Obama, FBI, DOj Spies in Trumps campain

10 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

... That's why this is such a big issue regardless of politics or party. This cannot be allowed to happen again, that means it cannot be allowed to go unreported on or unpunished. Not just little fish getting Scooter Libby sentences, there needs to be strong examples made of big fish to send the message that this kind of overreach can never happen again. 

again, i maintain that it is only relevant to the elite. you or i, well... they will continue to spy on us at will. all of the so called elite are afraid of us.

Edited by Foxx

It’s beginning to look a lot like…

Michael Barone is the omniscient and judicious political historian and columnist. He co-wrote the first 22 or so editions of the Almanac of American Politics, out in 2018 in what must be its twenty-third biennial edition. It has no competition; there is nothing else like it. The same might be said of Barone himself.

In his most recent Washington Examiner column Barone absorbs the recent disclosures in the slowly unfolding scandal implicit in the counterintelligence investigation that culminated in the Mueller Switch Project. I noted the column in “Comey and Clapper clarify.” I think the unfolding scandal may be the biggest and most audacious in American political history.

Barone isn’t quite there yet, but he’s getting close. The New York Post republishes Barone’s column today under the evocative headline “Obama’s spying scandal is starting to look a lot like Watergate.”

In his understated style, Barone lends historical perspective: “Until 2016, just about everyone agreed that it was a bad thing for government intelligence or law enforcement agencies to spy (er, secretly collect information?) on a political campaign. Especially a campaign of the opposition party.” Thank you, Mr. Barone!

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

You're spot on with the last sentence. They were sure she was going to win. She was never supposed to lose... had she won, none of this would be coming to light and the illegal political spying apparatus would have been turned back on. 

That's why this is such a big issue regardless of politics or party. This cannot be allowed to happen again, that means it cannot be allowed to go unreported on or unpunished. Not just little fish getting Scooter Libby sentences, there needs to be strong examples made of big fish to send the message that this kind of overreach can never happen again. 

For no other reason, I call Clinton's loss "the miracle of Trump".  If she had won, this activity would have become part and parcel of a politicized FBI and DOJ with the ultimate goal of making a one-party USA.  This is the main reason why I can overlook a lot of the BS that comes along with having an a-hole in the White House. 

• Like (+1) 3

Gowdy says FBI acted appropriately.  Criticizes Schiff..  Still think it's a conspiracy theory to discount another conspiracy theory until proven otherwise.

Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-SC), the chairman of the House Oversight Committee, said on Tuesday that the FBI’s use of an informant for the Trump campaign in 2016 was appropriate, joining top Democrats in disputing President Donald Trump’s characterization of the informant as a spy.

“I am even more convinced that the FBI did exactly what my fellow citizens would want them to do when they got the information they got, and that it has nothing to do with Donald Trump,” Gowdy said during an interview on Fox News.

In recent days, Trump has parroted misleading claims about the FBI’s use of the informant as part of its counter-intelligence investigation into Russia’s interference in the 2016 election, dubbing the individual a “spy” and referring to the controversy as “Spygate.”

Gowdy’s comments were significant because the former federal prosecutor participated in a classified briefing about the informant last week that was conducted by Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein and FBI Director Christopher Wray. The so-called “Gang of Eight”—which includes House and Senate leaders in addition to the top Republicans and Democrats on the intelligence committees—also joined the briefing. The Democrats present at the meeting previously released a joint statement saying they heard “no evidence” from Rosenstein and Wray that a “spy” was placed within the Trump campaign.

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL), who sits on the Senate Intelligence Committee, has also backed Gowdy’s and other congressional leaders’ characterization of the FBI’s activities as part of the counter-intelligence investigation. On Sunday, the senator said the FBI was right to look into “individuals with a history of links to Russia that were concerning.”

One of the president’s top lawyers, former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani, said on Sunday that the use of the informant means special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation is no longer “legitimate.” Giuliani said the government was “spying on a candidate of the opposition party,” comparing it to Watergate.

Giuliani also raised serious doubts about whether the president would ever sit for an interview with the special counsel. But Gowdy said Trump needs to do an interview so that the president could testify privately to Mueller's team about what he has said publicly—that there was no collusion with Russia, and that he did not obstruct justice.

“If he were my client, and I’d say if you’ve done nothing wrong, you need to sit down and tell Mueller what you know,” he said.

Separately, Gowdy said Trump’s detractors including Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA), the top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, are “doing a disservice to our fellow citizens” when they do not “make it clear” that the president is not a “target” of the investigation.

36 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Gowdy says FBI acted appropriately.  Criticizes Schiff..  Still think it's a conspiracy theory to discount another conspiracy theory until proven otherwise.

Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-SC), the chairman of the House Oversight Committee, said on Tuesday that the FBI’s use of an informant for the Trump campaign in 2016 was appropriate, joining top Democrats in disputing President Donald Trump’s characterization of the informant as a spy.

“I am even more convinced that the FBI did exactly what my fellow citizens would want them to do when they got the information they got, and that it has nothing to do with Donald Trump,” Gowdy said during an interview on Fox News.

In recent days, Trump has parroted misleading claims about the FBI’s use of the informant as part of its counter-intelligence investigation into Russia’s interference in the 2016 election, dubbing the individual a “spy” and referring to the controversy as “Spygate.”

Gowdy’s comments were significant because the former federal prosecutor participated in a classified briefing about the informant last week that was conducted by Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein and FBI Director Christopher Wray. The so-called “Gang of Eight”—which includes House and Senate leaders in addition to the top Republicans and Democrats on the intelligence committees—also joined the briefing. The Democrats present at the meeting previously released a joint statement saying they heard “no evidence” from Rosenstein and Wray that a “spy” was placed within the Trump campaign.

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL), who sits on the Senate Intelligence Committee, has also backed Gowdy’s and other congressional leaders’ characterization of the FBI’s activities as part of the counter-intelligence investigation. On Sunday, the senator said the FBI was right to look into “individuals with a history of links to Russia that were concerning.”

One of the president’s top lawyers, former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani, said on Sunday that the use of the informant means special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation is no longer “legitimate.” Giuliani said the government was “spying on a candidate of the opposition party,” comparing it to Watergate.

Giuliani also raised serious doubts about whether the president would ever sit for an interview with the special counsel. But Gowdy said Trump needs to do an interview so that the president could testify privately to Mueller's team about what he has said publicly—that there was no collusion with Russia, and that he did not obstruct justice.

“If he were my client, and I’d say if you’ve done nothing wrong, you need to sit down and tell Mueller what you know,” he said.

Separately, Gowdy said Trump’s detractors including Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA), the top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, are “doing a disservice to our fellow citizens” when they do not “make it clear” that the president is not a “target” of the investigation.

We'll see.

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I never thought of Gowdy as having fallen off the turnip truck, but if he is buying that Mueller isn't just flat going after Trump, then he fell of the turnip truck.

Nobody should ever count on Congress to get things right.  They're cutting deals and softening the edges of the story in order to save the machine.  Sure, there will be new regulations and laws that will get passed.  These will be patches for what they'll term "troublesome holes in the system" that their investigations have uncovered.   They'll ignore the fact that they wouldn't have uncovered the holes if nobody exploited them.  Thinking people will look at them funny, but Congress won't care because they're not really representatives of their constituents. 

And ultimately they'll never go after any of the big fish for what happened in 2016/17.  Trump's DOJ won't do it either, because that will appear to be political retribution.  Whatever investigations and grand juries are going on now are only going to result in lower-level players being thrown into the fire.  All of the leaders, department heads, etc. will skate.

On 5/25/2018 at 5:56 PM, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

This blows Watergate out of the water! ?

how is this not on constant news cycles with the main stream media, unless they have an agenda?

It would seem the most “transparent” presidency of the previous administration is anything but. Sounds like the web of deceit is about to unravel. Hopefully they prosecute those associated with the Clinton crime family, like they would a common citizen. 

Sounds a lot like its all made up. A lie. A president who is in serious trouble 

Gowdy says FBI 'did exactly what my fellow citizens would want them to do' in Russia investigation

House Oversight Committee Chairman Trey Gowdy said Tuesday he is now "more convinced" that the FBI acted appropriately in its handling of the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election and possible connections to Donald Trump's campaign.

Gowdy's comments come as President Trump continues to attack the department and the bureau over the handling of the Russia investigation.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/29/politics/trey-gowdy-fbi-confidential-source-trump-russia/index.html

Edited by ALF
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

We'll see.

We will! 

Glad that there are more than just one investigation going on. At several federal offices and at the state level. 

If Trump is obviously guilty of corruption, money laundering, bribery, extortion, conspiracy to defraud the US and/or any other major offenses, do you think he should be prosecuted and or impeached? If it were a Democrat I would. 

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

We will! 

Glad that there are more than just one investigation going on. At several federal offices and at the state level. 

If Trump is obviously guilty of corruption, money laundering, bribery, extortion, conspiracy to defraud the US and/or any other major offenses, do you think he should be prosecuted and or impeached? If it were a Democrat I would. 

So what you're saying is that Obama should face charges. Congrats, you're coming around.

45 minutes ago, ALF said:

Gowdy says FBI 'did exactly what my fellow citizens would want them to do' in Russia investigation

House Oversight Committee Chairman Trey Gowdy said Tuesday he is now "more convinced" that the FBI acted appropriately in its handling of the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election and possible connections to Donald Trump's campaign.

Gowdy's comments come as President Trump continues to attack the department and the bureau over the handling of the Russia investigation.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/29/politics/trey-gowdy-fbi-confidential-source-trump-russia/index.html

Word choice is key. Note the way Gowdy framed the discussion (full wording) - he framed the discussion around the FBI doing "what Trump ordered them to do"... while he was POTUS. 

We know the majority of the abuses - including the FISA abuses and falsification of evidence to the FISC - happened before Trump was POTUS. 

This is an information war, disinformation is part of the battle plan. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

So what you're saying is that Obama should face charges. Congrats, you're coming around.

No class 

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Word choice is key. Note the way Gowdy framed the discussion (full wording) - he framed the discussion around the FBI doing "what Trump ordered them to do"... while he was POTUS. 

We know the majority of the abuses - including the FISA abuses and falsification of evidence to the FISC - happened before Trump was POTUS. 

This is an information war, disinformation is part of the battle plan. 

No, that's not what he was sort of saying in code words. He was saying FBI acted correctly which contradicts Trump's lies. Trump's lies which you repeat and amplify on. 

53 minutes ago, ALF said:

I watched his comments. I actually came away thinking it was a sneaky defense of Trump. Two quotes.

I am even more convinced that the FBI did exactly what my fellow citizens would want them to do when they got the information they got, and that it has nothing to do with Donald Trump.

I think when the president finds out what happened, he is going to be not just fine, he is going to be glad that we have an FBI that took seriously what they heard.

I've had a bunch of liberal friends rubbing this in my face but I think it could just be a ploy to make them trust Gowdy. It would make them look foolish if he comes out against them when the OIG report hits.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

3 minutes ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

I watched his comments. I actually came away thinking it was a sneaky defense of Trump. Two quotes.

I've had a bunch of liberal friends rubbing this in my face but I think it could just be a ploy to make them trust Gowdy. It would make them look foolish if he comes out against them when the OIG report hits.

He's also auditioning for a new job, and he badly wants one inside DOJ. Can't burn the institution down you're hoping hires you.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Well, Trump is your hero, lol, so you need to believe that. 

Mueller has way more credibility than Trump. Not even close 

C'mon Mueller, move your bloomin' arse!

2 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

He's also auditioning for a new job, and he badly wants one inside DOJ. Can't burn the institution down you're hoping hires you.

Yes, he's sounded like quite the fair minded centrist ever since he announced he wouldn't run for re-election.  He's probably got whatever is next for him already lined up and won't rock the boat. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I thought I knew before, but now I'm not so sure... 

Could you define both conspiracy theories you're referring to?

That Trump colluded with Russia and that the FBI/DOJ/CIA sent a spy into the Trump campaign for political purposes.

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/389827-fox-newss-napolitano-trumps-spygate-claims-are-baseless

Not even this Trump supporter believes the spygate lie

Fox News's Andrew Napolitano said late Tuesday there is “no evidence” to support President Trump’s “spygate” claim that the FBI planted spies in his 2016 presidential campaign.

Napolitano, the news network's senior judicial analyst, said on "The Story With Martha MacCallum" that Trump’s lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, is making a “baseless” claim.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

That Trump colluded with Russia and that the FBI/DOJ/CIA sent a spy into the Trump campaign for political purposes.

:beer: Thanks, was just making sure I wasn't misconstruing. 

As for Judge, there is evidence. Lots of it. Reams of it. With names, dates, and payments. This defense will end badly for the partisans in the MSM.

If the Russian collusion story is real, why are Carter Page and Misfud - both alleged agents of Russia - walking around free? More than walking around, one is constantly on TV... 

One of Doc's "conspiracy theories" is just that, the other is just an old fashioned conspiracy with evidence to prove it.

Isn't Napolitano known as a staunch Trump hater?

28 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

:beer: Thanks, was just making sure I wasn't misconstruing. 

As for Judge, there is evidence. Lots of it. Reams of it. With names, dates, and payments. This defense will end badly for the partisans in the MSM.

If the Russian collusion story is real, why are Carter Page and Misfud - both alleged agents of Russia - walking around free? More than walking around, one is constantly on TV... 

One of Doc's "conspiracy theories" is just that, the other is just an old fashioned conspiracy with evidence to prove it.

I am not saying he is guilty or innocent, but Bolling has his own troubles and he shouldn't be commenting on this.

Why can't people just lay low?

14 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I am not saying he is guilty or innocent, but Bolling has his own troubles and he shouldn't be commenting on this.

Why can't people just lay low?

He does. But he raises a good point that shouldn't be overlooked. 

Tough to rectify the statements and reporting on this issue when they're talking out both sides of their mouths... which is what you'd expect to do when there's a coverup in the works. 

It's not going to work though. 1.2 million+ pages will see to that.

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

He does. But he raises a good point that shouldn't be overlooked. 

Tough to rectify the statements and reporting on this issue when they're talking out both sides of their mouths... which is what you'd expect to do when there's a coverup in the works. 

It's not going to work though. 1.2 million+ pages will see to that.

Are these pages really going to come out?

It looks like it can be stalled all the way thru the mid terms. If the Dems take the House and the Senate, those pages will get buried.

That is the game plan.............. any way.

4 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Are these pages really going to come out?

It looks like it can be stalled all the way thru the mid terms. If the Dems take the House and the Senate, those pages will get buried.

That is the game plan.............. any way.

There are many ways they can be suppressed or redacted before its public release, this is true. 

There are also several ways in which the full release can happen without redactions. 

We'll see soon enough, but the latter is more likely than a complete lockdown on the information coming out imo.