Beane's Counterbalance to Missing on Josh Allen: Great Trades, Drafting, and Free Agent Pickups.

21 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Actually McDermott was responsible for 3/4s of the secondary.  Beane was only here for the addition of Gaines. 

I appreciate somebody actually pointing out that Beane wasn't here for the only positive pick ups of 2017. My problem is that people think Whaley had nothing to do with it, when his whole time here he found great pro personnel. His problem was drafting, but he could really dig out gems from other teams. 

On 7/2/2018 at 9:04 PM, The_Dude said:

He should be fired if Rosen is good and Allen is not. 

Sometimes - I wish fans could be fired.

On 7/2/2018 at 11:18 PM, Dadonkadonk said:

I loved the Allen pick.  But if he is a bust Beane will be gone after the 2019 season.  That is just the way it is.  

Actually, no it's not.

15 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I appreciate somebody actually pointing out that Beane wasn't here for the only positive pick ups of 2017. My problem is that people think Whaley had nothing to do with it, when his whole time here he found great pro personnel. His problem was drafting, but he could really dig out gems from other teams. 

...certainly agree with your Whaley assessment.....McBeane gives me the impression of being an assertive GM but working in tandem with McD and company......certainly not a control freak like Tom Terrific Donohole......Whaley gave me the impression of being handed the shopping list and told to go "find the players" versus being the bonafide "in charge guy".....just my observation and not a criticism....

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Augie said:

So, instead of just taking another swing at a QB (which is known to be hit or miss for all teams), you want the owners to take another swing at a new GM, who will want a new coach, who will have a new scheme, which will need a bunch of new players to fit the scheme, which will eat up every draft pick for the next 2-3 years.....to see how THAT turns out?  

Not much of a plan in my mind. How do I know? Because THAT’S WHAT WE HAVE BEEN DOING! 

This.

22 hours ago, SoTier said:

How do we know this?  Because the Bills got lucky last year and made the playoffs?    They've been 9-7 numerous times before.  They failed to be competive against the Patriots, losing the first game 23-3 and the second one 37-16.  In case you don't remember, that's 1 TD in 8 quarters.  They also got stomped by the offensive powerhouse Saints and the defensive powerhouse Chargers.  They caught Atlanta napping early in the season and Indy shocked by a damned blizzard late.  They smacked QB-less Miami twice.  Then they got an absolute gift from the Bengals in the closing seconds of the final game.   I'll be impressed when I see fewer games that remind me of 2006-2009.

...of course we do NOT know this......but I sure as hell feel better about the prognosis with this gang in charge versus the "F Troop" running the show post Polian....and I'm sure Pegula will keenly evaluate performance/progress of McBeane & McD over the term of their contracts......you don't spend $1.4 billion on a club to offer free rides or meals......they'll be held accountable IMO...

19 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Sammy - highest scoring team in the nfl, signed by one of the best offensive coaches, in the playoffs. Our wrs sucked last year.

Dareus - helped turn the Jags rub defense around and ours sucked and trade. Nearly went to SB.

Darby - starter on Sb team

ragland - starter on playoff team

abd this doesn’t count Bradham, Woods, & Robey other key players on playoff teams.

And yet - we made the playoffs without these guys. 

This team finally has a plan. Give it a shot.

19 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

LOL and your expecting him to say what?  We have bills players saying the same thing about Allen.

Come on your better then this.

No he's not.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Chuck Noll's first 3 seasons in Pittsburg.

1-13

5-9

6-8

Noll had no previous HC experience and came from the Baltimore Colts as a Defensive Back coach.

The win NOW mentality today would have thrown Noll in the "dustbin" of the NFL after those first 3 years.

I had posted the below a while back talking about "consistency" in GM and HC's.

In 2017 the Pittsburg Steelers had 25 drafted players on their team NOT counting the 2017 draftees.

The Buffalo Bills had 10.

FWIW

....good stuff bud.....another Steelers tidbit.......19 of the 22 STARTERS on their '09 Super Bowl club were acquired through the draft..

15 hours ago, FearLess Price said:

Darby and the Nigel Bradham, throw in an unrelated Jim Schwartz for added speculation. 

Bradham was gone before the new front office was in place.  As was Schwartz.  Darby was traded but didn't play until week 11 after he broke his ankle in week 1.

22 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Funny that the majority of those guys who didn’t fit the “team first” mentality went to the playoffs and one won a SB.

This whole BS character culture is overblown.  It’s also funny that we just signed a bunch of guys who got popped for PEDs but I guess they fit the culture.

John Kryk: (Beane) said that Colin Kaepernick would be a distraction

John Kryk on his conversation with Bills GM Brandon Beane:

"I asked Brandon Beane: 'What's a Buffalo Bills Player?' That's when he went into that they research every person that they draft and they don't want anybody who's gonna be a distraction, and that's when he said that Colin Kaepernick would be a distraction."

I think distraction players and underperformers are the types of players they'd prefer to keep distance from. So I think they have a legitimate vision of the culture they're trying to put in place that they stand on.

I don't think you necessarily have to be a saint, but if a player continually displays character detrimental to the team and what they're attempting to institute, I think that's when a player will find himself on the short end of the stick.

Likely the one of the deciding factors in choosing Josh Allen over Josh Rosen as I stated at the beginning of the thread.  

11 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

John Kryk: (Beane) said that Colin Kaepernick would be a distraction

John Kryk on his conversation with Bills GM Brandon Beane:

"I asked Brandon Beane: 'What's a Buffalo Bills Player?' That's when he went into that they research every person that they draft and they don't want anybody who's gonna be a distraction, and that's when he said that Colin Kaepernick would be a distraction."

I think distraction players and underperformers are the types of players they'd prefer to keep distance from. So I think they have a legitimate vision of the culture they're trying to put in place that they stand on.

I don't think you necessarily have to be a saint, but if a player continually displays character detrimental to the team and what they're attempting to institute, I think that's when a player will find himself on the short end of the stick.

Likely the one of the deciding factors in choosing Josh Allen over Josh Rosen as I stated at the beginning of the thread.  

Always smart to take lesser talent.  Josh Allen wasn’t good enough for All MWC but he seems like a swell guy.

and do PED suspensions not count for character? ? 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

The guy's been a GM only one year and his team went to the playoffs.  Yet we're discussing whether he should stay or go?

Exactly.

No GM bats 1.000 with their draft picks.  No GM bats 0.000.  One pick doesn't define the GM - rather it's their entire body of work.  Beane's only been here a year and his body of work is just too small to evaluate.  

I'm really hoping Allen works out but if he doesn't that doesn't mean Beane is a bad GM.  How he handles that failure, though (assuming Allen doesn't develop into a good starter) would tell us a lot about Beane.

Beane joined a team that hasn't had a franchise QB since Kelly retired.  He took a year assessing Tyrod - mostly because he didn't have much of a choice - and decided he couldn't build a championship offense around TT.  So he signed a veteran backup with some promise and drafted a kid with a lot of upside.  In other words, he's doing the kind of things a good GM ought to do. 

41 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Always smart to take lesser talent.  Josh Allen wasn’t good enough for All MWC but he seems like a swell guy.

and do PED suspensions not count for character? ? 

Are you suggesting the Bills future would be brighter with CK on the team?

Thing is... I believe Beane missed on a whole lot more than Allen...  I think there's a chance he missed on as many as three players in the '18 draft.

If that's the case, then he should be fired... A GM simply needs to have better instincts than that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, #34fan said:

Thing is... I believe Beane missed on a whole lot more than Allen...  I think there's a chance he missed on as many as three players in the '18 draft.

If that's the case, then he should be fired... A GM simply needs to have better instincts than that.

...the excessive heat wave is not healthy for one's thought process....hydrate frequently for safety...SMH.............

On 7/2/2018 at 4:27 PM, BurpleBull said:

Which leads me to disagree with this notion, that Brandon Beane would be run out of town, should Josh Allen fail to materialize into what he, Sean McDermott, and Brian Daboll envision him becoming.

I think the only reason to run off GM Beane should be losing too much.

If Allen turns into a Josh Harrington type bust,  it we still win he should stay.

If we start a new drought and get to to say year 3, pack your trash wether Allen is bad or not.

3 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

Are you suggesting the Bills future would be brighter with CK on the team?

I was talking about Rosen.  But do I think CK is better than AJ and Peterman? Without a doubt.  

And while I hope I’m wrong, odds are Josh Allen is almost going to win a SB either.

4 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Exactly.

No GM bats 1.000 with their draft picks.  No GM bats 0.000.  One pick doesn't define the GM - rather it's their entire body of work.  Beane's only been here a year and his body of work is just too small to evaluate.  

I'm really hoping Allen works out but if he doesn't that doesn't mean Beane is a bad GM.  How he handles that failure, though (assuming Allen doesn't develop into a good starter) would tell us a lot about Beane.

Beane joined a team that hasn't had a franchise QB since Kelly retired.  He took a year assessing Tyrod - mostly because he didn't have much of a choice - and decided he couldn't build a championship offense around TT.  So he signed a veteran backup with some promise and drafted a kid with a lot of upside.  In other words, he's doing the kind of things a good GM ought to do. 

No one rational is saying he should be fired right now.  But the credit they are getting is overblown.  They inherited a team that went 9-7, 8-8, and 7-9 and they act like they were 1-15.  Our biggest weaknesses last year we’re at positions they traded.  

Trust me, and it’s pretty much this simple, if they hit on Allen, I will build a statue for them because they are geniuses.  But man, there is a lot of evidence that it is an extremely risky pick,

• Like (+1) 1