Apologies to Doug Marrone as we learn more about the environment

JoeF

My question is this.....what is Whaley doing now?  I believe the answer is not a damn thing.  Now if he was soooooooo good he would be hired in SOME capacity no???  Bottom line Whaley had some hits, some misses and a dumpster fire to own up too when it came to speaking publicly, hence the reason he sits at home......

13 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

I gotta agree. Doug may have gotten us to the playoffs by year 4. But he's too dang conservative to be a SB HC. He's like the Tyrod Taylor of HCs

I like McD a lot. He seems to have brought order and discipline to the team and organization as a whole. Hopefully he continues to build this thing stronger (although I am concerned about our offense)

I like McD too. with the right OC (and upgrades to the talent level), we'll be a long term playoff team

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

He just signed that "horrible quarterback" to a contract extension.

Kinda like McDermott did with Tyrod last year?

I think a lot of what is written in here is the story that was told to the public by one bills staff. It is exactly that with no real skepticism. 

Looking at it my way I see:

Marrone came in and many front office staff did not like him because he wanted to control and change things. This leaked out. He had friction with Whaley to the extent that there was an argument in public in camp. When he left it was kept no secret that many at One Bills drive were glad to see him go.

Rex Ryan came in and it was soon leaked that he was another one that butted heads with long serving staff at One Bills drive. He too had friction with Doug Whaley. It was made clear that staff at one bills drive thought him a clown and a buffoon. He got fired and it was made plain that many brass at one bills drive were glad to see him go.

Sean McDermott came in and fired Everybody, including his boss Dough Whaley. Oddly, nobody reported anything about if Doug got along with McDermott or not. The old brass at one Bills drive aren't complaining any more. It is not clear how they feel about Sean McDermott or his ways of doing things or his personality or if he is a clown or not. No one asks them because they all got fired.

Sean McDermott remade the team how he wanted it with nobody resisting and undermining and leaking, and won the first playoff berth for the team in 17 years.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

There was and ever shall be only one 'Little Dougie'. ("Go Little Dougie!  He'll save us!")  Marrone can be 'Big Dougie.

Whaley is Lil Doug.

Just now, BadLandsMeanie said:

I think a lot of what is written in here is the story that was told to the public by one bills staff. It is exactly that with no real skepticism. 

Looking at it my way I see:

Marrone came in and many front office staff did not like him because he wanted to control and change things. This leaked out. He had friction with Whaley to the extent that there was an argument in public in camp. When he left it was kept no secret that many at One Bills drive were glad to see him go.

Rex Ryan came in and it was soon leaked that he was another one that butted heads with long serving staff at One Bills drive. He too had friction with Doug Whaley. It was made clear that staff at one bills drive thought him a clown and a buffoon. He got fired and it was made plain that many brass at one bills drive were glad to see him go.

Sean McDermott came in and fired Everybody, including his boss Dough Whaley. Oddly, nobody reported anything about if Doug got along with McDermott or not. The old brass at one Bills drive aren't complaining any more. It is not clear how they feel about Sean McDermott or his ways of doing things or his personality or if he is a clown or not. No one asks them because they all got fired.

Sean McDermott remade the team how he wanted it with nobody resisting and undermining and leaking, and won the first playoff berth for the team in 17 years.

Drain the swamp

9 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

That wasn't an extension. It was a paycut.

They paid him to stay here.

13 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

There is a bit of a difference here doncha think?

Not really.  Two crap QBs' services were retained. 

14 hours ago, JoeF said:

We're keeping Whaley and Brandon...that's all I would have needed to hear from Terry Pegula.  I would have opted out as well.  Remember when he confronted Monos and the clown show broke it up..

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/9/5/6110233/doug-marrone-buffalo-bills-officials

I admit Coach was an arse..but in hindsight, it was likely at least partially justified. 

Still a quitter. 

24 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

My question is this.....what is Whaley doing now?  I believe the answer is not a damn thing.  Now if he was soooooooo good he would be hired in SOME capacity no???  Bottom line Whaley had some hits, some misses and a dumpster fire to own up too when it came to speaking publicly, hence the reason he sits at home......

Still, I would say Lil Doug has a better chance of finding another job in the NFL than Russ. :lol:

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Or we given too much power to a first time head coach.  McDermott is basically Beane’s boss and has final say on all decisions.  That’s what worries me about our offensive decisions.  They are being made by a defensive coach.  

It should always be the GM hiring the coach and not vice Versa.  

He's a defensive based coach, but anyone who had the title of "Assistant Head Coach" with ANDY REID for so long surely has learned a few things about offense.

16 minutes ago, Gugny said:

They paid him to stay here.

Not really.  Two crap QBs' services were retained. 

Gug dig deeper

McDermott needed to "evaluate his roster"

Then he did

Then he traded him for a 3rd round pick......and escaped the money that Tyrod was going to get paid

he did alright here

Bortles is just bad at football....and is still on that team.

• Like (+1) 1

I think there are a lot of bitter fans here. Rightly so probably. But the bottom line is I do think Marrone had this team on the upswing. EJ was not Marrone's QB. That's clear since he didn't hesitate to bench him early in his second year. Marrone might be a prick, but that doesn't mean he can't be a great coach. Is there a bigger prick then the guy in New England? 

That said, we have McDermott now and hopefully he continues to get the best out of our players just as Marrone did for us and is doing for Jacksonville now.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Augie said:

Dougy was not a long term guy I’d be happy with. Not a horrible coach, but I like where we are today. 

One of my biggest issues with Maroon was that he was touted as an Offensive Line genius.

Yet he started Cyril Richardson over Kraig Urbik. :wacko:

I don't miss him at all.

8 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I never blamed Marrone for leaving. It was not a good situation in Buffalo and he has a family to look out for. 

He is not that much different than McDermott. Fortunately, McDermott's situation is on the upswing with him and Beane now running the show.

This is true. They had plenty of talent and an awesome defense with Schwartz.

The “family” argument is an excuse.  Mike Mularkey used the same excuse to get out of Buffalo.