World Cup 2018 Thread

1 hour ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Netherlands didnt make it either 

Didn't know that. Didn't they win it not long ago? Or at least come close?

Edited by Dante

20 hours ago, row_33 said:

Iceland does again

threy were unfortunate not to connect on two other chances

hustle back on D, counterattack, no egos or divas

Iceland sucked i thought..they were the Sabres circa 94-2001..fall back and defend like its the Alamo..hope you get a break. At one point in the 2nd half announcers said Argentina had completed 564 passes and Iceland like 82. 

I will always root for the underdog, and will root for them..but can't see how they can winmany games playing that style.

As an aside, I know nothing about soccer!

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

Iceland sucked i thought..they were the Sabres circa 94-2001..fall back and defend like its the Alamo..hope you get a break. At one point in the 2nd half announcers said Argentina had completed 564 passes and Iceland like 82. 

I will always root for the underdog, and will root for them..but can't see how they can winmany games playing that style.

I can't, either. They're not particularly talented, but if they can stay organized and coordinated, then they have a puncher's chance.

On 6/16/2018 at 11:50 AM, Dante said:

Didn't know that. Didn't they win it not long ago? Or at least come close?

They made the finals in 2010.  

They're kind of going through the same thing as Italy, at the tail end of a solid generation of players who put together some good runs.  Both are moving into a period of uncertainty i.e. no real big stars and talent on the horizon.  

Suisse goalie earning his check the last 10 minutes.

There's been a bunch of great games so far. I've only started watching soccer a few years back, but It's really growing on me. The lack of commercial time outs and lack of political bull **** is a big plus for me. 

5 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Credit to a very deserving Mexico for putting in one of the most courageous performances I’ve ever seen against a heavily favored squad. Germany just looked totally out of ideas. Might be a sad ending for their golden generation. 

Great thing about Germany is one golden generation lead into another golden generation. Props to Mexico, but I'd still bet my last $5 on them.  

21 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Lol.  Soccer.  In what kind of sport can a world powerhouse team like Argentina get tied by a nation with a population of 68?  Half the damn country is on the roster.

Edit: Double Lol at USA soccer.  At 68, Iceland's population is far less the the least populous US State and their team is better than ours.  Remind me again how soccer is taking over.

Edited by 4merper4mer

7 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Lol.  Soccer.  In what kind of sport can a world powerhouse team like Argentina get tied by a nation with a population of 68?  Half the damn country is on the roster.

Edit: Double Lol at USA soccer.  At 68, Iceland's population is far less the the least populous US State and their team is better than ours.  Remind me again how soccer is taking over.

Argentina isn't a world powerhouse team, it's an all-time great in his declining years and a handful of good players

Soccer has been the next big thing in North America since 1973 or so, at least I've heard this every year, it's a great game for kids to play, we will never take it seriously though

Exhibit A:   A young man is told that he isn't good enough to play for the Canadian under-17 team, he then signs with Bayern Munich and sets off on a 10 year fine career there and with Man United and dozens of games for England, Owen Hargreaves.

I've heard tales of how soccer will overtake the US professional sports (baseball, football, basketball) for close to two decades.  I think it's funny how the "hipster" thing to do now is have a favorite Euro club team you follow.

That said, I enjoy soccer, loved playing it, and I enjoy the World Cup.  You won't catch me tuning into any Premier League games, though.

18 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Argentina isn't a world powerhouse team, it's an all-time great in his declining years and a handful of good players

Soccer has been the next big thing in North America since 1973 or so, at least I've heard this every year, it's a great game for kids to play, we will never take it seriously though

Exhibit A:   A young man is told that he isn't good enough to play for the Canadian under-17 team, he then signs with Bayern Munich and sets off on a 10 year fine career there and with Man United and dozens of games for England, Owen Hargreaves.

Lol I hate soccer but even I could recognize the Argentina jersey in a heartbeat.  It is actually pretty cool looking.  The Canadiens had a bad year but they would have put a beat down on the national team fromLuxemborg.  And Argentina got tied by Iceland, whose population is less than that of Wyoming.  That should not happen in any real team sport.

How many high school teams could take the St. Louis Cardinals to extra innings even in an exhibition, much less the World Series?  Soccer is a joke and should have disappeared long ago when superior back and forth sports like hockey, hoop, and lacrosse came along.

Edited by 4merper4mer

15 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Lol I hate soccer but even I could recognize the Argentina jersey in a heartbeat.  It is actually pretty cool looking.  The Canadiens had a bad year but they would have put a beat down on the national team fromLuxemborg.  And Argentina got tied by Iceland, whose population is less than that of Wyoming.  That should not happen in any real team sport.

How many high school teams could take the St. Louis Cardinals to extra innings even in an exhibition, much less the World Series?  Soccer is a joke and should have disappeared long ago when superior back and forth sports like hockey, hoop, and lacrosse came along.

so you can recognize the jersey so that means they are going to win it all?

wow.....  :(

Just now, row_33 said:

so you can recognize the jersey so that means they are going to win it all?

wow.....  :(

Dude.  Argentina has a population of well over 40 million and I think it is fair to say soccer is important to them and they have had a lot of success whether or not they are currently at a peak.  

In a real sport, there is simply no way whatsoever a nation like that could be tied in even one game by a country that has a population of 68 people.  And one of those people is friggin Bjork.  BTW, I didn't check the box score.  Did she play?

8 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Belgium is looking very rusty. A lot of had touches. I wonder if they're not taking this game seriously enough.

They don't want an Argentina-esque embarrassment.

after watching too much so far, this was planned as a day away, except I have to cheer for England

8 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

The same way the Sabres could tie the Caps if all five players stood no more than 5 feet from the goal.  

Just now, row_33 said:

argentina is a tad disappointed but not worried about moving on to the next round

it was just a frickin first round game

Agreed.  They should be fine.  

It's a weird team, because their second best player won't play much unless the manager tweaks their formation because he plays the same position as Messi.  

16 minutes ago, stony said:

Agreed.  They should be fine.  

It's a weird team, because their second best player won't play much unless the manager tweaks their formation because he plays the same position as Messi.  

they usually aren't into head games, they just get vicious and nasty when backed into a corner

it's the group of death by far for this round, another tie between the big 3 would make this even more interesting.

1 hour ago, stony said:

The same way the Sabres could tie the Caps if all five players stood no more than 5 feet from the goal.  

What if the Caps could pick the best players from 40 million hockey crazed people and the Sabres could pick the best players from the hockey crazed population of half of Wyoming plus Bjork?

10 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

What if the Caps could pick the best players from 40 million hockey crazed people and the Sabres could pick the best players from the hockey crazed population of half of Wyoming plus Bjork?

Pre or post swan Bjork?

Quick impressions- England's style is the funnest to watch.  They look great, except some blown easy goals and a stupid penalty.  Mexico's counter attack is fun to watch, and they played great.  Belgium looks like contenders.  As does Brazil.  Watch out for a pissed off Germany