Prediction: Nathan Peterman Bills Starting QB Wk. 1 vs. Ravens

9 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

Joe Buscaglia

Peterman outplays McCarron once again
"For the majority of the practice, A.J. McCarron took the first-team reps with the offense as it was his turn during their spring-long rotation, but as the veteran quarterbacks on the team go, Nathan Peterman outperformed McCarron just as he did on Tuesday as well. McCarron had several passes batted down at the line of scrimmage and was having some trouble connecting with his receiver. He salvaged the day with a pair of big plays, one to Andre Holmes in the end zone in a jump ball situation, and another in a one-minute drill to end practice where he just lofted up a pass as time expired and Rod Streater miraculously came down with it in the back of the end zone. On the other hand, Peterman was solid in both his reads and his accuracy all day long. He gunned in a touchdown to Austin Proehl in the back of the end zone, and had a pretty pass that he dropped into a bucket on a deep pass to Robert Foster. Those that don't think Peterman has a legitimate chance to win the job to start the season are sorely mistaken. Now, this is only the spring, and training camp often brings us a bit of a different story as the battles play out, but of the five practices the media has been able to watch, Peterman has been the top guy between the two".

It's the first bolded piece of text that I think is really being overlooked ...and by choice in a lot of cases in here.

I'd just like to point out that the way Joe B sees it, and the way the people who know what the playcall really was see it may be different.

As you quote, Joe B says "in a one-minute drill to end practice where he just lofted up a pass as time expired and Rod Streater miraculously came down with it in the back of the end zone"

Here is the description of the same play from OBD " That was one of our plays and it kind of caught the defense off guard,” said Streater. “I ran to one side and then cut over and AJ put the ball on the money. It was a great throw and made it easy for me to come down with it.”

So...the reporter, who doesn't know the play etc says McCarron "just lofted up a pass" and Streater made a miracle catch.

Streater, who presumably knows, describes it as "one of our plays and it kind of caught the defense off guard" and says "AJ put the ball on the money and made (the catch) easy for me"

I think McDermott and Daboll are pragmatic enough that Peterman wouldn't be splitting reps with the 1's if they didn't think he had a legit chance to compete with McCarron.

I also think anyone who gets all crowy about how one guy allegedly "outplays" in a reporter's opinion of 11-on-11 drills in shorts in June, is also kidding himself.

The league and the leagues' cutoff bin is full of OTA warriors who disappear in training camp, and training camp warriors who shrivel up in the regular season (see Edwards, Trent).

4 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

So is this how you moderators get down here on TwoBillsDrive?

Start up accounts under different usernames that touch on a similar topic so that you can then merge them under a different thread title?

Was taking the 'Prediction' aspect out my original thread title and replacing it with a title that suggests the thread creator is impulsive and unthinking that important?

Peterman gaining too much traction in the off-season?

It's good to go out on a limb and make a prediction, but when it gets too real you guys collude with one another and take it upon yourselves to reinvent threads?

Have never experienced this myself or heard of such a thing happening to another on any sports forum that I've ever been on until now.

Interesting.

Write your Congressman...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, transient said:

I can overlook the LA game. The lack of velocity on that pick, however, is galling. I’m pretty sure that pass couldn’t even have caught up with Pete Metzelaars on a dead run releasing into the flat unless he took a good chuck at the LOS. 

He had no business touching the field last year , unless in garbage time.

It was UGLY.

He'd need to take some gigantic steps to be a competent QB. 

The limited reports we've been getting suggest that Peterman has outplayed McCarron in the last few days at least.  However, McCarron is the more recent acquisition and has a bigger contract than Peterman, who is on a fifth rounder's rookie deal.  Not that those things should matter, but they often do.  McCarron has also started more games than Peterman, whose only start was a disaster.  I'm not saying that Peterman can't beat out McCarron, but because McCarron has probably been seen as a safer pick to start, Peterman will have to make it abundantly clear that he is the superior QB to McCarron.  I'm not completely ruling out Allen as a starter in September, but because the plan has been to bring Allen along slowly, I think he will continue to have to wow the coaches, and play close to perfect football in training camp and the preseason to get McDermott to alter the plan to bring him along slowly.

So, at this point, I think the odds are about 60/40 McCarron starts.  Peterman has about a 30% chance to start and Allen brings up the rear at 10%.

10 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

The limited reports we've been getting suggest that Peterman has outplayed McCarron in the last few days at least.  However, McCarron is the more recent acquisition and has a bigger contract than Peterman, who is on a fifth rounder's rookie deal.  Not that those things should matter, but they often do.  McCarron has also started more games than Peterman, whose only start was a disaster.  I'm not saying that Peterman can't beat out McCarron, but because McCarron has probably been seen as a safer pick to start, Peterman will have to make it abundantly clear that he is the superior QB to McCarron.  I'm not completely ruling out Allen as a starter in September, but because the plan has been to bring Allen along slowly, I think he will continue to have to wow the coaches, and play close to perfect football in training camp and the preseason to get McDermott to alter the plan to bring him along slowly.

So, at this point, I think the odds are about 60/40 McCarron starts.  Peterman has about a 30% chance to start and Allen brings up the rear at 10%.

The fact Peterman is getting reps tells me that it isn't out of the realm of possibility. It might just be that Peterman was thrown in a little to soon on a poor performing offence and had a bad game. He could also just be bad and always be bad. 

I just think if he was that terrible he wouldn't be seeing any reps. Just my opinion though. I think he is in the mix but just how much of a shot he has I can't speculate on right now.

I think they saw something in Peterman we didn't get to see. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Lfod said:

The fact Peterman is getting reps tells me that it isn't out of the realm of possibility. It might just be that Peterman was thrown in a little to soon on a poor performing offence and had a bad game. He could also just be bad and always be bad. 

I just think if he was that terrible he wouldn't be seeing any reps. Just my opinion though. I think he is in the mix but just how much of a shot he has I can't speculate on right now.

I think they saw something in Peterman we didn't get to see. 

Absolutely agree.  I think the coaching staff was disappointed in Peterman's performance in the Chargers game last year, but they didn't write him off as a possible starter.  When the decision was made to part with Tyrod, I think circumstances were set in motion that are a little bigger than Peterman's own ability, however.

The disastrous performance versus the Chargers meant that Beane could not stand pat and just count on Peterman succeeding Tyrod.  He had to plan either to obtain a clear veteran starter (which ultimately proved too expensive) or set up a competiton with multiple viable possibilities.  That's what he did by signing McCarron and drafting Allen.  The percentages I suggested are not much more than my guesses, but  because he has started multiple games, McCarron is going to be seen as a safer pick, and Allen, because he was the 7th overall draft pick automatically is awarded the mantle of "QB of the future."  It may not be this year, but you have to believe the Bills are going to do everything in their power to help Josh Allen develop not only into a starter, but into a franchise QB in order to prove to fans and the league that they were right to make the trade and pick him where they did.  If Allen is not the starter in 2020. if not 2019, lots of people around the league are going to question if Beane made a huge mistake, and that is the last thing Beane wants to happen.

It will be an open competition between Nate and AJ.  Allen will sit and learn.

Nate has the lead now due to experience with the terminology and playbook.  

If Nate has put in the time to understand defenses better and work on his mechanics he has an outside chance to unseat AJ as the starter (assuming AJ struggles to pick up a new playbook).

Allen will not see the field in the regular season until week 8 at the earliest.

Upside...we might have 3 starting capable QB's on the roster making at least 1 of them trade worthy which would bring future high draft picks.

Edited by bdutton

28 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Peterman second start was much better considering the adverse conditions until he got knocked out.

28 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I,ll agree on the 60/40 thing. I think the final decision will be made in the locker room. I think players opinions weigh heavily on who they feel they can win with.

1 hour ago, BurpleBull said:

So is this how you moderators get down here on TwoBillsDrive?

Start up accounts under different usernames that touch on a similar topic so that you can then merge them under a different thread title?

:ph34r:

Now I'd just like to point out that in discussing non-football topics like forum policy and your "conspiracy theory" of how mods work, you didn't happen to address any of my substantive football points. 

Since surely that was an unintentional oversight, here you go again: 

[my previous post]

You quote Joe B: "in a one-minute drill to end practice where he just lofted up a pass as time expired and Rod Streater miraculously came down with it in the back of the end zone"

description of the same play from OBD " That was one of our plays and it kind of caught the defense off guard,” said Streater. “I ran to one side and then cut over and AJ put the ball on the money. It was a great throw and made it easy for me to come down with it.”

The reporter, who doesn't know the play, says McCarron "just lofted up a pass" and Streater made a miracle catch.

Streater, who presumably knows, describes it as "one of our plays" and says "AJ put the ball on the money and made (the catch) easy for me"

Anyone who thinks McDermott and Daboll would be having Peterman split reps if he didn't have a legit shot is kidding themselves, sure.  Anyone who gets all crowy about how one guy allegedly "outplays" in a reporter's opinion of 11-on-11 drills in shorts in June, is also kidding themself.

The league and the leagues' cutoff bin is full of OTA warriors who disappear in training camp, and training camp warriors who shrivel up in the regular season (see Edwards, Trent).

PS Interesting that your theory of how mods work involves creating different accounts under different usernames. (that's not necessary.  we have tools.)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

@PetermanThrew5Picks

What were we talking about last night?  

we did discuss the process IIRC

We have a rule that we don't fact check on the show, but accidentally took a look at his Chargers highlight real. That KB pass was 20 yards so we were glass half full glass half empty debating.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

14 minutes ago, bdutton said:

It will be an open competition between Nate and AJ.  Allen will sit and learn.  Nate has the lead now due to experience with the terminology and playbook.  

If Nate has put in the time to understand defenses better and work on his mechanics he has an outside chance to unseat AJ as the starter (assuming AJ struggles to pick up a new playbook).

You bring up an interesting point.  Supposedly, one of the things coaches liked last year about Peterman was that he was a "quick study" who could learn and recall plays accurately.

A couple times in OTA media access, I thought McCarron had a bit of a "deer in the headlights" glazy look to him.  He's coming off what, 4 seasons with the same system? and he may not be as "quick" of a study.  That could be factoring in there (though from the some stuff he said, it sounds as though McCarron is working double overtime to master it)

10 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

I,ll agree on the 60/40 thing. I think the final decision will be made in the locker room. I think players opinions weigh heavily on who they feel they can win with.

I most sincerely hope you are mistaken about that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Sorry, I completely forgot that Peterman started the Indianpolis "Snow Game" due to Tyrod's concussion.  Yes, considering the nightmarish conditions for a QB, his performance in that game was respectable.

Peterman needs to learn to live to fight another day. Diving head first showed some real bravery. Peterman never played timid. 4 interceptions in he still let it fly. Snow game dives for extra yards. You can't knock his bravery or willingness to sacrifice himself that's for sure. 

Edited by Lfod

20 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Sorry, I completely forgot that Peterman started the Indianpolis "Snow Game" due to Tyrod's concussion.  Yes, considering the nightmarish conditions for a QB, his performance in that game was respectable.

That snow game was AWESOME! Maybe not beautiful football but a highlight for me. It brought back warm memories. As someone pointed out, conditions slowed the game down. That may have helped Peterman....but he DID look good in those conditions. 

Edited by Augie

On 6/12/2018 at 10:59 AM, BuffaloHokie13 said:

How are you logically getting from 2 TDs and 6 INTs in ~5 Quarters to 15 TDs and 4 INTs in 10 games? He isn't going to go from a 1:3 TD/INT to a ratio over 3:1 in an offseason. Also, we aren't going to go 10-0 with a QB putting up 1.5 TDs per game.

We're going to have a stingy opportunistic D. O isn't going to need to score that many points. Protect  the football. Kick FGs. That's the process.  No matter who is under center this year. 

3 hours ago, TigerJ said:

I think Allen will be the starter week one. It will be hard to keep him off the field when he plays great in training camp.

On 6/13/2018 at 7:40 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

How big a disaster would it be if Peterman turned out to be really good?

I'd have to change my screen name.. but yeah that's the only con I guess if Peterman turns out to be really really good

• Haha (+1) 1