Why Do the Bills Need a New Stadium ??

T master

1 minute ago, Irv said:

OK. I get it.  Where the team is located doesn't matter to you because you don't live in WNY.  But it does matter to a lot of us and I'm sure there would be people lining up to pay a PSL if the Bills were to leave town.   Toronto Bills makes me want to barf.   I almost happened.  Livin' on a prayer! 

That the team is located in WNY is all that matters to me. 

How many any years have you been a season ticket holder? What is the maximum you will pay for one PSL and one season ticket?

I am not a season ticket holder.  Not sure why that matters.  I go to 2-3 games a year and live in Rochester.  Is a PSL 100% for sure?  You don't know that.   If it matters I am a huge fan of "The Band"

Edited by Irv

5 hours ago, T master said:

We've read all the articles about how the NFL wants the Bills to have a new stadium to be like Jerrah or Kronke out in LA but why ? The Bills are who we are & i like it this way !!

There is all this talk even before the Pegula's bought the team that the "NFL" & others want the Bills to have a new stadium & that if they don't get one it would be terrible & not up to NFL standards ! In all of the polls New Era Field is at the bottom of the fan experience list as far as NFL stadiums are concerned .

Well i have been to the field on numerous occasions & other than a blizzard on game day or a 18 degree temp. in Nov. my experience has for the most part been good (except the time i got my pockets picked at a N.E. game which i think was a N.E. fan) 

I read about the $18 Mill improvements to the Adpro sports facility that the Pegula's are doing which will make it among the best in the league, then you read about what new players say about the locker room improvements when they come here & it all being good reviews ! Add to it what they have done with the upgrades to the stadium to make the fan experience better over the last few years then WHY ??

I know NFL football fans are spoiled a lot like the players & feel they need all these interactive video/shopping center/ restaurant & such things that cost a Billion plus & i realize there are still things that need some upgrade in the stadium but coming from a era where every thing i got i earned being a part of a Jerry Jones spoiled ass experience i want no part of ! I've been to his stadium & was not really all that impressed because it reeks of his ego !! 

I'm proud to be a Bills fan & proud of the stadium & all that goes with it including the best tail gating any where in the NFL, what I don't understand is that if the NFL wants the Bills or any other team for that matter to build a new stadium why they don't pony up the majority of the cost instead of passing the buck off on the fans in one way or another or do what Kronke is doing pay for it out of the owners pockets they will recoup the money in time from the fans any way !!

Just saying i have never really had a bad experience (except for waiting in line to go to the rest room) at New Era Field & don't get with all the New why there needs to be a entirely new place & building maybe you all as Bills fans can give me a better idea why it needs or doesn't need to be, Thanks for your input either way good or bad !! 

GO BILLS !!! 

Building a new stadium is a very polarizing topic on a discussion board. We are all Bills fans and everyone has there likes & dislikes...

My reasons for wanting a new stadium & location:

1- The current location is built in the snow belt and was a bad idea from the start. Just because we're use to it being there, doesn't change the fact, imo.

2- The fan experience is exclusively dependent upon tailgating which leads to overserved fanatics that impinge upon the ridiculous & make the environment unsafe pre & post game. Very much a major lawsuit in the waiting...

3- Due to the location being that it is, there is no flexibility in the use of the site. In this day & age a mid-sized metro area needs to get the bang for the buck and use the site for no more than 8-10 Sunday's per year.

4- A urban/downtown site is a better location if the surrounding area is tied to a larger development plan. Having a convention center connected to a facility would allow for larger conventions to come to the city in the off-season and spur local business opportunities with foot traffic for the service industry,shopping & restaurant. 

Go Bills!

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

It's probably just me, but what I see is a whole boatload of chairs in a really nice looking building.  When I got to New Era, I see pretty much the same thing. 

Perhaps there are better amenities, maybe a chick fila or Shlotskys deli there, but I don't really get the fuss.  I've been to a few stadiums, saw the Bills play at Gillette a few times (spoiler alert...they lost) and Gillette is architecturally more pleasing but I'm not Frank Lloyd Wright so it's not a hot button issue for me.

If there is a functional obsolescence issue, fine, deal with it one way or the other, but I like out stadium.

Have to be there, I guess.

I enjoy going to Bills’ games but there really isn’t much that’s attractive about the stadium, the surroundings, or the grounds.

That doesn’t necessarily mean they need a new stadium though.

College football is more interesting than the NFL anyways.

Edited by Sky Diver
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's easy, the NFL is a business, a huge one, that is all about making money, lots of it. Compared to other stadiums in the league, New Era is a dump and cannot bring in the revenue that a new stadium would. So the league will continue to push for them to build a new one so they can keep up with the revenue other franchise are bringing in and they wont need their revenue sharing welfare anymore.

And if it comes down to it, and the Bill's decided to not listen to the league, the league could decide that maybe Buffalo isnt an NFL caliber city...

5 hours ago, cd1 said:

$$$$$$  M.O.N.E.Y.  $$$$$$

NFL Teams Split Record $7.8 Billion in 2016, Up 10% ... Each NFL team receives an equal share of the league's "national revenue" -- primarily money from television deals, but also league-wide sponsorships, licensing and merchandise sales.

http://adage.com/article/media/nfl-teams-split-record-7-8-billion-2016-10-percent/309737/

This has to do with $$$$ and the NFL owners. 

NFL owners to Terry Pegula - It is time you start contributing MORE $$$ to our pot!

The Bills contribution to the money pot was pale in comparison to most other teams YET Terry Pegula got an EQUAL share of the payout!

Other NFL owners don't give a **** about the Bills fans tailgating parties - they want their MONEY!

True but what happens if they do build a brand new stadium & can't sell the premium seating & boxes & the fans can no longer afford to go to the games because they have to up the prices of tickets to cover their asses on the other income that they though they would get but aren't !

If they do build a new stadium & lose revenue if we thought the Bills would be in danger of moving before that would make the other owners push 10 times harder to have the Pegula's either sell out or move the team to another city that would kiss the NFL ass to get a team ..

The Bills do not need a new stadium, there is nothing wrong with The Ralph functionally, But the NFL wants to generate more revenue and they will pressure the Bills to build a new stadium or do a heavy renovation so that they can build more luxury boxes and things that generate more revenue. 

7 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

The tailgating is half the experience IMO. But eventually I believe they will have to build a stadium downtown and that will put a damper on the tailgating. And by eventually I mean 10-15 years 

Been living in FSU territory for almost 20yrs. College tailgating is awesome and I can tell you it's awesome up there too. Took some friends to a Bills game and they were amazed at the tailgate scene. Just like Nole games down here. Downtown would kill that.

Edited by Dopey

They need a new stadium to establish new revenue streams. This will be done by catering to a different type of fan than yourself . One that desires creature comforts ( probably including climate controlled environment) and - here’s the key - is willing to pay for them. It’s a new era of NFL , one that most cities joined long ago. The Bills current revenue streams are tapped out. The Pegula’s have no pricing power without a new stadium. The Bills current ticket structure is severely underpriced. Check the secondary market resale sites if you doubt this. Current ticket holders are subsidizing their purchases by selling tickets to some games or even buying extra seats (that they get first dibs on) and reselling them at a profit. None of these extra dollars end up in the Bills coffers. So what to do? Well, it begins with a new stadium with better amenities and fewer seats. This will increase demand, and allow for much higher prices to be charged by the Bills for the best seats. But wait, you say. “ I’m not interested in paying more”. Well, exactly and the Bills are after a different fan. Not you. The simple answer to your question, OP is the obvious one. So the Bills can make a bigger profit. It’s actually similar to what has taken place in the airline industry. Have you flown recently? If you just want a cheap seat, it’s apparent from the onset of your flying experience that you aren’t the target customer. There’s no longer just a small first class section and the everyone else. There’s comfort coach ( at a higher cost) , business class ( you guessed it ) and even early boarding . All for a fee. Plus you pay if you want to check a bag. If not,  you wait and wait to be called to board, finally beginning your journey onto an already crowded plane. You make your way to the steerage section in hopes that you can squeeze your overstuffed carry on somewhere. It’s exactly what the NFL has already become, and the Bills are one of the last to join the club. Mostly due to the previous owner. There’s a substantial amount of dollars being left on the sideline right now by a significant market in the WNY region. One that won’t go to the games either due to weather or undesirable rowdy fans who are encouraged by the cheap tickets. This market represents a large new revenue stream in an underpriced market that’s hampered by its outdated facility. This is the reality, whether fans want to accept it or not. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

I find the passion about this topic both refreshing and sad that we are fighting over something so minimal:

1) I love the old stadium with many great memories and hope that when they build to new stadium that they try to recreate the bowl areas, great sight lines and a good family feel.

2) I believe the next stadium is downtown and it will end up being a good thing but something that will take time to get use to.

3) I am not sure where the money is going to come from for the luxury boxes but if it is possible to get that money the Bills should get it.

4) Lastly the Pegulas are not stupid and know what the market will bear as far as cost so I highly doubt they will start jacking up ticket prices by huge amounts. 

I hope the Bills do what is best for all the fans overall and that the tailgating does not disappear but maybe changes where I have to explain that I am not Bills Mafia.

44 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

They need a new stadium to establish new revenue streams. This will be done by catering to a different type of fan than yourself . One that desires creature comforts ( probably including climate controlled environment) and - here’s the key - is willing to pay for them. It’s a new era of NFL , one that most cities joined long ago. The Bills current revenue streams are tapped out. The Pegula’s have no pricing power without a new stadium. The Bills current ticket structure is severely underpriced. Check the secondary market resale sites if you doubt this. Current ticket holders are subsidizing their purchases by selling tickets to some games or even buying extra seats (that they get first dibs on) and reselling them at a profit. None of these extra dollars end up in the Bills coffers. So what to do? Well, it begins with a new stadium with better amenities and fewer seats. This will increase demand, and allow for much higher prices to be charged by the Bills for the best seats. But wait, you say. “ I’m not interested in paying more”. Well, exactly and the Bills are after a different fan. Not you. The simple answer to your question, OP is the obvious one. So the Bills can make a bigger profit. It’s actually similar to what has taken place in the airline industry. Have you flown recently? If you just want a cheap seat, it’s apparent from the onset of your flying experience that you aren’t the target customer. There’s no longer just a small first class section and the everyone else. There’s comfort coach ( at a higher cost) , business class ( you guessed it ) and even early boarding . All for a fee. Plus you pay if you want to check a bag. If not, we’ll you wait and wait to be called to board, finally beginning your journey onto an already crowded plane. You make your way to the steerage section in hopes that you can squeeze your overstuffed carry on somewhere. It’s exactly what the NFL has already become, and the Bills are one of the last to join the club. Mostly due to the previous owner. There’s a substantial amount of dollars being left on the sideline right now by a significant market in the WNY region. One that won’t go to the games either due to weather or undesirable rowdy fans who are encouraged by the cheap tickets. This market represents a large new revenue stream in an underpriced market that’s hampered by its outdated facility. This is the reality, whether fans want to accept it or not. 

Many good points here.  Buffalo will have a downtown stadium by 2025.  The team will continue to be housed at the OP site.  There are enough deep pockets in WNY, Rochester, and Ontario to give the NFL the revenue stream it expects. However, I don't think a new stadium closes out people who only want to pay $100 or less for a ticket.  In Atlanta, they have a jewel, but there are still a high percentage of cheap tickets.  They have never known how to tailgate there, so they don't know any better.  Also, the stadium downtown has not brought life there.  People get outta there asap.  Buffalo has a sense of community, and could be drawn downtown even more.  I agree Buffalo would lose the table crashing and good times in the parking lots down town;  however, Buffalo's sense of community would still find a way to make it fun.   Go Bills!!!

3 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

I think what we have is great for an NFL game experience,  sure they could add some luxury boxes to increase revenues .  End of the day the on the field product is the most important and if Allen turns into a franchise QB then good things will follow.

Having a new billion dollar plus stadium is not going to increase interest but a winning team with great QB will.

I think Kirby Jackson explained why new stadiums are wanted. It allows teams to create high-priced sections that you can't create in the present stadium.

6 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

I'm not advocating for a new stadium, but to suggest that our stadium is better than Lambeau is laughable.

The points you are making are laughable.  New Era is Lambeau before it's renovation.  Once again, there is no other seating in the NFL better than inside New Era.  None.  Period.  The design of the stadium to watch football is king. 

So, of course, since Lambeau has been renovated, it should be better at this point.  New Era goes through renovation, it'll be badass.  And no, despite what ESPN or whoever tells you different, a renovation will not cost anywhere near new construction.  Not even close.  

Put 500 million into New Era, and people will be pissing themselves in joy.  

The new concrete havens being built are awful.  Baltimore absolutely blows.  So does Carolina.  Washington's is awful.  A lot of people weren't enamored with Heinz Field either.  It looks cool, but lost it's intimacy almost as soon as it opened.  SF is awful.   

Two of the best stadiums to still watch football are KC and GB.  Both were renovated.  Dallas in on it's own planet.  The rest pretty much are anti-septic and suck.  That includes the new Giants and Jets stadium as well.

Join KC and Lambeau, spend 500 million, and sit back and stay a real football town.

And by the way, almost every study out there suggests that downtown stadiums do absolutely nothing to spur growth or comebacks.  So, that's not even a point you can go with either.

3 hours ago, pimp on da' net said:

Building a new stadium is a very polarizing topic on a discussion board. We are all Bills fans and everyone has there likes & dislikes...

My reasons for wanting a new stadium & location:

1- The current location is built in the snow belt and was a bad idea from the start. Just because we're use to it being there, doesn't change the fact, imo.

2- The fan experience is exclusively dependent upon tailgating which leads to overserved fanatics that impinge upon the ridiculous & make the environment unsafe pre & post game. Very much a major lawsuit in the waiting...

3- Due to the location being that it is, there is no flexibility in the use of the site. In this day & age a mid-sized metro area needs to get the bang for the buck and use the site for no more than 8-10 Sunday's per year.

4- A urban/downtown site is a better location if the surrounding area is tied to a larger development plan. Having a convention center connected to a facility would allow for larger conventions to come to the city in the off-season and spur local business opportunities with foot traffic for the service industry,shopping & restaurant. 

Go Bills!

I get the idea of a new stadium perhaps tapping upscale customers who normally would eschew going to OP but beyond that I don't see the reasoning cited.

1- If a new stadium is built in the city it would be built to the south end.  Not really escaping the snow belt.

2- Fan foul ups have had the potential to happen already and crafty lawyers will find a way even if the location has changed.  The bar business has changed greatly in the last 10-15 years as old time owners gave up fighting lawsuits among other things.  Drive around WNY and see how many places are permanently closed that used to be a name in the business.

3- I don't know that downtown makes you more flexible along with a change in structure type.  The 1980's are gone in terms of big acts touring midsized cities.

4- Buffalo might be starting a revitalization but has a long ways to go.  I don't think that we are at the point of "build it and they will come."  Buffalo is not a destination for many outside of WNY.

And one more question.   How exactly does the NFL maximize revenue from a new Buffalo stadium exactly?  Usually the wow factors are the suite areas.  That money belongs to the home team owners.   So, that doesn't go to the NFL.  That would be the Pegulas.  If they are OK with their revenue stream currently, they don't need a new stadium.  Or the bill that comes with it.  

So, how again, does the entire league benefit from a new stadium in Buffalo?  The Pegulas would, IF, big IF, they could actually sell the suites at high dollar levels where the market probably can't support that.  Other than that, per game ticket sales are chicken scratch in the grand scheme of things.  That's basically what the owners share out of a stadium.

3 minutes ago, Lv-Bills said:

The points you are making are laughable.  New Era is Lambeau before it's renovation.  Once again, there is no other seating in the NFL better than inside New Era.  None.  Period.  The design of the stadium to watch football is king. 

So, of course, since Lambeau has been renovated, it should be better at this point.  New Era goes through renovation, it'll be badass.  And no, despite what ESPN or whoever tells you different, a renovation will not cost anywhere near new construction.  Not even close.  

Put 500 million into New Era, and people will be pissing themselves in joy.  

The new concrete havens being built are awful.  Baltimore absolutely blows.  So does Carolina.  Washington's is awful.  A lot of people weren't enamored with Heinz Field either.  It looks cool, but lost it's intimacy almost as soon as it opened.  SF is awful.   

Two of the best stadiums to still watch football are KC and GB.  Both were renovated.  Dallas in on it's own planet.  The rest pretty much are anti-septic and suck.  That includes the new Giants and Jets stadium as well.

Join KC and Lambeau, spend 500 million, and sit back and stay a real football town.

And by the way, almost every study out there suggests that downtown stadiums do absolutely nothing to spur growth or comebacks.  So, that's not even a point you can go with either.

Most of the new stadiums are not expected to be around in several decades in the future especially DC's.  They will be doing the new stadium process if they are lucky after the debt on the current place is paid off.  PSL's are bearable for the well to do if the team wins on a regular basis.  The problem is in any given season a certain percentage of teams will have losing seasons.  As long as their is integrity in the game a team has a much of a chance to win or lose in a decades old facility as the Cowboys who play in Jerry World or the Rams in LA.  The unthinkable happened back in the 1980's with the Yankee's in terms or racking up numerous back to back poor seasons and the odds most likely favor at some point successful to today teams undergoing a prolonged slump.

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

They need a new stadium to establish new revenue streams. This will be done by catering to a different type of fan than yourself . One that desires creature comforts ( probably including climate controlled environment) and - here’s the key - is willing to pay for them. It’s a new era of NFL , one that most cities joined long ago. The Bills current revenue streams are tapped out. The Pegula’s have no pricing power without a new stadium. The Bills current ticket structure is severely underpriced. Check the secondary market resale sites if you doubt this. Current ticket holders are subsidizing their purchases by selling tickets to some games or even buying extra seats (that they get first dibs on) and reselling them at a profit. None of these extra dollars end up in the Bills coffers. So what to do? Well, it begins with a new stadium with better amenities and fewer seats. This will increase demand, and allow for much higher prices to be charged by the Bills for the best seats. But wait, you say. “ I’m not interested in paying more”. Well, exactly and the Bills are after a different fan. Not you. The simple answer to your question, OP is the obvious one. So the Bills can make a bigger profit. It’s actually similar to what has taken place in the airline industry. Have you flown recently? If you just want a cheap seat, it’s apparent from the onset of your flying experience that you aren’t the target customer. There’s no longer just a small first class section and the everyone else. There’s comfort coach ( at a higher cost) , business class ( you guessed it ) and even early boarding . All for a fee. Plus you pay if you want to check a bag. If not, we’ll you wait and wait to be called to board, finally beginning your journey onto an already crowded plane. You make your way to the steerage section in hopes that you can squeeze your overstuffed carry on somewhere. It’s exactly what the NFL has already become, and the Bills are one of the last to join the club. Mostly due to the previous owner. There’s a substantial amount of dollars being left on the sideline right now by a significant market in the WNY region. One that won’t go to the games either due to weather or undesirable rowdy fans who are encouraged by the cheap tickets. This market represents a large new revenue stream in an underpriced market that’s hampered by its outdated facility. This is the reality, whether fans want to accept it or not. 

You are raising a very ugly word for many (not including me) which is regionalization.  Even if the new stadium is downtown (and that is not guaranteed) it will mean bringing in people from Rochester (and points east of Rochester) as well as Ontario Province.  Raising the median ticket price will have the effect of closing out a greater number of Erie County patrons.  Studies done on a new location may or may not show downtown is the best place to go.  Back on BBMB many swore that their allegiance to the Bills would be sorely tested if a downtown location did not happen.

I question the notion that it is the NFL that wants a new stadium. Why do they care? They aren't in the construction business and the stadium in OP is fine as is. I could see putting a roof on it, but let's use use the rest of that money for education. Good for the local economy.

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

You are raising a very ugly word for many (not including me) which is regionalization.  Even if the new stadium is downtown (and that is not guaranteed) it will mean bringing in people from Rochester (and points east of Rochester) as well as Ontario Province.  Raising the median ticket price will have the effect of closing out a greater number of Erie County patrons.  Studies done on a new location may or may not show downtown is the best place to go.  Back on BBMB many swore that their allegiance to the Bills would be sorely tested if a downtown location did not happen.

I agree Rob, it is regionalization . However it’s more of a continuation of this regionalizing of the Bills franchise. It’s already been going on for some time ( thanks to you know who: Russ Brandon). Honestly, it’s how the team has managed to survive in WNY to this point. It’s definitely not a word that should be ugly to Bills fans. They wouldn’t have a team without it. 

8 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I question the notion that it is the NFL that wants a new stadium. Why do they care? They aren't in the construction business and the stadium in OP is fine as is. I could see putting a roof on it, but let's use use the rest of that money for education. Good for the local economy.

See some of the earlier posts, they alluded to this. Basically there’s a big pot of money that the NFL teams share equally. Some teams such as the Dallas Cowboys and the Patriots kick a much greater sum of $$ into that pot. Lower revenue teams ( such as the Bills) don’t contribute as much, yet they share equally. The high earning teams see the Bills as a sort of welfare queen. They’d like the Bills to turn a bigger profit, and contribute more to the pot. They can’t do it without a new stadium. There’s nothing to draw a fan into a 50 yard line seat for $200 in the same cold ,spartan stadium that once charged a different fan $95. That’s the issue.