Daboll had a "specific plan" for Josh Allen if the Bills drafted him.

PIZ

9 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I'd like to see a lot of short throws underneath, plays designed to get a guy open right away immediately. Allen will thrive in the intermediate/deep stuff, focus on quick stuff to get the chains moving.

I'm interested to see how many RPO's they run and the complexity of them. He's accurate over the middle when he's in rhythm. Freeze the LB's and let him hit those quick slants. If the slant isn't open, chuck it to one of the outside receivers running a go. 

One thing I'm curious about is his ability/willingness to check down. In college you don't see him do it very often. With Shady, check downs can lead to big plays and I think that's a weapon that could help him a lot. I think they should start with a bunch of plays that are 2-3 reads top and then check down. They need to get him to speed up with progressions a little bit and learn to utilize Shady in the pass game when he isn't the primary target.

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, elroy16 said:

I'm interested to see how many RPO's they run and the complexity of them. He's accurate over the middle when he's in rhythm. Freeze the LB's and let him hit those quick slants. If the slant isn't open, chuck it to one of the outside receivers running a go. 

One thing I'm curious about is his ability/willingness to check down. In college you don't see him do it very often. With Shady, check downs can lead to big plays and I think that's a weapon that could help him a lot. I think they should start with a bunch of plays that are 2-3 reads top and then check down. They need to get him to speed up with progressions a little bit and learn to utilize Shady in the pass game when he isn't the primary target.

What is interesting about Allen is they might use RPOs for him, but they will never run them for McCarron/Peterman, neither is much of a mobile QB.   So you might see an entirely different offense for Allen than you saw with McCarron. 

11 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

What is interesting about Allen is they might use RPOs for him, but they will never run them for McCarron/Peterman, neither is much of a mobile QB.   So you might see an entirely different offense for Allen than you saw with McCarron. 

Peterman can definitely run RPO's. McCarron isn't terribly immobile either.

Just now, Wayne Arnold said:

Peterman can definitely run RPO's. McCarron isn't terribly immobile either.

We'll see what Daboll does, hopefully soon.  I remember Peterman running last year, and then getting knocked out of the game.   

5 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Are you sure about that?

Sure he did! Didn’t you see the truck? 

Of course, the buffalo was running backwards, so that should have been a clue..... :huh:

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Sure he did! Didn’t you see the truck? 

Of course, the buffalo was running backwards, so that should have been a clue..... :huh:

I liked it when someone photoshopped the Witt brothers (Nit and Half) going over Niagara Falls on that tandem bicycle.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, elroy16 said:

Please take this with a grain of salt, but I think it's hilarious that after literally YEARS of QBs who wouldn't take chances you're wondering if Allen is willing to check it down.

And by the way, I completely agree about Shady's value in the passing game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, elroy16 said:

They tried to do this type of thing with Taylor, and it was a bust.  Taylor  isn't a rhythm passer and neither is Allen.

Allen is a pure passer for whom the red zone starts at the opponent's 40 yard line.  If they accept that Allen can stretch a defense, and move the 8th guy out of the box, Allen can be a 57% passer and still run a successful offense.

If Daboll has a plan, it better not be turning Allen into a WCO QB, or ruining his mechanics in the name of footwork.  Allen is way more Kelly than Brady, and any successful plan should embrace that. 

• Like (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, Perry Turtle said:

They tried to do this type of thing with Taylor, and it was a bust.  Taylor  isn't a rhythm passer and neither is Allen.

Allen is a pure passer for whom the red zone starts at the opponent's 40 yard line.  If they accept that Allen can stretch a defense, and move the 8th guy out of the box, Allen can be a 57% passer and still run a successful offense.

If Daboll has a plan, it better not be turning Allen into a WCO QB, or ruining his mechanics in the name of footwork.  Allen is way more Kelly than Brady, and any successful plan should embrace that. 

I agree, they shouldn't try to run a dink and dunk, timing based WCO with Allen, but they should still run RPOs. Shady is still a great threat who will keep LBs honest which should help Allen get easy completions to receivers past the LBs over the middle of the field. He did it in college, so it wouldn't be brand new to him. 

1 hour ago, eball said:

Please take this with a grain of salt, but I think it's hilarious that after literally YEARS of QBs who wouldn't take chances you're wondering if Allen is willing to check it down.

And by the way, I completely agree about Shady's value in the passing game.

Oh trust me, it felt weird typing. 

I brought it up because there are a lot of times while he's at Wyoming where he's standing in the pocket entirely too long and then forces bad throws, takes a sack, or scrambles. In college he can get away with some of that, especially the scrambling, but he's going to get himself banged up in a hurry if he keeps up style of play. 

11 hours ago, ganesh said:

Wouldn't the same questions be asked for any of the QBs that we would have picked....If we had picked Rosen, then the same questions apply...What has the "coaches" got to do with your skepticism of the Allen pick?

For sure - it would apply to any QB drafted this year. But with Allen graded as the greater project QB of the pool this year, the question becomes a bit more relevant. I don't believe the lack of offensive-minded coaching should dissuade a team from picking a potential franchise QB. Also, I personally don't have much of a leaning on the "Josh Allen Like 'em or Hate em'" binary opposition train, at present. But I wonder who will even be in charge of this development and progress, and what exactly do those expectations look like?

The "raw" and "undeveloped potential" of Allen is one thing that makes the coaches developing him a bit more relevant an issue than your question suggests. If it doesn't come from the coaching, outside of himself, who does Allen have for guidance? AJ McCarron? Peterman? Jordan Palmer workouts are fine in the off-season if they help, but at this point I fail to see one solid option for guidance of our "unrefined" rookie QB on our current staff and team.

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, #34fan said:

Yah... He was gonna implement the '85 Bears defense remember?

All I remember of that jamoke was nothing good to do with Bills football.  Tandem bike riding with his scruffy and inept brother, Clemson helmet at a weekly presser, not enough / too many men on the field, and his belief he won the off season. 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, elroy16 said:

His OC stated that he had full ability to checkdown on that offense including adjusting OL and changing primary target pre snap from pass to run or run to pass.

19 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

:lol: Damn dude. Team exceeded expectations last season and this year is it for you? That's harsh.

Not sure where you got that gist. Re-read my post and respond correctly. 

This is just out there man. 

C6BFA34C-6781-46D9-8192-6B6902AE9B07.jpeg

Edited by Carter
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Carter said:

Not sure where you got that gist. Re-read my post and respond correctly. 

This is just out there man. 

C6BFA34C-6781-46D9-8192-6B6902AE9B07.jpeg

We all saw how the team won in spite of our coaches and gm. They very obviously sabotaged the season to the point where we all thought the tank was on. Whaley built an amazing roster, only to have it torn down. 

1. Gutting the roster

2. Benching tyrod

3.  Bald gingers horrible game manangment 

4. Cutting Darius

5. Trading Watkins

etc. 

Tack off the rose color glasses and and lay off the kool aid my man. 

BillsTroll.jpg

On 5/6/2018 at 11:48 PM, #34fan said:

Chan had a plan. Rex had a plan. Roman had a plan. Dennison had a plan... All these flops had plans. The problem was they didn't have a clue.

This isn't about some coach's stupid plan... It's about giving an offense everything it needs to win football games... That means strategy, and effective weapons.

Spare me your bullsh_t schemes, and cutesy playcalling... Put the ball in the end zone or you're fired. Point blank.

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.” Mike Tyson

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Limeaid said:

His OC stated that he had full ability to checkdown on that offense including adjusting OL and changing primary target pre snap from pass to run or run to pass.

I meant more so checking down to his outlet receiver if he can't find anyone open. A number of his "highlight" plays come from running around and finding guys deep, but at the same time, a number of his really bad interceptions come from these plays as well. Shady is fantastic at catching quick dump offs and making plays. That could help out Allen a lot.

And yes, after captain checkdown and tyrod checking down entirely too often, I realize what I'm saying probably makes people cringe, but I won't budge. 

It is good to hear about how he had the ability to check to different plays and change protections based on what he saw pre-snap. He's coming in ahead of the curve in that regard, so that's at least something they won't have to build from the ground up. 

Here's a good video of Allen going over protections with Cousins.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, elroy16 said:

Here's a good video of Allen going over protections with Cousins.

2 things:

1 -- really like Cousins putting himself out there to help these guys

2 -- I don't think Allen is nearly the "raw" prospect so many believe...

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, eball said:

2 things:

1 -- really like Cousins putting himself out there to help these guys

2 -- I don't think Allen is nearly the "raw" prospect so many believe...

I watch Cousins speak and interact with these young players and I'm baffled by Washington's decision to let him go.