Josh Allen ain’t bad

14 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

????????????

You can't be serious?!?!

He looked like that in college... bad foot work, over thrown balls...late decision making. But out of nowhere... he'll make a few throws that will "Wow" you...

Allen is a project, he was a project during college, coming out of college... & nothing has change. He has a little talent... but was he worth a 1st like the 5 experts thought? Heck no!

Other experts like Bucky Brooks, DJ, Charles Davis, heck our own best reporters, Sal, Joe B, Fairburn, ect... all said he should be a 2nd rd pick, but given the position it's not going to happen.

That's what people got confused on. Just cause he was projected to go in the 1st doesnt mean he was suppose to go in the 1st. Projects like Allen shouldn't sniff the 1st... but it's a QB league..& this stuff happens.

This is why something's I love what McBeane has done & some things I don't. 

Like, what made then not want Deshaun Watson??? What made him not worth the 11th pick 2 years ago? Yet, the Pegula's went gushing over Allen??? How you not gush over Watson??? 

But hey drafting Allen was bold... & like I've said... "Its a bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off"

EJ & JP looked better then Allen in their preseason games... that's facts...not being negative 

You left out a big detail: EJ started his first preseason game and played with the 1s. He had a starting online and wr corp. Allen’s throwing to four guys who arent making this team and is being protected by practice squad maybes. 

Edited by quinnearlysghost88

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I didn't think allen looked good at all besides the td throw. He looked by far the worst out of the qbs. The rookies in general looked bad today

Hard to judge a qb with the 3s. 

1 minute ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

You left out a big detail: EJ started his first preseason game and played with the 1s. He had a starting online and wr corp. Allen’s throwing to four guys who arent making this team and is being protected by practice squad maybes. 

Exactly on the $!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Good view of his TD pass:

Serious question. Was this a perfectly timed pass threaded through the defenders to a place where only his guy could catch it, or an underthrown ball that the WR made a great play on?

looked to me like the WR was suppose to continue to the corner and the pass should hit him in stride.  But he Had to comeback for it.

great TD regardless.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

????????????

You can't be serious?!?!

He looked like that in college... bad foot work, over thrown balls...late decision making. But out of nowhere... he'll make a few throws that will "Wow" you...

Allen is a project, he was a project during college, coming out of college... & nothing has change. He has a little talent... but was he worth a 1st like the 5 experts thought? Heck no!

Other experts like Bucky Brooks, DJ, Charles Davis, heck our own best reporters, Sal, Joe B, Fairburn, ect... all said he should be a 2nd rd pick, but given the position it's not going to happen.

That's what people got confused on. Just cause he was projected to go in the 1st doesnt mean he was suppose to go in the 1st. Projects like Allen shouldn't sniff the 1st... but it's a QB league..& this stuff happens.

This is why something's I love what McBeane has done & some things I don't. 

Like, what made then not want Deshaun Watson??? What made him not worth the 11th pick 2 years ago? Yet, the Pegula's went gushing over Allen??? How you not gush over Watson??? 

But hey drafting Allen was bold... & like I've said... "Its a bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off"

EJ & JP looked better then Allen in their preseason games... that's facts...not being negative 

What in the world is wrong with you?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 minute ago, thunderingsquid said:

That run for extra yardage was pretty.

The escapability, strength under the rush to not be taken down, foot speed, awareness, etc, in his first game was extremely encouraging. Little stuff like that is a huge sign for me. I think he showed more than the other two guys, who had better games/stats, because he flashed those football skills all of which are important. 

• Like (+1) 5

Something that impressed me was after the disaster drive (I think it was his first) that had all the penalty's. Did he go sit on the bench and pout that his teammates were screwing up? Nope, he huddled them up on the sideline and rallied them like a true leader. This kid gets it, plain and simple.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The escapability, strength under the rush to not be taken down, foot speed, awareness, etc, in his first game was extremely encouraging. Little stuff like that is a huge sign for me. I think he showed more than the other two guys, who had better games/stats, because he flashed those football skills all of which are important. 

And since I'm anti Tyrod crowd, I gotta give it up to him for his escape ability. He was great at scrambling but as I mentioned in a previous comment, he never saw a wide open guy downfield when he was scrambling. Oh well he's gone now and we don't need to dwell on that and of course we wish him the best. 

6 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

He's not ready to start and we evidently have 2 guys who appear to be at about the same level ahead of him. I don't want to rush him. I'd prefer Allen stay at QB3 all season and we can let Peterman/McCarron be 1 and 2.

Agreed.  Let’s put Allen on the taxi squad...?

Just now, Herc11 said:

Something that impressed me was after the disaster drive (I think it was his first) that had all the penalty's. Did he go sit on the bench and pout that his teammates were screwing up? Nope, he huddled them up on the sideline and rallied them like a true leader. This kid gets it, plain and simple.

I was vocal about not wanting to draft Allen. But the more you know about him and watch him and listen to him, the more you can believe in him. I've been convinced. Not that he is going to be a star but he has as good a chance as any of them. So much of a QB's success is preparation, attitude, coachability, desire, decency, humility, confidence (those two in a row seem contradictory but they're not), and leadership, that has nothing to do with ability.

Allen has a LOT of stuff going for him. He has the size, the skills, the desire, and the fortitude to succeed. That's a huge advantage. There are still only 4-5 guys on the planet that excell at this job consistently. So all that he has doesn't guarantee anything. But he's ahead of the game. He has ALL the tools. Not a lot of guys have even that. 

6 minutes ago, beerme1 said:

And since I'm anti Tyrod crowd, I gotta give it up to him for his escape ability. He was great at scrambling but as I mentioned in a previous comment, he never saw a wide open guy downfield when he was scrambling. Oh well he's gone now and we don't need to dwell on that and of course we wish him the best. 

Yes he did. ;)

Allen is our guy now though. I was very happy with him and he wasn't my choice at all in the draft. 

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, metzelaars_lives said:

What in the world is wrong with you?

I'm keeping an open mind with Allen. I haven't forgot his scouting reports, I haven't forgotten most of his games I've watch of his during the college season. Sorry...Allen has to prove it before I fall head over heels for him. 

1 hour ago, Shotgunner said:

2. He need's to mature and command the huddle

Jesus Christ, how much stupid sports talk radio do you listen to? To make an observation like that, it's laughable. What a dumb cliche. 

38 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

But according to the other poster I quoted, he needs to command that huddle.

Anybody that said he was horrible or great is a victim of confirmation bias.  I was vehemently against the pick, but I was encouraged from what I saw tonight.  He looked calm in the pocket which is rare for a Bills rookie QB.  Seemed like the complete opposite of when I first saw EJ and Losman play.  His arm strength was better than I anticipated to the point some of those throws were just wow....now I see how some draft pundits and teams fell in love with them.  His pocket awareness was pretty good and his scrambling ability was impressive (even though he was going against their scrubs).  He showed some touch when it was warranted and even side armed a throw to throw around a defender to complete a screen.  He's not afraid to take chances which worked to his advantaged once on a terrific role out throw where he allowed Lee to make a play.  Also, great recognition of a free play as the defense jumped offsides and he threw a long ball up for grabs that was nearly completed.  The couple of drops made his stat line (9 of 19 make it look than it actually was).

The bad which I expected from him.  He had know business throwing the ball on that 4th down play as that easily could've been a pick six.  He was completely out of sync with his wide receivers on a few incompletions.  There were a lot of false starts when he was in there, but I don't know how much he was to blame for them.  He stared down his primary receiver a lot and some balls may have been picked off if it wasn't for his arm strength.  There were some short throws that could've been more accurate.  He didn't seem to make adjustments when the blitz was coming.  The good news is most of his mistakes are fixable and typical for rookie QB's.

I'd give him a B plus for his first action in the NFL.  I'd love to see him play one game with the 1st stringers, but I understand why they want to bring him along slowly.

• Like (+1) 5