Do we have the worst QB situation in the league?

I said earlier that i would not trade our QB's  for many in the league. I firmly believe that given that Josh Allen becomes the QB i think he is going to be. I would not trade for any team in the AFC East ,South, or West,  I might trade with Pittsburgh in the North. In the NFC  East I would trade with Philadelphia. In the North I might trade with Green Bay, I probably would trade  with Los Angeles and San Francisco and maybe Seattle in the West. I wouldn't trade in the NFC South. I would want a younger   QB  with the exception of Rogers who should have  a few years left .

Well this thread has been a reality check of sorts. I agree that on paper, the Bills are in a much better position. But from proven play, wow, so little in experience.

Sticking with "good" prevents "great" or "excellent" from happening. Tyrod was good, but the change had to be done. So many unknowns as of now, but great possible upsides, and the change had to be made, and was made wisely with the cards dealt. It might turn out great or awful, but I like what's the plan here. It could totally fail, but it's NOT a shot in the dark. I like the situation but yep, we'll know for sure during the season, not before.

On 2018-05-06 at 4:01 PM, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I was arguing with a highly uneducated fellow about this earlier. For the record, I love the Allen pick and I think McCarron could be vastly underrated. But as it stands right now at this very moment, is there a team in the league that has a worse QB stable than us? Kansas City is kind of a question mark right now. Trubisky in Chicago has a year under his belt and should be better this season. Once again, I DO LIKE OUR QBs. I just think that on paper currently, we probably have the worst QB situation in the league

IMO the following are positions with QBs I like dislike...

Miami

New York Jets

Jacksonville

Denver

New York Giants (arguable, I think Eli is done and just average before)

Dallas

8 hours ago, stuvian said:

Bengals, Dolphins, Jags and Cardinals are all worse than us at QB

Its almost like Bills fans didn't watch any of the playoff games the Jags played in last season. Towards the end of the year things really clicked for Bortles.  His regular season numbers in only his second season were much improved over his first season.  

image.png

27 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Its almost like Bills fans didn't watch any of the playoff games the Jags played in last season. Towards the end of the year things really clicked for Bortles.  His regular season numbers in only his second season were much improved over his first season.  

image.png

no question Bortles acquitted himself well in the playoffs. Let's see if it carries over to the regular season. If it does the Jags could be unbeatable

On 5/7/2018 at 6:47 PM, John from Riverside said:

My point is that he may be much better then his play thus far indicates.

He was throwing to:

AJ green

Tyler eifert

Marvin Jones

Mohammad Sanu

RB was Giovanni Bernard and hill who I think rushed for like 1500 combined and had

The QBs he played against were:

Pitt : Ben (loss) who went 282 with 0td 1int (had a bad game)

Sfo: Blaine Gabbert (win) who tossed 1 rd 0 int

Deb: osweiler (loss) who actually threw for 299 with 1 td 0int

Bal: Ryan mallet (win) who had a typical "mallet game" of 292 with 1 td 2 int

Playoffs he didn't even have a very good game, the defense shut down Ben again.

Let's stop acting like he set the world on fire and went out there keeping pace with the elite QBs for those games 

Ben was the only QB he faced who wasn't complete garbage, he had a stacked offense and the #2 defense in the NFL in points given up, behind only Seattle.

I’d say that as of opening day 2018 we may have the worst QB play in the league. That is different than worst QB situation to me though. The Bills have a young top pick at QB and not a lot of money tied up in the poisition. I think a team that has a ton of money tied up in a guy like Flacco or Tannehill is in a worse situation. I don’t think that the Giants situation is ideal either. They are coming off a terrible year with a 39 year-old QB that didn’t play well. There are a bunch of situations that the Bills are better than.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 5/7/2018 at 2:28 AM, Sky Diver said:

1. 191 yds/game is inaccurate.

2. Cleveland agreed to trade a 2nd and 3rd draft pick for McCarron. They were only willing to give up a 3rd rd pick for Taylor.

3. Allen was the 3rd QB taken in a QB rich draft.

The Bills and Browns clearly think that McCarron is better than Taylor and the NFL clearly thinks that Allen is a stud.

Cleveland offered a stupid trade out of desperation to win a game. Sashi Brown rightly took too long to send in the paperwork. 

McCarron can't beat out Dalton.

And Allen was drafted on potential alone. He may turn out great,  he may not.

Potentially the best.

Top ranked rookie-Allen

An unproven yet pretty talented starter-McCarron

Last years rookie still in transformation-Petermen

In one season you may look back and laugh at this thread

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Cleveland offered a stupid trade out of desperation to win a game. Sashi Brown rightly took too long to send in the paperwork. 

McCarron can't beat out Dalton.

And Allen was drafted on potential alone. He may turn out great,  he may not.

I don't think McCarron was given a good opportunity to beat out Dalton. I wouldn't write him off because of that. McCarron is a proved winner.

Any of the top QBs may turn out great, or not....None of them is a sure thing,

Allen is smart, determined and highly coachable with the most upside of any QB in the draft.

Edited by Sky Diver

53 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Potentially the best.

Top ranked rookie-Allen

An unproven yet pretty talented starter-McCarron

Last years rookie still in transformation-Petermen

In one season you may look back and laugh at this thread

I love your enthusiasm. But you, sir, are crazy...

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

I don't think McCarron was given a good opportunity to beat out Dalton. I wouldn't write him off because of that. McCarron is a proved winner.

Any of the top QBs may turn out great, or not....None of them is a sure thing,

Allen is smart, determined and highly coachable with the most upside of any QB in the draft.

Other people have said that Lewis is intensely loyal.  IDK, though.   I'm sure he doesn't want "loser" tattooed on his forehead and he's gotta feel squirmy on that warming seat.  So I think there may be something to it that McCarron couldn't beat Dalton out, and maybe Dalton looked shabby this year because the line was more porous.

On the other hand, if you have a competitive elite athlete, all of them improve with game time.  So if McCarron wants to be #1 (which he gives every sign of) and he's been working on his arm strength and decision making as ferociously as he can, it's not appropriate to place his ceiling at what we saw in 2015, either.  An athlete with full time to work on it can develop a lot in 3 years.

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Other people have said that Lewis is intensely loyal.  IDK, though.   I'm sure he doesn't want "loser" tattooed on his forehead and he's gotta feel squirmy on that warming seat.  So I think there may be something to it that McCarron couldn't beat Dalton out, and maybe Dalton looked shabby this year because the line was more porous.

On the other hand, if you have a competitive elite athlete, all of them improve with game time.  So if McCarron wants to be #1 (which he gives every sign of) and he's been working on his arm strength and decision making as ferociously as he can, it's not appropriate to place his ceiling at what we saw in 2015, either.  An athlete with full time to work on it can develop a lot in 3 years.

McCarron showed flashes, and I wouldn't expect him to have become worse since 2015. Dalton played well enough that there had be a pretty compelling reason to replace him with an unknown. I just don't perceive that not displacing Dalton is a strong negative for McCarron.

Edited by Sky Diver