Kelvin Benjamin looking good ... where does he rank among AFCE WRs?

Best WR in AFC East  

231 members have voted

1. 1. Who is best WR in AFC East?

• Kelvin Benjamin, Bills
    • Julian Edelman, Pats
    • Danny Amendola, Fish
    • Terrell Pryor, Jets
    • Robby Anderson, Jets
    • Jermaine Kearse, Jets
    • Chris Hogan, Pats
    • Kenny Stills, Fish
    • Other

On 6/14/2018 at 9:24 PM, Dadonkadonk said:

Pryor looked quite good with Cleveland.  Fell off the rails last year.  I would have tried to get him on a one year deal.  

KB looks like the best in AFCE.  Still think Watkins is a better WR and they should have just kept him.  But KB should be good this year.  If Zay can catch the dam ball the WR position may be adequate.

Kirk didn't gel with him. McCown (who is on his team again) loves tossing it up to Alshon and guys like Pryor. Works alright, works even better if you make the other throws too.

Tyrod, Kirk, Russel Wilson, don't like the jump balls. Obviously some of those 3 QBs are better at the other throws than other.

On 6/15/2018 at 2:33 AM, BigDingus said:

Battles are won & loss in the trenches, and our offensive trenches have gotten worse by a large margin.

After that, not having any experience at the QB position could end up really killing us. Least experienced group in the league.

This offense could be historically awful. Defense will keep us in games like last season, but the offense is gonna be a rough thing to watch if this line can't play well above themselves. 10 wins in a division where we start 0-2 by default via the Pats (99% of the time), means we'd have to go 10-4 otherwise. Really think that's gonna happen with 1 decent WR and all the other offensive issues we have?

After watching Taylor for 3 seasons what we have right now is a huge upgrade. My only concern with this team is the O-Line and Pass Rush.

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....agree Augie..BUT.....those "Reilly footsteps" may loom large in the background......uh oh......

Just a little more motivation. You don’t get the BIG buck$ if you don’t dominate the YOUNG bucks. 

On July 27, 2018 at 12:37 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Still looking good in camp 

Is it me, or does KB seem to have an odd gait? I'm just looking at the stability of his knees in this clip, and wondering how well they'll endure moving his 250lbs at full speed. If you watch the slo-mo of his initial cut to his right, for example, you might notice a slight inward bend- almost a wobble. Or, am I being paranoid?

I write this as someone who has had three knee surgeries resulting from multiple sports injuries.

The list of receivers in the AFL East is underwhelming to say the most.  If you go by past results, Kelvin Benjamin is nothing special.  I think the Bills signed him because they believe he still has some unrealized potential and they can create the situation with the right QB where he can realize more of his potential than he has thus far.  

3 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

giphy.gif

I expressed an opinion in my post, but I guess Trump pointing a finger warrants a response.  In Kelvin Benjamin's rookie season, his best season, he had 1008 yards on 73 receptions.  He was targeted 145 times.  That equals out to approximately 1 catch for every 2 targets or 50%.  Where did that rank him?  He ranked 20th in the league in yardage for WRs.   He was 14th in the number of receiving touchdowns.  He ranked 19th in number of receptions.  

Benjamin was out all of 2015 with an injury.  In 2016, Benjamin's 941 yards ranked him 26th in receiving yards.  He was targeted 117 times and had 63 receptions.  That reception to target ration is well down the list among receivers for both years.  With 7 receiving touchdowns, he actually ranked a little higher in that category than two years previously, tied for eleventh with about 4 other receivers.  Last year with the Bills, of course, he was well down the stat sheet for receivers, but then he was fighting through an injury and had Tyrod throwing the ball to him. 

There is no particular criteria for declaring a receiver is something special, but from my perspective, he's got to be somewhere in the top 10 to get that label from me.  Kelvin Benjamin hasn't been there.  That doesn't mean I dislike him.  If the Bills think he has some untapped potential, they are in agreement with me.  I like him, and I think he could be a difference maker for the Bills, but he clearly has not been thus far in his NFL career.  And what Mr. Trump needs to learn is that when he's busy pointing a finger at someone, he's got three of his own fingers pointing back at him. 

Edited by TigerJ
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/14/2018 at 9:18 PM, Stank_Nasty said:

Production alone says Edelman. But it’s hard to not account for the Brady factor there. 

My vote goes to a healthy and motivated KB. 

Edelman is extremely good at getting open. A smaller Fitzgerald. I certainly think he earns his production. 

But he is the WORST. I hate him so much I hope Tremaine Edmunds gives him a season ending injury first game lol.

I'd take him over KB. Honestly don't know how KB would even work out if he played with Brady. Feels like he'd just be a little bit better, more productive Hogan type in that offense.

19 hours ago, TigerJ said:

I expressed an opinion in my post, but I guess Trump pointing a finger warrants a response.  In Kelvin Benjamin's rookie season, his best season, he had 1008 yards on 73 receptions.  He was targeted 145 times.  That equals out to approximately 1 catch for every 2 targets or 50%.  Where did that rank him?  He ranked 20th in the league in yardage for WRs.   He was 14th in the number of receiving touchdowns.  He ranked 19th in number of receptions.  

Benjamin was out all of 2015 with an injury.  In 2016, Benjamin's 941 yards ranked him 26th in receiving yards.  He was targeted 117 times and had 63 receptions.  That reception to target ration is well down the list among receivers for both years.  With 7 receiving touchdowns, he actually ranked a little higher in that category than two years previously, tied for eleventh with about 4 other receivers.  Last year with the Bills, of course, he was well down the stat sheet for receivers, but then he was fighting through an injury and had Tyrod throwing the ball to him. 

There is no particular criteria for declaring a receiver is something special, but from my perspective, he's got to be somewhere in the top 10 to get that label from me.  Kelvin Benjamin hasn't been there.  That doesn't mean I dislike him.  If the Bills think he has some untapped potential, they are in agreement with me.  I like him, and I think he could be a difference maker for the Bills, but he clearly has not been thus far in his NFL career.  And what Mr. Trump needs to learn is that when he's busy pointing a finger at someone, he's got three of his own fingers pointing back at him. 

So in other words you manipulated the stats for your narrative

- Number 1 receivers are targeted a lot

- 1000 yards is excellent

- 941 yards is not bad

See how I did that?  I can manipulate stats too

32 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

- 941 yards is not bad

In today's NFL 1,000 yards is expected from a #1 WR. I certainly wouldn't call it "excellent" when 25 guys a year get over 1k receiving yards. 

I'm not saying he's bad, but I think the best you can say about him is that he's a low end WR1. 

35 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

- 941 yards is not bad

We can bandy stats and semantics back and forth, I suppose.  I am happy to recognize and accept that you have a particular opinion.  I expressed mine and I'm content with it.  I'm fine with Kelvin being a receiver for the Bills.  I want to see a higher percentage of his targets turn into receptions, and I'd like to see him get over 1,000 yards again.  I'll leave it at that

21 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

In today's NFL 1,000 yards is expected from a #1 WR. I certainly wouldn't call it "excellent" when 25 guys a year get over 1k receiving yards. 

I'm not saying he's bad, but I think the best you can say about him is that he's a low end WR1. 

This is exactly where I view him....

Im hoping that we draft a guy next year to pair with him that has legit number 1 talent......and then let KB and that player rock it

On 7/29/2018 at 11:08 AM, Rocky Landing said:

Is it me, or does KB seem to have an odd gait? I'm just looking at the stability of his knees in this clip, and wondering how well they'll endure moving his 250lbs at full speed. If you watch the slo-mo of his initial cut to his right, for example, you might notice a slight inward bend- almost a wobble. Or, am I being paranoid?

I write this as someone who has had three knee surgeries resulting from multiple sports injuries.

I feel the same.  I really hope we don’t extend him past this season.  I think he’ll

be Banged up his entire career. Sad, because he can be a difference maker.

28 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I feel the same.  I really hope we don’t extend him past this season.  I think he’ll

be Banged up his entire career. Sad, because he can be a difference maker.

Lets let him prove he cannot stay healthy for us before we go there please.....

I think if there was another guy that forced situations where KB isnt gonna have 2 guys draped all over him he might actually be something for us

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 5:40 AM, GunnerBill said:

So Robby Anderson's best season (2017) and Kelvin Benjamin's best season since his major injury (2016) are exactly the same:

63 catches, 14.9 avg, 941 yards, 7 TDs.

I think Anderson is the best he is still on the upswing and progressing whereas I fear Benjamin and also Edelman (who has been a stud) are actually on the downslope for different reasons.  Benjamin's separation numbers last year both in Carolina and Buffalo were awful they were among the worst in the whole NFL.  

I think Anderson is the only name on that list with a chance to play at an elite level in 2018.  I hope Benjamin can get somewhere close to those 2016 numbers because if he does I will consider that a win for Buffalo.  

I don't consider Benjamin a number #1 receiver. He can be a good number #2 receiver. My concern with him is that from college to the pros he was never known to be a worker. This year he is playing for a contract and should be motivated. What happens if he earns a big boy contract based on this season? Does he then fall into the Dareus syndrome of comfort andlassitude after he has secured a golden contract? 

27 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I don't consider Benjamin a number #1 receiver. He can be a good number #2 receiver. My concern with him is that from college to the pros he was never known to be a worker. This year he is playing for a contract and should be motivated. What happens if he earns a big boy contract based on this season? Does he then fall into the Dareus syndrome of comfort andlassitude after he has secured a golden contract? 

Agree. I like the fact he is playing as a big slot some in camp though. I could see him really excelling in that role.