Rosen or Darnold? Who's your pick?

10 hours ago, White Linen said:

I don't want either.   We have too many holes to worry about QB.

I cant for the life of me understand this thought process. We have a very rare opportunity to get something we haven't had in decades, and we want to fill holes instead? What happens if those guys pan out? We go 3 years with a loaded roster that's missing a quarterback, then we lose at least half of them in free agancy when we have to pay them. Meanwhile our offense is mid tier at best. I just don't get it. 

10 hours ago, kdiggz said:

Everyone who wants Darnold, consider this. He would have been on the bench and this would be his first season as a starter in college if Rosen had gone to USC instead of UCLA. Rosen was the #1 QB in the country and the top recruit in California. A 5 star recruit.

At the Elite 11 camp, Rosen is selected and Darnold is not. Ricky Town is also selected and he is the USC Trojan's top QB recruit. Darnold is the other QB in the class and a lot wasn't expected of him. He might have sat behind Town but Town decided to leave USC because Cody Kesller was the starter and he wanted to play. Darnold redshirted and waited for his turn. Then he had 1 good season and 1 not as good season and now he's NFL ready? I don't buy it. He might have been on the bench at USC if things didn't fall his way.

This is definitely a concern of mine with Darnold. Didn't start till late in high school and only has 2 years starting in college. He is going to be a potential NFL starter with 3 seasons played between high school and college. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, ColdFront_USAF said:

This is definitely a concern of mine with Darnold. Didn't start till late in high school and only has 2 years starting in college. He is going to be a potential NFL starter with 3 seasons played between high school and college. 

That's exactly right. It's can't be overstated how Rosen played at the top high school in the country traveling all over the US and playing the best of the best schools. Then he went to UCLA and was the man right from the start as a true freshman and has 3 yrs experience at the college level. Not to mention Elite 11 and the Manning passing camps where he shined. That's waaaay more experience than Darnold. He's the Chosen One for a reason

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, essential said:

rosen_buff.jpg

Not only do I think Rosen will be better, I think he's a better fit for what we want to run on offense, and we can get him later, keeping more picks.  Yes, there is a slight injury concern, but I think it's overblown, and I'm not worried about it.

I would be happy with any of the 3, not just Darnold or Rosen. The thing about the injury thing being overblown is that others, namely other GMs, think the same thing which makes me believe a hefty price will have to be paid to get him from where we are now. The third option of course being Mayfield.

Edited by buffalo2218

12 hours ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Rosen for me but Darnold's durability and his improvisation skills are unreal. No QB prospect has had a college performance that's sniffing's Darnold's Rose Bowl performance v Penn St

Really? Just watched the tape, not impressed. Half the passes are screens. Then a lot of running around not sure what to do oh there's a guy I'll throw it to him. Looks sloppy. Not a lot here that translates to the NFL. You need someone who can win from the pocket, not someone who runs around and tries to improvise. That can lead to disaster, as it has with his turnover problem.

If I had to pick between the two: Darnold.

However, I am in favor of moving up to get Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield.  If this is not possible, roll the dice with Allen at 12 if there.

In case none of the top 4 can be selected, then Jackson or Rudolph at 22.  This is a break glass in case of emergency option.

1 hour ago, ColdFront_USAF said:

For clarifaction, it's not what I expect to happen. Just the narrative being sent out by the media, which as we all know has little to no bearing on reality. 

Yep.  I always smile when the media gurus talk about guys rising and falling.  Mostly they don't - not on team draft boards.  Players' stock rise and fall in the media because they  come to realize they've initially rated a guy too high or too low.   Team draft boards have a lot less movement than media draft boards.  

The only reasons a player's stock will rise or fall is because they have a surprisingly good or bad workout or something else happens (they break their ankle playing b-ball or get arrested).  

Talking about rising and falling draft stock is mostly just media drama.  

3 minutes ago, Loosh said:

Rosen has more talent.  Darnold is the safer pick.  I'd go with Rosen because life is short.

Rosen is more polished, but has durability issues.  Imo, Darnold's ceiling is higher, so he's my first choice.

On 4/22/2018 at 5:28 AM, kdiggz said:

Really? Just watched the tape, not impressed. Half the passes are screens. Then a lot of running around not sure what to do oh there's a guy I'll throw it to him. Looks sloppy. Not a lot here that translates to the NFL. You need someone who can win from the pocket, not someone who runs around and tries to improvise. That can lead to disaster, as it has with his turnover problem.

I'm still Team Darnold > Rosen (though neither is my #1 guy), but this performance wasn't nearly as good as I remembered lol. Seems like it's his version of the overrated Rosen vs. A&M game.

10 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I'm still Team Darnold > Rosen (though neither is my #1 guy), but this performance wasn't nearly as good as I remembered lol. Seems like it's his version of the overrated Rosen vs. A&M game.

Watching more of his 2017 tape again, I still like Darnold quite a bit. His footwork is pretty horrifying though. It's a testament to his abilities that he's as productive as he is while setting his feet to throw maybe like 20% of the time but I think he's going to be a bust if he can't fix his footwork. A lot of potential there for him to increase his ball velocity if he gets his mechanics right (and I'm not even talking about the loopy throwing motion; that's an eyesore but the footwork is way more important).