Why Fedex Why?

Ordered something for Mother's day on Friday, figured it would ship on Monday, no big deal.  Get the notice Friday it shipped, cool.   Track shipment....Hanahan SC-Charlotte NC-Belle Isle FL-Orlando FL-Orlando FL.....Are they just showing this package around Orlando before the expected delivery date of 5/10?   Heck the US Mail could have gotten it here by now.   This is why I do not order crap online.   Last time I actually called Fedex and said "just drop at my local post office I'll pick it up myself."    

How can a company this inefficient make money? 

24 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Ordered something for Mother's day on Friday, figured it would ship on Monday, no big deal.  Get the notice Friday it shipped, cool.   Track shipment....Hanahan SC-Charlotte NC-Belle Isle FL-Orlando FL-Orlando FL.....Are they just showing this package around Orlando before the expected delivery date of 5/10?   Heck the US Mail could have gotten it here by now.   This is why I do not order crap online.   Last time I actually called Fedex and said "just drop at my local post office I'll pick it up myself."    

Inefficient for you does not equal inefficient for them.   Pretty sure that company has the logistics thing down cold.

p.s.  next time pony up for 3 day shipping!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, KD in CA said:

Inefficient for you does not equal inefficient for them.   Pretty sure that company has the logistics thing down cold.

p.s.  next time pony up for 3 day shipping!

Why?  I don't need it until Saturday I was just musing as to why they would shuttle it around Orlando wasting fuel.   

Just now, Soda Popinski said:

Why?  I don't need it until Saturday I was just musing as to why they would shuttle it around Orlando wasting fuel.   

Orlando is beautiful at this time of the year... you should head on over.

• Haha (+1) 1

I've seen that before, I don't remember if it was FedEx or UPS. My shipment was listed as to be delivered on a certain day. It arrived at the local distribution center a few days early. And there it sat until the day it was scheduled to arrive. 

Just now, T&C said:

Orlando is beautiful at this time of the year... you should head on over.

Tell you what i'll meet you in Winter Garden at Crooked Can brewery.   But pick up that package first and I'll buy a round. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Soda Popinski said:

Tell you what i'll meet you in Winter Garden at Crooked Can brewery.   But pick up that package first and I'll buy a round. 

Haven? You missed a subtle message a few posts back.

I had a similar issue recently.

I noticed that the item was shipped using "Fed Ex Smartpost," and I'd never heard of it before.

Turns out, Fed Ex delivers it to the nearest USPS, then the USPS actually delivers the parcel.  It took like 6 business days for my item to get from PA to NY.

The vendor could have just used USPS and I would have gotten the !@#$ing thing in 3 days, tops.

Moral:  Beware of Fed Ex Smartpost.

it just must be how fedex works.  we've noticed that on our street, we'll see fedex stop at house, deliver a package, leave, and a while later come back to deliver a package two doors down.  same truck and same driver.  i think they farm out quite a bit of work as well.  our dog as going nuts barking so i looked out of my office, and saw some sketch ball dropping off a package.  older guy, ragged looking, no uniform.  i had no idea what it was about, so when i got up to look, the guy drove away in a busted truck with a magnetic fedex sign on it.  as a poster earlier mentioned, it's just their logistics.

on another note, our standard mail carrier, (who was a super nice guy) was just arrested for blowing coke in the back of his truck, and stealing gift cards from the mail.  had him on camera and everything.

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

I've seen that before, I don't remember if it was FedEx or UPS. My shipment was listed as to be delivered on a certain day. It arrived at the local distribution center a few days early. And there it sat until the day it was scheduled to arrive. 

If it's a busy holiday; Christmas, Mother's Day, etc; mail carriers will prioritize air deliveries over ground packages. They don't want to hire extra help, so they postpone non-guaranteed delivery until the rush is over. This happens around every federal holiday, but sometimes can also occur when a delay occurs along the route; ie closed airport or weather.

59 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I noticed that the item was shipped using "Fed Ex Smartpost," and I'd never heard of it before.

Turns out, Fed Ex delivers it to the nearest USPS, then the USPS actually delivers the parcel.  It took like 6 business days for my item to get from PA to NY.

The vendor could have just used USPS and I would have gotten the !@#$ing thing in 3 days, tops.

FedEX smartpost and UPS Surepost are contracts with USPS to move packages because the post office can't handle the volume. It's what Trump mentioned about USPS losing money on the Amazon contract. The Post office actually pays a 3rd party carrier more than what they're getting from the customer. I believe (not sure) that the company that delivers it to your door is usually the one the shipper used;  it's up to them how they get it across the country, whether it be rail, boat, plane or Fedex, before getting the package back to finish the process.

2 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

Where do you think the US mail comes from?  FedEx & UPS.

My family used to live in Las Vegas, NEW MEXICO, so I routinely watched packages wrongly shipped to Nevada. I got in the habit of watching how packages travel. Even made a few phone calls during the Harry Potter book 7 and PS2 craze when everything went to hell.

My sister freaked out when her HP book was getting transferred from USPS to Fedex and circling in the city.  She thought someone else was reading her book...

2 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

Maybe you work at the PO? Because fed ex blows them away. EX. purchased a vinyl record in LA. paid standard shipping not media mail. It took 2 weeks too arrive. The delivery (finally) was yesterday. I will say this bills arrive promptly though. 

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Gungy is rarely right but he is correct on this.

Vendor said it was being sent via Fed Ex.

I get notice it is supposed to be delivered Saturday and all day I keep checking to see if it has been delivered for there are serial package stealers in area.  Then I read note.

The package(s) is scheduled for delivery on or before the scheduled delivery displayed. FedEx SmartPost is not a day definite service and not eligible for money-back guarantee.

On Tuesday tracking reports

7:50 am Departed FedEx location FEDEX SMARTPOST LOS ANGELES, CA

Someone is being deceptive - it is NOT USPS, they have not got package yet so it is either Fed Ex or shipper and I think it is Fed Ex
In transit.  They should state it is the absolute earliest it COULD arrive.

Departed FedEx location FEDEX SMARTPOST LOS ANGELES, CA
Ship date: Fri 5/04/2018 CHATSWORTH, CA US
Scheduled delivery: Sat 5/12/2018 by end of day