  Let Allen gain some valuable experience this year and load up next season through the draft and free agency.

Agreed. Burn draft picks for Mack but not OL.  Use FA money on C or RT.  

10 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I’m not sure what good any of this will do.  Hopefully with AJ out of the mix, we aren’t forced to see Bodine starting.   Groy at C gives us 3 solid linemen along with Dawkins and Miller.  Mills is ok at RT, upgradeable for sure, but playable.  

We can go out and trade/sign for a LG but it seems we’d need a Quenton Nelson to unseat Vlad’s deathgrip on a starting spot. 

Someone needs to steal the memory stick from him with all the compromising photos of Castillo ;) 

This looks like the group we have for this season unless a team that drafted offensive linemen happens to release a vet due to financial reasons in cuts......we have to make sure we have the best of the OL we CURRENTLY have are on the field......

Dawkins is fine.....one pre season game with no help against a monster like Garrett does not change that

Decauuse......I would love to see Teller get a chance to supplant him

Groy should already be the starter

Miller is under rated....and the scheme fits him

Mills is a player we are gonna have to live with this season