President Donald J. Trump's Supreme Court Associate Justice Kavanaugh

Dick Durbin: We must do everything we can to stop Trump's pick, even if it means we lose more Senate seats.

“For vulnerable Democrats running for re-election, Durbin’s message is that this is a you’ll-never-eat-lunch-in-this-town-again vote,” says Steven Law, president of the Senate Leadership Fund. “And that a vote to confirm the president’s nominee will be treated by party activists as an act of treason.”

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I thought this one was well done...

this-one.jpg

Are the two really that different?  For all the upset and drama with this pick, in the end it's just a guy who replaces another guy where the only difference will pry be more conservative on a few social issues (gay marriage, abortion, affirmative action), but will make similar decisions on big businesses, voting rights, the 2nd amendment, and campaign spending that conservatives are happy about.  Just making a big deal out of nothing.

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Are the two really that different?  For all the upset and drama with this pick, in the end it's just a guy who replaces another guy where the only difference will pry be more conservative on a few social issues (gay marriage, abortion, affirmative action), but will make similar decisions on big businesses, voting rights, the 2nd amendment, and campaign spending that conservatives are happy about.  Just making a big deal out of nothing.

I’d say they have a good shot at overturning Roe v Wade. Very very good shot. 

This is a big swing appointment. He’s more centrist than Gorsuch but not as much as Kennedy. Will be interesting to see how far to the liberal side he moves once appointed. Except Thomas, they all move that way a bit. 

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I'd like to see Campus Reform put together a video asking students what they think about Kavanaugh's opinions on some issues, but replace them with Kennedy's opinions, and see how many call them Raysis or Notsee

1 hour ago, BeginnersMind said:

This is a big swing appointment. He’s more centrist than Gorsuch but not as much as Kennedy. Will be interesting to see how far to the liberal side he moves once appointed. Except Thomas, they all move that way a bit. 

It's pry more likely they'll slowly allow states through a series of rulings to put more restrictions on abortions like they did in Casey vs. Planned Parenthood in the early 90's.

42 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

I'd like to see Campus Reform put together a video asking students what they think about Kavanaugh's opinions on some issues, but replace them with Kennedy's opinions, and see how many call them Raysis or Notsee

I'd like to see real campus reform and bar useless majors like liberal arts and sociology.

4 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

Except this has been established as precedent and Kavanaugh said he wont overturn it due to that fact. 

24 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Except this has been established as precedent and Kavanaugh said he wont overturn it due to that fact. 

it will be overturned over the next 6.5 years, it will go back to the states, where it should have always been

i have read that 22 will outlaw it

may we all live in peace

14 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Be careful Doc. Keep talking like this and you'll never get a set at the Red Hen.

Who would want to? I understand from a big-time source that it is dirty on the outside, so it must be dirty on the inside.

1 hour ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Actually what he has said is that, as a lower court judge, he had to follow Supreme Court precedent. 

Once he's on the Supreme Court itself, he's under no obligation to follow those decisions. 

3 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Actually what he has said is that, as a lower court judge, he had to follow Supreme Court precedent. 

Once he's on the Supreme Court itself, he's under no obligation to follow those decisions. 

Perhaps, but he also said it has been reaffirmed several times, implying that its pretty established as the law. This type of fear mongering of Roe v Wade has been going on for 30 years at least. I think its time to give it a rest

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Perhaps, but he also said it has been reaffirmed several times, implying that its pretty established as the law. This type of fear mongering of Roe v Wade has been going on for 30 years at least. I think its time to give it a rest

Can't do that while it's still useful to leftists.  If they can't rile up 20-somethings over their "right" to cut up and vacuum out a tiny human, how will they ever get out the midterm vote?

Aside anecdote: I was sitting in a small movie theater a few days after Kennedy retired and some boomers took three seats across the aisle from me.  They started talking about Kennedy's retirement and one old B word was harping on and on about how distressed she was that her daughters might have some difficulty procuring abortions in the future.

Bitching and moaning about your daughter losing the right to kill your grandchildren.  If that's not peak boomerism I don't know what is.