RIP Al Meltzer - Play by play guy for Bills

6 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

5-4-3-2-1-TOUCHDOWN!!

When I first glanced at your title, I thought it read "Pete Metzellars" and my heart sank.  Al Meltzer is before my time so I don't have a connection to him.

I grew up watching Pete and met him when the Bills were in the Super Bowl against the Cowboys round 2.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Al was the voice of the Bills for that brief period when the Bills left WBEN for WKBW in the 70s.

Wasn't Rick Azar the main PBP guy at that time or was it Meltzer?  Ed Rutkowski was in the booth with them too.

Rick was in the booth, but Al did all the game calls. That's his voice on the iconic OJ getting 2,000 yards you always see from NFL Films. He was good at what he did and I enjoyed listening to him.

Edited by GRHater69
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

Wasn't Rick Azar the main PBP guy at that time or was it Meltzer?  Ed Rutkowski was in the booth with them too.

They actually sounded very much alike. But it was Meltzer. He had a great play by play voice.

• Like (+1) 2

When we moved to Syracuse when I was 6, the Bills games were never on TV.  I remember listening to Meltzer, Azar and Rutkowski on my GE Clock Radio with my ear jammed against the speaker so that I could just barely make out their voices through the static. 

RIP Al and thanks.

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

RIP, Al. Thanks for the Memories! 

“ I just wonder if the us 3 truly realize what it has been our Great privilege -to watch OJ Simpson run for TWO THOUSAND YARDS in one season?!”

I think Azar said that.

• Like (+1) 1

I grew up listening to Al Meltzer, and had never heard of Van Miller outside It's Academic.  Meltzer was a solid play-by-play announcer.  As posted upthread, his signoff always gave me chills.  "SEE YOU.....at the game".  See you, Al.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

Interesting that he was a Philly sportscaster who would commute for the Bills games.

It's like if Joe Buscaglia were the voice of the St. Louis Blues.

I guess it really was "SEE YOU...at the game!", because you weren't going to see him around town.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts