Beane's Counterbalance to Missing on Josh Allen: Great Trades, Drafting, and Free Agent Pickups.

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

I’m pretty sure that there are different severity concussions, but I’m not a medical professional.

None of us are medical professionals, and even medical professionals apparently find it hard to predict the long-term impact of concussions of different severity - sometimes a guy has a seemingly mild concussion yet the next concussion "Kolb"s him out.

My point is just I'm tired of hearing talk about one QB being "fragile" because of concussion history and surgically repaired shoulder, while another QB who had just as many or more concussions goes #1 in the draft and no one talks about it, and a third QB actually has a history of repeated shoulder injuries including a medical redshirt season and is regarded as big and sturdy.   Then there's Lamar Jackson, who apparently never missed a college game but everyone is all "with his build he's gonna be injured immediately".

Perception is not reality, no matter how hard people argue to make it so, that's all.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Yo changed your mind because Allen was drafted by the Bills.  It's what you do.  If Rosen was a Bill, I have no doubt that you'd be singing his praises with excitement. 

This is true.  My right as a fan.

That is does not mean that I am not being objective.....they could both end up being good QBs......I am simply debating with ppl that are crying that we selected Allen over Rosen and that Allen will end up being the wrong pick.

He may well end up NOT being the wrong pick for the reasons I have already stated.  You frankly should stop crying that the QB you wanted didnt get picked (or dont I dont care)

Just now, John from Riverside said:

This is true.  My right as a fan.

That is does not mean that I am not being objective.....they could both end up being good QBs......I am simply debating with ppl that are crying that we selected Allen over Rosen and that Allen will end up being the wrong pick.

He may well end up NOT being the wrong pick for the reasons I have already stated.  You frankly should stop crying that the QB you wanted didnt get picked (or dont I dont care)

Being objective about a prospect isn't crying.  Allen has great potential as I have stated on multiple occasions, but he has a lot to prove as the Bills and he will acknowledge.  There are no tears involved in stating that.  

Being objective about a prospect isn't crying.  Allen has great potential as I have stated on multiple occasions, but he has a lot to prove as the Bills and he will acknowledge.  There are no tears involved in stating that.  

Corner....you put out great posts (I read all of them) but the fact is you have already put out enough material upset that Allen was taken over Rosen.

Entitled to your opinion....but College is over...these guys are ALL drafted based on their potential at the next level including Rosen.

Rosen is more accurate.....but there are plenty of reasons why he could fail at the NFL level.....he does not come without his risks just like Josh Allen.  If this was the case he would not have slid in this draft.

They could very well both end up being good....I am a firm believer that there are going to be several good QBs coming out of this draft.

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Corner....you put out great posts (I read all of them) but the fact is you have already put out enough material upset that Allen was taken over Rosen.

Entitled to your opinion....but College is over...these guys are ALL drafted based on their potential at the next level including Rosen.

Rosen is more accurate.....but there are plenty of reasons why he could fail at the NFL level.....he does not come without his risks just like Josh Allen.  If this was the case he would not have slid in this draft.

They could very well both end up being good....I am a firm believer that there are going to be several good QBs coming out of this draft.

Tenth in the draft isn't exactly a slide, but it's no surprise that some NFL teams would avoid a personality like Rosen's given how much coaches in general aren't comfortable with being challenged. 

Tenth in the draft isn't exactly a slide, but it's no surprise that some NFL teams would avoid a personality like Rosen's given how much coaches in general aren't comfortable with being challenged. 

I dont think it is just personality......but probably is playing into it.

Accuracy is pretty important....I am a little suprised that he did slide.

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

None of us are medical professionals, and even medical professionals apparently find it hard to predict the long-term impact of concussions of different severity - sometimes a guy has a seemingly mild concussion yet the next concussion "Kolb"s him out.

My point is just I'm tired of hearing talk about one QB being "fragile" because of concussion history and surgically repaired shoulder, while another QB who had just as many or more concussions goes #1 in the draft and no one talks about it, and a third QB actually has a history of repeated shoulder injuries including a medical redshirt season and is regarded as big and sturdy.   Then there's Lamar Jackson, who apparently never missed a college game but everyone is all "with his build he's gonna be injured immediately".

Perception is not reality, no matter how hard people argue to make it so, that's all.

Mobility, pocket awareness, and a quick release are the keys for QBs to stay healthy. Otherwise, no matter how big and sturdy they are, they are apt to get hurt by bigger, sturdier players.

Edited by Sky Diver
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

The guy's been a GM only one year and his team went to the playoffs.  Yet we're discussing whether he should stay or go?

..LOL...obviously you forgot this is the home of the "One And Done Gang".......bet some wanted him canned AFTER the Allen pick and BEFORE the Edmund pick.....

....the "Steelers Revolving Door".....

1. Cobert-G since 2000......check....

2. Three HC's in 48 years.....check......

3. SIX Lombardis on the shelf.....check.....

..MY kind of "revolving door".............

5 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Funny that the majority of those guys who didn’t fit the “team first” mentality went to the playoffs and one won a SB.

This whole BS character culture is overblown.  It’s also funny that we just signed a bunch of guys who got popped for PEDs but I guess they fit the culture.

Majority?  Care to explain. 

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Only twice during the drought actually. 

I think it is fine to keep an open mind on how good McDermott and Beane are... but not liking the style of their wins is not a good argument for lumping them in with Jauron who never won more than 7 games in a season. 

Except it's not just McDermott's style of coaching -- playing not to lose -- that I find too much like Jauron ... I listed what I thought were similarities to Jauron in my post including McDermott's intolerance for players who don't fall into line with his ideas; his disregard for the offense, most especially the importance of the OL; and finally, McDermott's apparent belief that modestly talent players who buy into his "process" will triumph over more talented players who think for themselves. 

8 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Funny that the majority of those guys who didn’t fit the “team first” mentality went to the playoffs and one won a SB.

This whole BS character culture is overblown.  It’s also funny that we just signed a bunch of guys who got popped for PEDs but I guess they fit the culture.

I don't think the "character culture" is overblown.  I think what McDermott and Beane mean by "character" isn't what most fans consider "character".  I think McDermott and Beane define "character" as players being willing to support "the company line" without question.

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Hmmmm

2 of these QBs were drafted before we could pick at 7.   If you ask me the bills would have taken Sam Darnold if he was on the board...he wasnt.

but

Does that really matter?   This was the best QB draft to come along in some time.   if Josh Allen was in LAST year's draft he would have went even higher.

and

Our choices if we were going to select a QB now were Josh Allen or Josh Rosen (who I could care less about attitude he is in fact concussion prone and runs right into hits when in the pocket.

I think Beane deserves credit for taking the swing.....it is even sweeter because we didnt have to give up future draft capital to do it.

Why did the Bills have to take a QB in 2018 if they only had the choice of a supposedly "concussion prone" QB (your claim) or a QB that most draft pundits considered highly likely to bust?  Why should Beane "deserve credit" for doing the same self-serving thing that Doug Whaley did in 2013, putting economic considerations (ticket sales) ahead of winning?

Edited by SoTier

5 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..LOL...obviously you forgot this is the home of the "One And Done Gang".......bet some wanted him canned AFTER the Allen pick and BEFORE the Edmund pick.....

Who is advocating that Beane and/or McDermott be canned?  The OP started a thread based on simplistic homerism advocating that Beane be forgiven for his mistakes no matter how serious, and posters have responded negatively to that naive premise.  While you may be willing to unconditionally support Beane and McDermott just because they lucked out and made the playoffs, not all fans are willing to do that.  I am one of those.  I'm skeptical of the current regime because I see too many parallels to previous regimes, which suggests that the current team isn't likely to be any more successful than previous Bills teams.

I don't know, I'm kind of happy with a guy that's done a lot of really nice things and created $76 mil in cap room for 2019.  These guys are just starting to build what should be a dynamic roster in the next couple years.  In the meantime they've completely changed the attitude of the team.  

The roster looked putrid to me before last season - especially after the late changes.  Look how they played together.  

Can we please get off these guys cases?

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Who is advocating that Beane and/or McDermott be canned?  The OP started a thread based on simplistic homerism advocating that Beane be forgiven for his mistakes no matter how serious, and posters have responded negatively to that naive premise.  While you may be willing to unconditionally support Beane and McDermott just because they lucked out and made the playoffs, not all fans are willing to do that.  I am one of those.  I'm skeptical of the current regime because I see too many parallels to previous regimes, which suggests that the current team isn't likely to be any more successful than previous Bills teams.

What parallels? 

6 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Chuck Noll's first 3 seasons in Pittsburg.

1-13

5-9

6-8

Noll had no previous HC experience and came from the Baltimore Colts as a Defensive Back coach.

The win NOW mentality today would have thrown Noll in the "dustbin" of the NFL after those first 3 years.

I had posted the below a while back talking about "consistency" in GM and HC's.

In 2017 the Pittsburg Steelers had 25 drafted players on their team NOT counting the 2017 draftees.

The Buffalo Bills had 10.

FWIW

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Chuck Noll's first 3 seasons in Pittsburg.

1-13

5-9

6-8

Noll had no previous HC experience and came from the Baltimore Colts as a Defensive Back coach.

The win NOW mentality today would have thrown Noll in the "dustbin" of the NFL after those first 3 years.

I had posted the below a while back talking about "consistency" in GM and HC's.

In 2017 the Pittsburg Steelers had 25 drafted players on their team NOT counting the 2017 draftees.

The Buffalo Bills had 10.

FWIW

Was it the 4th year when the horse ‘roids kicked in?      ?

I agree, if they whiffed on Allen, it doesn’t mean they aren’t headed in the right direction and it’s crazy to start all over again just because they missed on the one player that’s the hardest to find. 

8 hours ago, SoTier said:

Except it's not just McDermott's style of coaching -- playing not to lose -- that I find too much like Jauron ... I listed what I thought were similarities to Jauron in my post including McDermott's intolerance for players who don't fall into line with his ideas; his disregard for the offense, most especially the importance of the OL; and finally, McDermott's apparent belief that modestly talent players who buy into his "process" will triumph over more talented players who think for themselves. 

Hmm. I think it is too early to draw some of those conclusions.  

8 hours ago, SoTier said:

...no where have I said that I UNCONDITIONALLY support McBeane and McD period...the duo just went through their FIRST draft together as well as putting their first year of OBD employment "in the books"......and we're ALREADY talking about how long a leash they collectively have?....SMH...........