If you were an opposing DC how would you play Bills personnel?

KingRex

Forgive me for not reading all the posts but when the Debbie downer theme seemed prevalent I decided to skip ahead. I think opposing d,s are gonna try to do that same as last year and stack the box, at least early on...which will be good for us and get us a few surprise early wins. Foster has 4.35 speed. Reilly is plenty fast and Dupre is slippery. That,s not to mention kb, Jones and Kerley. We are gonna f teams up right out of the gate....and our d is gonna be punishing. Next off-season we will be talking about how we have a top notch young Corp. Of wr,s with Foster, Dupre, Reilly and Jones. Book it.

Edited by billsredneck1

2 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

First things first, I’d go up to my best cornerback and tell him he is benched right before the national anthem. I’d figure the rest out on the fly, I’m the greatest ever.

Nicely done!

yep, already stated, 8 man in the box, make them throw on 1st and 2nd down, press cover because our receivers haven't proven they can create seperation. On 3rd down, complex coverages and confuse the inexperienced qb's. 

1 hour ago, White Linen said:

Pro bowl - shmo bowl.  Wood was very very good at Center.  It's my biggest worry on the o line and it's not close for me.  

No big drop off when Groy filled in for him. I’m more worried about replacing Richie.

4 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

I'd also put 8 in the box.  Make the Bills prove they can throw.  And I'd rush the passer and play man on all WR's until the Bills can throw.  McCarron and Peterman are bad with pressure (sacks v. INT's) and Allen is a rookie.  

That said, our WR's could surprise, and after getting burnt perhaps a few times, the D coordinator would need to change.  But until then, I'd run this type of D.  

...probably a good assessment about an initial plan....Shady is the only real "given".....now if one of the Cadet-Jones-Murphy trio can step up as the next Kenneth Davis, it could get interesting.....throw in McDaboll utilizing Shady out of the backfield in a "Thurmal mode" or how the Pats continually smoked us with Kevin Faulk.....could soften the box a bit.....plenty of variables and unknowns with QB's, OL and WR's.......if the OL resembles some consistent run/passing blocking, QB's having time to scan the entire field and WR's open in those uncharted waters previously known as "DOWNFIELD (GPS units available)", and a rumblin', stumblin', grumblin' 252 lb Logan Thomas down the seam underneath, McDaboll could have some real good promise with a properly designed, exploitive offense.....sure as hell have more confidence in him versus Dennison, Hackett or even Fairchild if you want to back further....

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, nucci said:

He already is a QB

was TT humor : )

3 hours ago, nucci said:

again, all the time? That's impossible and to think that Benjamin can't beat one-on-one coverage most of the time is ridiculous......you guys seems to think there is no talent on this offense...line up 4 wide and screens to McCoy....slants to Benjamin....Clay gets open often....

okay, 7 in the box.

Pressure the Offense to prove the pass. Thats how i would start the first half till i got beat. keep everything underneath the secondary.

see how the O line holds up. Adjustment from there.

If they can play physical , then start stunting and blitzing. then the disguises. It's the first game.. not need to get complicated against Bills offense who is unprove with no tape

2 hours ago, mead107 said:

Wave the white flag ?️

?

2 hours ago, White Linen said:

Pro bowl - shmo bowl.  Wood was very very good at Center.  It's my biggest worry on the o line and it's not close for me.  

lets not turn this thread away from it's intention.

2 hours ago, mead107 said:

Wave the white flag ?️

?

them or Us ?

2 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

Forgive me for not reading all the posts but when the Debbie downer theme seemed prevalent I decided to skip ahead. I think opposing d,s are gonna try to do that same as last year and stack the box, at least early on...which will be good for us and get us a few surprise early wins. Foster has 4.35 speed. Reilly is plenty fast and Dupre is slippery. That,s not to mention kb, Jones and Kerley. We are gonna f teams up right out of the gate....and our d is gonna be punishing. Next off-season we will be talking about how we have a top notch young Corp. Of wr,s with Foster, Dupre, Reilly and Jones. Book it.

I like your charisma .
we are gonna have to pass to run..

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

No big drop off when Groy filled in for him. I’m more worried about replacing Richie.

I like Miller coming back.
but 

yes

I would take the day off and let some assistant handle my light work. Not wasting my energy on a team that fired an OC last year. 

In all seriousness I assume a lot will change so I would actually have to game plan against it. That is my hope.

5 hours ago, KingRex said:

I am interested in seeing Peterman as well because of several factors from his starting debacle last year.

1. I thought one of the worst things in how McD and the braintrust managed Peterman's start last year was that they announced the switch far earlier in the week than they were mandated to do under league rules.  By doing it the way they did they gave the opposing DC and SDplayers opportunity to gameplan and practice taking advantage of the rookie Peterman.

2. I also worry that Peterman and the O's performance in the game not only lower his self-confidence but his teammates confidence in him.  It seems clear to me that a lot of the media is only too pleased to anoint our next great hope as a definite starter before the player is ready and also to throw a failed player under the bus before its too early to do so.

Dude he blows. Next you’ll tell me the equipment manager didn’t have the right colored jock strap and it threw his game off by 3 picks. 

Nobody worth their salt throws that many picks in their first half of their first career game and goes on to ride into the sunset with a fist full of rings. His career was over before the 1st qtr; sad. 

6 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

I'd also put 8 in the box.  Make the Bills prove they can throw.  And I'd rush the passer and play man on all WR's until the Bills can throw.  McCarron and Peterman are bad with pressure (sacks v. INT's) and Allen is a rookie.  

That said, our WR's could surprise, and after getting burnt perhaps a few times, the D coordinator would need to change.  But until then, I'd run this type of D.  

I agree with this.  Occasionally if its third and long I may drop into a deep zone, let whoever is QB the Bills to throw underneath pick up 5-8 yards and then force them to punt.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Seeing "8" in the box a lot in this thread

So you dont think NFL defenses have not already been doing that?

And they STILL have not been able to stop our running game.

The question is.....will we finally see a QB under center that can take advantage of teams playing us this way.

You don't think TT and running ability had anything to do with the running game's success?

Top 10 scoring offense with TT, Shady, Sammy, and Clay.  

This offense is without an explosive downfield threat.  That means the majority of the passing games has to be 5-12 yards from the LOS and at times behind the LOS.  Teh short passing game will open up some running lanes, and the running game will open up the play action passing.

Want to stop this attack.  Do what Rex did to Chan Gailey.  Play a single high safety and play everyone else up tight.  Drop the Linebackers and DB's into short zone coverage.  Give up short passes, make tackles, DL get your hands up quick, and make the offense put together three short positive gains in a row to get a first down. Guaranteed in that sequence there will be a tipped ball, a drop, an errant pass, or a non-productive run.  Force the offense to make an explosive play.   That is how you beat this offense.

How does this offense succeed?  KB draws double teams and still can make plays with his size. Clay and O'Leary are capable receiving threats that can block enough to force opposing defenses to stay in their base defense.  This favors the passing game.  WR screens can beat short zones because the WR gets the ball often with blockers before the defense can get wide.  Get rid of the FB.  I'm serious. Just cut them all.  The base set should be double TE, double WR and a single back or the Joe Gibbs three WR, one TE set.  This gives multiple run pass options and mostly forces the defense to play their base 4-3 or 3-4.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Play physical. Don't let the Bills get 3rd and managable. Force them to go East and West. Make them cough up the ball and put it on the ground. Utilize your James Harrison-s or your Von Miller-s to apply pressure. ?

Edited by The Process
spelling

10 hours ago, SCBills said:

Everyone in the box.  No DB’s. 7 linebackers. 

11 players on the line.....Bills won't even complete a pass the entire season with the QBs, OL and WRs on this team.

2 hours ago, The Process said:

Play physical. Don't let the Bills get 3rd and managable. Force them to go East and West. Make them cough ip the ball and put it on the ground. Utilize your James Harrison-s or your Von Miller-s to apply pressure. ?

What does this mean? Football is a physical game....how do you play unphysical? I'm hoping most of this is sarcasm because it can't be serious. Covered every cliche

Edited by nucci

Until our line can prove it's worth,  a zone blitze scheme.  With the QBs we have, just apply pressure and wait for Nate to throw you 5 picks.   AJ burned someone last year playing man coverage, but he was throwing to another AJ..... But AJ green is a monster.

I have no input for Allen yet.

As far as shady goes,  I play him like belicheck played Thurman in our first super bowl.  Let him have yards up the middle.  Don't let him out side.

10 minutes ago, JaxBills said:

Until our line can prove it's worth,  a zone blitze scheme.  With the QBs we have, just apply pressure and wait for Nate to throw you 5 picks.   AJ burned someone last year playing man coverage, but he was throwing to another AJ..... But AJ green is a monster.

I have no input for Allen yet.

As far as shady goes,  I play him like belicheck played Thurman in our first super bowl.  Let him have yards up the middle.  Don't let him out side.

15 carries 135 yds 1 TD.....5 catches 55 yards.....great defense on Thurman

I'd drop everyone into coverage even my D-tackles. Have all my CBs play at least 15 yards off the line, and make sure I am totally set way before the ball is snapped so that the Bills O has a comfortable amount of time to see what I was doing.

Hey I'm a Bills fan and I never said I was a good DC.

A 3/4 defense with a strong nose might give the Bills offense problems.

I am well aware that it is a passing league, but if I were an opposing DC, I would try to take away the run from the Bills, and weak guards might make me able to do so. I would try to force them to throw and then come after the qbs with  blitzes. This is what I fear will happen.

The Bills, with Bruce, Bryce and company had a GREAT defense but as great as they were, they would sometimes get tired because the offense was just that bad.

If the Bills can find some way, ANY way to field a strong, effective OL, this team has the potential to be fairly good. If not, we are done.

Jmo.

2 hours ago, The Process said:

Play physical. Don't let the Bills get 3rd and managable. Force them to go East and West. Make them cough ip the ball and put it on the ground. Utilize your James Harrison-s or your Von Miller-s to apply pressure. ?

That Sir, is one fantastic avatar!!!!!!

Welcome to TSW!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

15 minutes ago, JaxBills said:

The point was to dictate what he gets and not let him take over.  It worked.

I agree stats don't mean much but Thurman was MVP that game. Belichick didn't dictate anything. Problem was not giving Thurman more carries

1 minute ago, nucci said:

I agree stats don't mean much but Thurman was MVP that game. Belichick didn't dictate anything. Problem was not giving Thurman more carries

It's not an opinion I formed.  It's from the horses mouth. 

2 minutes ago, JaxBills said:

It's not an opinion I formed.  It's from the horses mouth. 

They gave the middle to Thurman to control our RPO.

4 hours ago, nucci said:

11 players on the line.....Bills won't even complete a pass the entire season with the QBs, OL and WRs on this team.

What does this mean? Football is a physical game....how do you play unphysical? I'm hoping most of this is sarcasm because it can't be serious. Covered every cliche

100% Sarcasm sir!