Did the Bills REALLY get their guy?

Scorp83

16 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I believe you no know how to write good.  And if they felt Darnold was the guy they had to have they would have moved up to 2.

And the one thing I think is crystal clear from what we've seen of Beane and McD is they never panic

Are you sure about that? He's getting praised for getting Edmonds but it wouldn't have happen if the draft didn't fall the way it did, all the teams couldn't pass on their players so they wasn't trading. Beane clearly tells Chris Brown that if Chubb didn't fall to Denver, we wouldn't have Edmonds cause I was clearly going to give them the 22nd pick to move to 5. 

Hey it's a good thing for Edmonds but it's clear, once Darnold (Their guy) went off the board... they didn't want to lose their 3rd guy...

9 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Because Beane came into the draft expecting to get one specific player with no backup plan lol. /s

Read my previous post 

12 hours ago, D521646 said:

I think that for what the Bills were realistically willing to pay, they got the guy that was available to them when the rubber hit the road.  ;)

Tim-

It was bound to happen no matter who we got, and no matter what we ended up paying for him.  That is the life of a Bills Message board member.  ;)

Tim-

No...if we'd got Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield... I think we're feeling very confident right now. But we dont...& it's back on the "Wheel of uncertainty" for us

5 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

Are you sure about that? He's getting praised for getting Edmonds but it wouldn't have happen if the draft didn't fall the way it did, all the teams couldn't pass on their players so they wasn't trading. Beane clearly tells Chris Brown that if Chubb didn't fall to Denver, we wouldn't have Edmonds cause I was clearly going to give them the 22nd pick to move to 5. 

Hey it's a good thing for Edmonds but it's clear, once Darnold (Their guy) went off the board... they didn't want to lose their 3rd guy...

Read my previous post 

No...if we'd got Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield... I think we're feeling very confident right now. But we dont...& it's back on the "Wheel of uncertainty" for us

Yes.  I am absolutely sure Beane and McD do not panic.  Look at how they work, and quit trying to make something out of nothing.

And we'd be uncertain with any of these QBs because they haven't played a second in the NFL.  And I say that as one who would have preferred Rosen.

If you listen to Beane in the BB PC Josh Allen was their guy all along and a perfect fit in Buffalo. A big guy like Wentz, Cam Newton with an even bigger arm, played in the cold, snow and wind at Wyoming.

Beane stated they got off the plane in Wyoming to meet and greet the kid and the weather conditions it was like they never left Buffalo.

Josh Allen was their guy...and I even question if it wasn't someone the Buffalo Bills know who released those tweets so the kid would drop in the draft. It was also clear that the Bills were fighting some other teams in a bidding war to get Allen as they paid a pretty stiff price to secure him. Could have been Miami, Arizona, and even NE.

At the same time, nobody wanted Josh Rosen as Arizona didn't need to pay much to move up to get him.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

And you know this how? It may be possible that Darnold was their first choice, but the Bills had been linked to Allen for months. Regardless, let's rejoice that the Broncos bailed on the initial trade agreement when Chubb was still on the board; otherwise, Edmunds would have been unavailable.

12 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I don't think we know who "their" guy was.  "Their" meaning McBeane and Co.

I think we know who Pegula's guy was, and they drafted him.

What's wrong with some Bills fans? The Bills didn't draft the guy THEY liked so suddenly the owner made the pick?

Listening to Kim Pegula on the NFL Network a few days before the draft she stated that they were deeply involved in every aspect of the draft process except for the selection process. Because although they do watch film they have no idea what they are looking at...so they let the people that do know make the selections. Her Words! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Are people really questioning if Allen was their guy?!?

Even people draft it was widely known Bills loved him. After the draft it comes out they weren't high on the California kids and Darnold sucked at Bills private workout. 

If Bills had first overall, they would have drafted Allen. McBeane loves the kid and trustes his coaching staff

19 hours ago, SCBills said:

Giants were, by all accounts, willing to deal for a haul.  If Darnold was their guy, they would've made the move (imo). 

Not true, according to Danny Amendola another tread on the board.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, vincec said:

Not true, according to Danny Amendola another tread on the board.

See that's one issue on this board...people think it's all an opinion... where I clearly separated the facts from "My thoughts" 

Thanks for posting this 

On 4/27/2018 at 11:22 AM, Scorp83 said:

Did the Bills REALLY get their guy? Or did they panic? 

I believed they panic! I believe they're guy was Darnold...then given the fact that they met with Mayfield about 4 times... i feel like they panic once Mayfield went 1st overall. The Giants probably told them no...Our guy is there, then the Jets...who really screwed us since the trade...take Darnold! Now people want to praise Beane for patients...Please! He was trying to trade with the Browns, The Broncos & the Colts...problem was...all those teams couldn't pass on the players that fell to them.

It's obvious that they had Allen over Rosen (Which is concerning imo) & it's just NO WAY they can tell me Allen is a better prospect then Rosen. How far apart were Allen & Rosen? I felt like they could hve sat there at 12 once "Their Guy" went off the board. When you watch Allen play...its just no way they can say... "He was our guy"

They panic... just like the other regime did with JP Losman. 

Thoughts? 

I remember you from the BBMB, and you were a terrible poster over there to. Glad to see you found your way over here to post more drivel. Always a ray of sunshine.

On 4/27/2018 at 2:33 PM, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

My thoughts are you're just so much smarter than people who do this for a living professionally.  You  no way more!

Why is it impossible, and I'm not saying he is, I disagree with him on this. However, why is it impossible that a fan could be smarter than the people who run these franchises?

They're essentially glorified gym teachers for the most part.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

15 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

See that's one issue on this board...people think it's all an opinion... where I clearly separated the facts from "My thoughts" 

Thanks for posting this 

Biggest lie I have ever heard. Every post you make is pure speculation, not fact. Your thoughts are rancid and subjective, and you post them like they are fact.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/27/2018 at 2:22 PM, Scorp83 said:

I believed they panic! I believe they're guy was Darnold...then given the fact that they met with Mayfield about 4 times... i feel like they panic once Mayfield went 1st overall. The Giants probably told them no...Our guy is there, then the Jets...who really screwed us since the trade...take Darnold! Now people want to praise Beane for patients...Please! He was trying to trade with the Browns, The Broncos & the Colts...problem was...all those teams couldn't pass on the players that fell to them.

It's obvious that they had Allen over Rosen (Which is concerning imo) & it's just NO WAY they can tell me Allen is a better prospect then Rosen. How far apart were Allen & Rosen? I felt like they could hve sat there at 12 once "Their Guy" went off the board. When you watch Allen play...its just no way they can say... "He was our guy"

Thoughts? 

He was trying to trade up with those teams to draft Allen, your alleged “our guys” were gone. Beane was concerned about other teams moving ahead of him. Arizona was reportedly trying to move up for Allen. It was rumored the Bills wanted Allen all along.

What would have happened if he fell to Miami? The Ravens and Patriots were said to want a QB. That’s not panicking that’s going after your guy.

You’re bitter because you wanted Rosen. I get it but my guess is Beane and his scouts did at least a year of due diligence.

I think I’ll defer to their expertise until proven incorrect.

Teams bittered on Rosen for some reason and the Bills were not the only team to pass on him.

Lastly, they likely knew what Cleveland was doing prior to the draft. These teams talk to each other and it was no surprise,so why panic?

Let it go, let’s see how Allen pans out.

Edited by dlonce

1 hour ago, Scorp83 said:

Thanks for posting this 

This was known shortly after. The Bills weren't getting to pick 2. They had a deal worked out with DEN since last Sunday, contingent on who was left on the board. The Broncos felt Chubb was too good to pass up, so they didn't execute the trade. It was likely a more expensive deal, so it was a fortunate turn of events. AZ was trying to move up for Allen, so Beane pulled the trigger at that point. Would they have paid to move up to # 2 if it was available? Maybe. For which player ? Mayfield or Darnold or either? We can't know this. What we do know is that they didn't want Rosen. So yes, they got their guy. At least out of who was available. I don't think Rosen would have been there at 12 if they had waited, and if he was I'm not sure they would take him. I really think they didn't like something about Rosen and would have went a different route. Maybe Edmunds at 12 and Jackson at 22. We'll never know if Mayfield or Darnold was higher on their board. 

We'll never know for sure, but from all the reporting it seems they had Darnold as their top guy followed by Allen.  The gap wasn't large enough to give up the farm to move up for Darnold so they had a deal in place with the Broncos at #5 comfortable that Allen would be there.  When Chubb fell to the Broncos the deal was off so they called the Bucs who indicated they were more than happy to trade the pick the week before the draft.  It's worth noting that Beane hinted giving up a 1st was part of the deal with the Broncos that fell apart when Chubb dropped.

From what was reported, Arizona had Allen rated ahead of Rosen so it's likely the Bills had to outbid the Cardinals for the #7 spot.  Which they did and didn't have to give up this year's first or anything next year.  I'm not sold on Allen, but Beane gets an A plus in execution.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/27/2018 at 1:22 PM, Scorp83 said:

Thoughts? 

The only panic I see is you panicking as a fan.  Why would Beane panic sitting on  6 picks in 3 rounds?  The worse that could happen is you get 6 great prospects.   That is all any draft pick is, a prospect.  

They refused to to pay a Kings ransom to move to 2, 4, 5,etc.  They outbid AZ for Tampa’s pick and got Allen.  Arizona got the consolation prize.  

They might be wrong about Allen, but there was no panic.  

Edited by Bob in STL

Thoughts? 

Why not? all the top QBs drafted have questions on whether they can succeed....

On 4/28/2018 at 3:22 AM, Scorp83 said:

Thoughts? 

Darnold may have been their guy, but no way did they panic. They had to know the odds were miniscule they'd get Darnold. Miniscule. Why would you panic when the expected happens? You wouldn't.

And they actually CAN tell you Allen is a better prospect than Rosen, as plenty, a majority before the draft, thought so. The people like Peter King who had many contacts on scouting staffs and the results were the same across if I remember three reports, with King being one. Allen was the #1 or the #2, with Darnold as the #2 or #1. 

Feel free to disagree. It's reasonable. But there really is a way to say Allen's a better prospect than Rosen. It's extremely reasonable.

I wanted Rosen, personally, but the fact that the fans liked Allen least means little or nothing.

Edited by Thurman#1

Thoughts? 

Thoughts? It’s difficult to accept the opinion of someone who lacks basic communication skills.

• Like (+1) 1