Incognito's Retirement? [update: Now Released]

25 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

I highly doubt that Jerry Hughes is going to throw a tantrum with the terms of his current contract as they currently are. A much more real situation with him however, is likely to occur next year, if he doesn't have a really good 2018 season. His dead cap hit next year will only be $2,900,000. At this point the onus is clearly on him to produce big if he expects to keep his job in 2019. He has a cap hit for 2019 of $10,400,000. 

I hardly think that McCoy will do this based on his contract situation with the Bills either (see my comment re: Jerry Hughes - Their contract situations are pretty similar actually. Both need to have really good 2018 seasons or they will not be here in 2019)

The contract situation and his strive for the HOF and 12,000 etc etc is the exact reason I see him wanting a trade. This Offense is bad the OL is in flux. He has so many years left. I could see him wanting out and to a better team 

46 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's an interesting question.

I looked back at 'Cog's twitter, and he never tweeted that.

He retweeted something Vic Carruci tweeted after interviewing him.

So to me, it was different than the rest of the twit-fest he pulled back in April.

If it was a tantrum, he sucked a respected journalist into it, then SI picked it up

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/10/bills-richie-incognito-announces-retirement-twitter

I would certainly think that any team offering Incognito a contract would want to be thoroughly reassured on those points.

Im sure they’d double check his health but probably not thaaat different than any 30+ year old OL. 

he pulled that comment practically in concert with that for the right price he’d play. It felt like a child flailing around to try to get out of trouble. That he said different things to different people doesn’t make me think any Avenue was particularly different. Just that he was throwing a tantrum and we had multiple ways to witness it 

I love there are some crazy people defending this POS. He is and will always be a POS.  Total BS by the Bills to cater to this idiot.   I mean I get it if it’s Kyle Williams.  But this idiot should be on his knees thanking the Bills for giving him a chance when no one wanted him.

peace scumbag and I hope you have a meltdown and destroys his next team.  Dude sucks.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought your post implied perhaps he was going to take more time away from football first.

What about all the kidney and liver shutting down/failing stuff he said in interviews and tweets? 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/10/bills-richie-incognito-announces-retirement-twitter

Was that all a smokescreen or is he going to have to face extra scrutiny in a pre-signing physical?

I think because of his age will take a contract offered to him, and his gentle disposition he will play at a high level. I could see him returning the Pro Bowl form just because he is that competitive and good at his job. But I don't see him being work the headache you would have been here with us in Buffalo, and I truly see him checked out. All indications I've heard are just that, he is frustrated about not complacent

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I love there are some crazy people defending this POS. He is and will always be a POS.  Total BS by the Bills to cater to this idiot.   I mean I get it if it’s Kyle Williams.  But this idiot should be on his knees thanking the Bills for giving him a chance when no one wanted him.

peace scumbag and I hope you have a meltdown and destroys his next team.  Dude sucks.

It certainly seems as though Ritchie is now showing his true colors.  If he signed a restructured contract, he should absolutely adhere to that contract.  If he feels that he was "duped" by either the Bills or his agent, and signed the contract without understanding the full ramifications/details, then too bad for him.  I receive a new contract every March for the following school year, and I'm given 14 calendar days to review and sign (or dispute if I disagree).  It's my choice, and I read and try to understand every last word on the document before I sign.  No different here.

The way he has handled this in public, IMO, has been a complete bag over the head punch in the face to the only organization that was willing to give him a second chance.  Karma is a B word, Ritchie.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

It certainly seems as though Ritchie is now showing his true colors.  If he signed a restructured contract, he should absolutely adhere to that contract.  If he feels that he was "duped" by either the Bills or his agent, and signed the contract without understanding the full ramifications/details, then too bad for him.  I receive a new contract every March for the following school year, and I'm given 14 calendar days to review and sign (or dispute if I disagree).  It's my choice, and I read and try to understand every last word on the document before I sign.  No different here.

The way he has handled this in public, IMO, has been a complete bag over the head punch in the face to the only organization that was willing to give him a second chance.  Karma is a B word, Ritchie.

Exactly.  Why are some fans defending him?  This is a guy who was kicked out of multiple colleges and nfl teams.  He got voted dirtiest player multiple times.  He threw a temper tantrum on twitter about a contract he signed.

what about this guy is defensible?  

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Exactly.  Why are some fans defending him?  This is a guy who was kicked out of multiple colleges and nfl teams.  He got voted dirtiest player multiple times.  He threw a temper tantrum on twitter about a contract he signed.

His play for us.

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

So you’re cool with it at what age cutoff? 

And whats the mechanism for blocking the pats signing? Do we make them pinky swear prior to release?

Viewing it ONLY as an "age cutoff" thing is over simplifying it. But if a player is 34 AND becoming a headcase? I'm okay with it.

Oh, and I'm not going to do backflips to make sure he doesn't become a Patriot. I don't care. They've whooped us twice a year for 17 years now. Let's suppose they sign Incognito (which I doubt they will), what does that mean? They win 13 games instead of 12? The Bills shouldn't make personnel decisions based on fear of the Patriots.

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The ol’ He’s a scumbag but he’s our scumbag!

also, G should be one of the easiest positions to replace.  

From all accounts he was a model citizen while on the Bills.

As to the bolded, you must not follow Bills football.

1 minute ago, SWATeam said:

From all accounts he was a model citizen while on the Bills.

As to the bolded, you must not follow Bills football.

Haha, should is the key word.  

1 minute ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Not the type of behavior I would expect from a vet like Richie. Richie is very articulate and intelligent, there could be more to this story.

Haha, are you trolling?  This is exactly what I would expect from him.  He is showing who he really is. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Logic said:

Viewing it ONLY as an "age cutoff" thing is over simplifying it. But if a player is 34 AND becoming a headcase? I'm okay with it.

Oh, and I'm not going to do backflips to make sure he doesn't become a Patriot. I don't care. They've whooped us twice a year for 17 years now. Let's suppose they sign Incognito (which I doubt they will), what does that mean? They win 13 games instead of 12? The Bills shouldn't make personnel decisions based on fear of the Patriots.

So let’s say Hughes wants out. He goes on a 4 day twitter bender and drunk dials the pegulas- that gets him out of his contract?

i only mentioned the pats because you did

The only plausible scenario I can see is that something "shady" happened with his agent.  If his agent failed to act as his fiduciary and got him to agree to something that wasn't in his best interest, I can understand him being pissed - saying, "I'd rather retire than be treated like this"... and then have second thoughts later.  If there was something underhanded done, either perceived or actual, I can also understand the Bills being willing to let him walk as they wouldn't want a malcontent in "the process".

10 hours ago, Lfod said:

People are taking it hard. I feel sorry for them. They do not understand the new culture yet. They are not used to being winners yet. They are stuck back in the drought mentality of holding on to things that make them think the team is a little better when it wasn't. 

Very well put. 

I'm sure there's a long waiting list for teams to sign a 34+ vet who fired his long-time agent, went on a rambling 4-day twitter meltdown, manufactured an illness, and then told off the team owners in a drunken rampage.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

So let’s say Hughes wants out. He goes on a 4 day twitter bender and drunk dials the pegulas- that gets him out of his contract?

i only mentioned the pats because you did

I'm not gonna play the "let's say" hypothetical game all day long.

Each case is different. 

In this specific case, I feel Beane made the right decision. I'll be happy to evaluate the next thing that comes along when it actually comes along. 

28 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He's not the owner. He's not the GM. Some Bills fans just love to hate the Owner and GM.

5 minutes ago, GG said:

I'm sure there's a long waiting list for teams to sign a 34+ vet who fired his long-time agent, went on a rambling 4-day twitter meltdown, manufactured an illness, and then told off the team owners in a drunken rampage.

If there is any truth to this drunken rampage story, then I suspect that while the story may never surface publicly, it will surface among the owners.

And that'll be that until one owner is desperate enough to bring him on.