Pats Pulpit: Brady is back with the Pats, but things aren’t the same

2 minutes ago, transient said:

Real men don’t drink avocado smoothies. 

I’m not a fan of smoothies in general (something about the texture) but green smoothies with kale, etc make me want to hurl at the sight. I know they are healthy but, I just can’t do it. I do like avocado on its own 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, TBBills Fan said:

It does feel like the sun is starting to set.......one can hope

I get that feeling as well.  I don't know that there will be a collapse this year, but it doesn't seem as if Belichick is able to keep as tight a rein on things as he has in the past.  Certainly, Brady does not need the OTAs to know what he's supposed to be doing on the field, but some of their newer receivers would benefit from more exposure to the way Brady throws the ball rather than less exposure.  The Patriots have three QBs on the roster.  That means for the OTAs they've only had two QBs present.  That means they had to run the drills short handed at QB or find a former QB on the roster (Julian Edelman?) and ask him to throw the ball instead of catch it.  It's not a huge deal, but a team is clearly better off with all their QBs in house.  I think there may be a few other things to indicate the Patriots are becoming a bit unraveled compared to Patriot teams of the past.

7 hours ago, TBBills Fan said:

It does feel like the sun is starting to set.......one can hope

The dude is going to be turning 41 in camp. It’s clearly starting to set. Is this his last year? Does he have 2? Maaaaaaybe 3? 

A lot of posters started the countdown at like 32 years old for some reason which makes it feel like he’s beat the predictions forever... but at 41 it’s certainly a different story 

2 hours ago, Steptide said:

I know this will sound crazy considering the Patriots were in the superbowl last year, but Imo Brady didn't look as good last year as previous years. He looked vulnerable and sluggish to some degree. Yes, they went to the superbowl, but mark my words, last year was the beggining of the end for the Brady era

Statistically it was among his best seasons of the past 5-10 years. What would he have done with more energy in his game?

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I know we always laugh at these preseason stories about Brady slowing down or the Pats imploding, but this is from the NE side:

https://www.patspulpit.com/2018/6/6/17433074/new-england-patriots-tom-brady-minicamp-practice-nfl-offseason-drama

Also heard on radio that Belichick was yelling at Brady in an OTA practice.... 

The DeathStar imploding

11 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

This is a big bucket of “who cares?”  Until Brady becomes a mere mortal on the field during games what does it matter?  

Don't ruin it bro!

Yeah, Brady may take a fractional step downwards, but another Pat seems to be improving to take up the slack.

No, you're right. Yolo, that every year people start talking about how this is the year they start to fall apart. And my suspicion is that for yet another year they're going to be excellent. 

But yeah, for the first time last year and this year we're seeing cracks in the façade. I love it. It's not a big deal anymore than it was a big deal when Bruce Smith would skip half the offseason. Brady doesn't need the extra time. But it does say something about his priorities and his relationship with Belichick.

And IMHO his priorities are part of what made him special and his relationship with Belichick is part of what made the team special. I would expect an extremely tiny fall-off, and that Brady starts looking at what he'll do after football. And I love to see him thinking that way.

Edited by Thurman#1

12 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

jealousy pervades....Hatetriots vs Cheatriots is far more accurate.....14 AFCE titles and 5 Lombardis all because of cheating?.....

I agree. It's stupid. Have they bent the rules? Yes. Do they have the best Coach and Quarterback of all time? Yes.  

I think the Pats will win AFCE East again.  But I think they win it at 10-6 and for the first time in 8 years they will not make the AFCCG.

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Could be a decent “bridge” guy. ?

if we could get him on the cheap, vet minimum with incentives....kick the tires...take a flyer......bring him to camp......

15 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I’d trade next years 1st for him and let Allen sit behind him for at least a year.

Yep.

Without hesitation.

You're a fool.

I learned years ago never to discount the Pats as long as #12 and the Hoodie are still there. There have been seasons where we've looked at their talent on both sides of the ball and said, "Yep, this is the year they finally fizzle out," but they always find a way. Even if Brady and Belechick aren't on the best terms, they still have the same goal and the same insane competitive fire to win, so that's probably what they're gonna do.

And to the argument that Brady wouldn't be Brady on any other team... eh, he's a phenomenal player but one reason I've felt he's had such sustained success is how the Pats play offense. They don't subscribe to one certain style, they adjust it weekly depending on who they're facing. Put Brady on a team that sticks to a specific offensive style as opposed to adjusting it week by week, then maybe he doesn't have the career he's had. But he's great, always been great, probably won't see anyone come close to his level in this lifetime.

4 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Yeah, I mean who would want the best ever QB who just threw for 500yards in a SB?

Who's 41 years old. You want to trade a first rounder for a 1 year rental?

Wouldn't matter anyways, because he would retire before allowing himself to be traded.