RD 4, Pick 121: Taron Johnson DB - Weber State

4 hours ago, Flutie Flakes said:

Before you comment that the guy is subpar in athleticism, watch his combine film.  Pretty impressive IMHO.  

He can tackle too. Now we got Tre, Taron, Vontae, Siran, Micah and Jordan roaming around in our secondary and all of them know how to hit, very scary if you're a receiver or a running back.

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/28/2018 at 12:03 PM, njbuff said:

This is the problem with predicting these picks..................

Who the heck had this kid on their radar?

I am done trying to predict these things. I have no idea.

I learned not to bother. Doesn't help I don't watch CFB.

Have no problem with DBs they are hands down are strongest unit. Fielding a team with a dominant unit between o line, skill players, front 7 or DBs is a game changer. Just beefing up one unit like that wins games.. like it did last year. Dallas has the line, philly the front 7, Steelers the skill positions, and bills and jags get by with dominant secondaries. Limit the turnovers and let your strengths win the game. Don't spread the money around for half baked units JMO, those are the Juaron bills in a nutshell.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

42 minutes ago, Will-GM-for-food said:

I mean technically you can have less than 11, although it is not strongly recommended

ask Rex and Rob how that works and when is the best time to implement " 10 maybe 12 " guys out there method of scheming.
 Befuddles the Opponent

• Haha (+1) 2

16 hours ago, JoeF said:

Found this Tony Pauline write up about both Johson and Neal

http://draftanalyst.com/senior-bowl-risers-defense

McDermott spent all his time watching the DB's :-)

Good find, and Pauline nails it with early Day 3 and Nickel Corner, which is where he would play this year with Vontae on the side opposite Tre. Plus, as he noted, Johnson doesn't have the length to play outside CB in McD's scheme, IMO. So, he can man the corner in conjunction with Phillip Gaines and then next year Bills take an outside CB maybe or if one comes via FA, they'll have a ton of Cap space. 

6 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Don't know too much about this kid but looks intriguing. Hope he can partner Tre White for the long haul.

I don't know of course, but this kid strikes me as a nickel/slot guy who might be versatile enough to swing outside when needed, not the long term replacement for Davis, who is on a one year deal.  They could strike lightening, you never know.  I expect they will be looking to draft a corner high (first  2/3 rounds at least) in next years draft for the other starting outside spot long term.

17 hours ago, JoeF said:

Found this Tony Pauline write up about both Johson and Neal

http://draftanalyst.com/senior-bowl-risers-defense

McDermott spent all his time watching the DB's :-)

That's encouraging.

Both the DB's that this analyst/evaluator thought that helped themselves the most and impressed throughout the Senior bowl practices/game were the mid round guys we drafted.

Good to see.    I'm hopeful

6 hours ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

We should always trust McDermott when it comes to DB's. Being compared to Brandon Flowers can never be a bad thing.

I thought he was a reach in the 4th round, but like you say I will trust McD's evaluations of dbs. 

On 4/28/2018 at 1:56 PM, Rise Up Lights said:

Great fit.

Buffalo with E.J. Gaines 2017:       8 -3 / 20 ppg allowed

Buffalo without E.J. Gaines 2017: 1 - 4 / 30.4 ppg allowed

Not sure if the correlation is related directly to Gaines playing in those games, but he definitely seemed to be a factor in the defenses performance. Taron Johnson has a similar skill set to Gaines and hopefully he can have a similar impact on this defense.

Hmmm, or we could have just resigned EJ Gaines

9 hours ago, MDFan said:

I don't know of course, but this kid strikes me as a nickel/slot guy who might be versatile enough to swing outside when needed, not the long term replacement for Davis, who is on a one year deal.  They could strike lightening, you never know.  I expect they will be looking to draft a corner high (first  2/3 rounds at least) in next years draft for the other starting outside spot long term.

I wouldnt worry about that

The bills love Davis....I fully expect that to be a longer term partership to match with Tre.

9 hours ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

We should always trust McDermott when it comes to DB's. Being compared to Brandon Flowers can never be a bad thing.

So much this. I will never, ever question McDermott about his selections at CB, S, or LB. I just won't. The man knows what he is doing.

Now, over on the OFFENSIVE side of the ball? Like, say, at wide receiver?......that's a whole other ball of wax.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, DrDare said:

Hmmm, or we could have just resigned EJ Gaines

Availability was a big problem with EJ Gaines, so that was probably the factor for not re-signing him..  When he played, he was good.  But durability matters; if he's not available, doesn't matter how good the player is.