Early indications: The Bills will actually have a modern offense ?!

Logic

On 7/28/2018 at 9:04 PM, ShadyBillsFan said:

But why were they issues?

You're kidding, right?  In the original context, I'm speaking of Dennison's offense.  

"The design of the run scheme and the offense in general with little/no presnap motion, little/no misdirection, no attempts to provoke mismatches"

In case it honestly isn't clear to you, these were issues because

1) they didn't help the QB diagnose the defensive coverage

2) they didn't help the offense by confusing, or at least slowing, the opponents defense at all - we were quite predictable

3) in addition, he had the OL in a zone blocking scheme that did not suit their strengths

As a result, Shady's productivity dropped 1.4 YPA.  Taylor's dropped 1 YPA.  The team overall dropped 1.2 YPA.  And the team as a whole dropped 12 points in offensive ranking, from #10 to #22.

Wrex Ryan thought he’d be cute and supplement the run game with his QB.  

The gimmick worked Year one and then continued to stagnate as the weeks progressed. (Not to mention 3 QC’s) 

But we digress.   

Actually, I don't think we digress.  I think we return to an oft-reiterated theme for you, which amounts to severely revisionist history viewed through the lens of your demonstrated obsession with Taylor.

1) Roman (not Rex) had a track record of building a successful offense around a top-notch rushing attack and QB who is a threat to run.  He went to a Superbowl and two conference championships with Smith and Kaepernick in this style of offense. 

2) Roman's offense run by Taylor had the Bills #12 overall in 2015 and #10 or 11 overall in 2016.  (So much for the offense's alleged stagnation.)

3) As far as Roman, word had it he got the ax because his second year he insisted on putting 100 plays into the game plan of which they practiced 30 and maybe ran only 9 or 10, and on scripting, instead of being flexible to take what was working. 

4) Lynn was more successful with the same offense by simplifying it but insisting that what he did put in, must be mastered by the team.

5) Our offense last year was completely different, and far less effective especially given a downgrade in WR  - we lost the speed to make the deep threat work, and our WR couldn't gain separation.

Lets hope Dabols scheme works.  

On this point we agree

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You're kidding, right?  In the original context, I'm speaking of Dennison's offense.  

"The design of the run scheme and the offense in general with little/no presnap motion, little/no misdirection, no attempts to provoke mismatches"

2) they didn't help the offense by confusing, or at least slowing, the opponents defense at all - we were quite predictable

3) in addition, he had the OL in a zone blocking scheme that did not suit their strengths

As a result, Shady's productivity dropped 1.4 YPA.  Taylor's dropped 1 YPA.  The team overall dropped 1.2 YPA.  And the team as a whole dropped 12 points in offensive ranking, from #10 to #22.

Actually, I don't think we digress.  I think we return to an oft-reiterated theme for you, which amounts to severely revisionist history viewed through the lens of your demonstrated obsession with Taylor.

1) Roman (not Rex) had a track record of building a successful offense around a top-notch rushing attack and QB who is a threat to run.  He went to a Superbowl and two conference championships with Smith and Kaepernick in this style of offense. 

2) Roman's offense run by Taylor had the Bills #12 overall in 2015 and #10 or 11 overall in 2016.  (So much for the offense's alleged stagnation.)

3) As far as Roman, word had it he got the ax because his second year he insisted on putting 100 plays into the game plan of which they practiced 30 and maybe ran only 9 or 10, and on scripting, instead of being flexible to take what was working. 

4) Lynn was more successful with the same offense by simplifying it but insisting that what he did put in, must be mastered by the team.

5) Our offense last year was completely different, and far less effective especially given a downgrade in WR  - we lost the speed to make the deep threat work, and our WR couldn't gain separation.

On this point we agree

I wholeheartedly agree with you on all points. All one has to do to get clarity on the firings is ask oneself, where is greg roman and Rico now? Are their new gigs promotions or demotions?

As for Lynn, I feel like the stink of being hired by the clown show they had just fired  two and a half minutes before was a bridge too far for the Pegulas to overcome. With all that being said, he is by all accounts a solid guy and doing a decent job out with the bolts.

I'm just psyched to see that they've finally brought in an OC who understands how to play to the strengths of his players. More and more over the last few years, teams have adopted that method over the ol' "Here's my offense, learn it and that's that" type of coordinators. Far too often teams are hamstrung by a coordinator who *has* to run his system (i.e. Rex) despite not having the best personnel for it. 

I've always felt like it shouldn't be as difficult as some coordinators make it. Some of them put scheme over talent. I've always thought that any decent coach thoroughly evaluates his personnel, discovers what they have a natural knack for and designs a system based around those things. That's a big reason why Wentz has had success out in Philly. They've placed him in schemes that he's familiar with and they play to his strengths. Gotta be the same with Allen here. And, it's gonna take a while, but once they get things down, it'll be interesting to see how well they adjust from week to week as Daboll plans on having a "multiple" type of offense that does the Pats thing where they change it up based on who they play. 

On 7/29/2018 at 8:19 AM, NoSaint said:

This is buffalo fans - we sprint through brick walls pretending guys are good because they looked good in a walk through and ignore the entirety of their resume. It’s waaaaay to early to be pointing at street free agents being viable players suddenly because of the scheme 

Says is too early to judge... judges anyways. ?

4 minutes ago, Luka said:

Says is too early to judge... judges anyways. ?

Says 2 practices don’t outweigh entirety of their collegiate and professional careers, and is judged by a guy with poor comprehension.

its not too early to judge. It’s too small a sample to justify drastically changing judgements.

20 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Hackett & Dennison were awful. What can you expect. If Daboll even uses a little of the NE style I'll be ecstatic. 

Belicheat/Brady essentially run a spread offense, in the Mike Leach style (as does Green Baysnd many other NFL teams).

i have been chastised by many TBD “experts” that this type of offense will simply not work in the NFL.

Now how many rings does Brady have?

It’s about time the Bills ran a “modern” NFL offense”.

I don't  care if our offense is "modern" or not as long as they score a lot of points.  Hopefully they can be as effective as the Bills 2015 stone age offense with an RB at QB that finished 13th in the league in points.  I'd take that.  There are no style points in football.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

On this point we agree

In the big picture Tyrod failed to retain the starting spot 

That is is not an obsession it is a statement based on fact. 

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Uh ok.   The TT fans sure do have thin skin.   

I get dinged for this type of response.

Lets not continue down this road.  

We have 2 new qbs for a reason.  

Christ I’m ready to stop posting here. 

You only post about Tyrod anyways. It’s really kind of weird. You got called out for it 3 or 4 times this week!! This thread was on the design of Daboll’s offense and you started talking about what a relief it was that Nate was a passing QB. Not sure what that has to do with the design of the offense? Also not sure that a guy that was 24 of 49 for 252, 2 TDs and 5 INTs qualifies as a “passing QB.”

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Yawn 

Funny I’m “called out” by the Taylor fans.  

I’ve spoken to what I’ve seen on film and read on line. 

Its camp where players are learning the offense and  AJ and NP are taking the lions share with the ones and JA gets a smaller portion with them.  

Its up to McDermott and co who stays and goes.  

Not you or me.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

15 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Yawn 

Its camp where players are learning the offense and  AJ and NP are taking the lions share with the ones and JA gets a smaller portion with them.  

Not you or me.  

It was tired when he was here and it’s kind creepy that your still talking about him 6 months later.

TBD - “What do you guys think of Daboll’s offense?” 

Shady - “It was such a relief to watch Nate as a passing QB.”

- scene 

21 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Yawn 

Not you or me.  

It will be pretty clear this coming season if they made the right decision or a huge mistake.  Hope you did enjoy making the the playoffs last year after 17 years. 

• Like (+1) 1

I hope Daboll can have some success this season. It would be nice to see the offense start to formulate an identity to build on for the future. I really hope he's ruthless when it comes to scoring points. 

Anyway Daboll is the man now and I think it would be nice to at least be trending upwards from whatever the start of the season looks like. That's my measuring tool. Polish that turd!

Edited by Lfod

2 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

It will be pretty clear this coming season if they made the right decision or a huge mistake.  Hope you did enjoy making the the playoffs last year after 17 years. 

I actually recall him saying just after the berth that somebody was ruining it for him by calling the old qb a “playoff qb”