Joe B: Adolphus Washington has played poorly in TC and may be cut

4 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Whaley bashing in jest is ok though isn’t it? 

Reality is the guy has an eye for talent, but building a team?  Not quite so sure. Sammy is a fine example.  All the talent in the world- but so far he’s been found expendable by two teams... what’s the prediction he plays out his whole deal in kc? 

The new guys seem to prioritize team and scheme over talent. Time will tell how well it works. 

The real issue with Adolphis is; Kyle, Star and the rook are locks.  

Dude definitely had his faults but he got us some serious talent.  In a perfect world, I like the combo of Whaley/ McDermott because it feels like Beane is just a figurehead and it’s all McDermott making the calls. If Allen is a hit, they are geniuses 

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

1). I agree you shouldn’t trade up for a receiver in the first.  But Sammy was the clear 1 and thought to have Julio ability.  Also, he is getting paid $16 million dollars by one of the best offensive coaches in the nfl.  Do you think Zay will ever command that much?

2) we traded up to get Zay because we hired his wr coach and JuJu was still on the board.  

3). We gave up a good amount to get Allen.  If any of the qbs end up being better than him, it looks like a bad move.  

I try to be consistent.  I think trading up was the worse part of Whaley as a GM.  So I don’t like the trade ups with the new regime.  If Allen become a stud, who cares.  But I do think a general rule of thumb for GMs is don’t trade up unless it’s for a qb.  And if you do that, you better get the right one.  You want as many chances at the lottery as possible.

Since you mention trading up, Whaley had some nice trade downs. Consider with the bills first 2013 pick they picked up Shady + one year of a nearly DROY MLB. That’s acceptable 

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

I read this article yesterday and it didn't say he was "likely" to be cut.  It said, he was in danger of being cut if he didn't turn the corner. 

"Based on what we saw last year from Washington and what we've seen so far in training camp, I would not at all be surprised if Washington ends up on the wrong side of the roster bubble when final cuts come down at the end of the preseason. He needs to turn it around and quickly before it's too late."

If I remember it correctly, I think Joe B. had the same exact narrative about Adolphus last year and the guy ended up playing the second most snaps on the defensive line.  

Good point.  But,  to be fair, the D line last year was abysmal against the run.  So with a guy like Phillips ahead of him. A. Washington could be cut.  Esp. if a better player is cut from another team or becomes available.  

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

Weird how different people have such different takes on the same player.  Joe B has also said:

To this point in training camp, Washington has been mainly invisible and has only one win during 1-on-1 drills out of a total of 10 tries. His only win by my count came against rookie Wyatt Teller, and the remainder of the time right guard John Miller has dominated him on most reps. If you combine his lack of a presence early on with the fact that the Bills have already started giving Harrison Phillips work at Washington's three-technique position, it all is not adding up well for the past Doug Whaley selection. 

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-7-observations-from-2018-buffalo-bills-training-camp-day-5

These 1 on 1's seem difficult to grade for me.  There is another narrative that Miller is MUCH IMPROVED.  So, is Washington bad, or is Miller dominant?  

How's Miller looking against Phillips?  

Can't wait for preseason games!!!

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Dude definitely had his faults but he got us some serious talent.  In a perfect world, I like the combo of Whaley/ McDermott because it feels like Beane is just a figurehead and it’s all McDermott making the calls. If Allen is a hit, they are geniuses 

I thought that was the plan. Whaley is a process guy too, or at least talked the talk. 

Something about those two seemed not to click.

my w.a.g. is Whaley is a talent first guy, McD is a locker room / scheme first guy. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Washington was atrocious on the field last season.  He needs to have a really good camp and pre-season for me to give him a break.  

I posted this in some other Washington thread, but his overall stats (except sacks) were better than Kyles when adjusted for snap counts. I'm sure you're opinion s based on what you observe, not the stats.

6 minutes ago, TPS said:

I posted this in some other Washington thread, but his overall stats (except sacks) were better than Kyles when adjusted for snap counts. I'm sure you're opinion s based on what you observe, not the stats.

Yea it isn't stats. He was constantly overpowered at the point of impact and out of position in the run game. 

I said this earlier

I didnt understand what ppl were seeing with Adolphus Washington....when he is on the field the running defense is aweful.....and he very seldom actually gets to the QB.

It would not shock me to see him go and have Shaq Lawson play more interior pass rusher.....and also getting Horrible Harry onto the field more......which would open up a spot to keep 3 qbs

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Weird how different people have such different takes on the same player.  Joe B has also said:

To this point in training camp, Washington has been mainly invisible and has only one win during 1-on-1 drills out of a total of 10 tries. His only win by my count came against rookie Wyatt Teller, and the remainder of the time right guard John Miller has dominated him on most reps. If you combine his lack of a presence early on with the fact that the Bills have already started giving Harrison Phillips work at Washington's three-technique position, it all is not adding up well for the past Doug Whaley selection. 

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-7-observations-from-2018-buffalo-bills-training-camp-day-5

Well, Whaley fans should look at the bright side, John Miller is getting some good press. Maybe O’Leary won’t be the last Whaley guy standing after all.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I said this earlier

I didnt understand what ppl were seeing with Adolphus Washington....when he is on the field the running defense is aweful.....and he very seldom actually gets to the QB.

It would not shock me to see him go and have Shaq Lawson play more interior pass rusher.....and also getting Horrible Harry onto the field more......which would open up a spot to keep 3 qbs

Did John just have a negative post about a Bills player???? The world is going to end now that the Bills made the playoffs isn’t it? ?

53 minutes ago, Rico said:

Well, Whaley fans should look at the bright side, John Miller is getting some good press. Maybe O’Leary won’t be the last Whaley guy standing after all.

I’m sure Sammy is crying into all his money about not being on the Bills.  Or Darby or Bradham while polishing their SB rings.  Or Hogan. Or Woods getting paid nice money in LA.  Whaley sucks.

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Did John just have a negative post about a Bills player???? The world is going to end now that the Bills made the playoffs isn’t it? ?

I’m sure Sammy is crying into all his money about not being on the Bills.  Or Darby or Bradham while polishing their SB rings.  Or Hogan. Or Woods getting paid nice money in LA.  Whaley sucks.

You know he has to be REALLY bad in order for me to make a negative comment!

• Like (+1) 1