Micah Hyde: NFL should fine QBs when WRs sustain helmet to helmet hits

Jesus WEO...

I think it's only fair to fine the QB if you are going to fine the defender, because I'm sick of the defenders getting constant blame.

Come on, if a QB throws the ball low, and the WR dives for it, and the DB can't adjust in time, it is ludicrous to think that the DB should share all the blame. And yet, they routinely do.

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Tyrod would lose a lot of money if they implemented a rule like this.

Actually, no, he wouldn't.  Tyrod would wait until the receiver was 'college open' to throw the ball.  These plays that Hyde is referring to occur in tight windows with little time to react.

This was tongue in cheek but there is some truth to this.  My senior year of high school, I was the only receiver we threw to.  So I would have a cb, Lb, and S bracketing me.  Our Qb would call fades and float the ball.  Basically he set me up to get killed.  But it was my job to catch the ball.  I don’t think any qb tries to get a guy killed but they are just trying to complete passes but often they throw they in really dangerous places.

Don’t forget about the QB sneak where he leads with his helmet...there is just all kinds of “fail” in the new rule...I mean, aren’t you taught from grade school that “low man wins” in football? It’s like the people making this rule have never seen  a game in their lives before.

18 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I'm being an idiot. I just think quarterbacks leave their WRs out to dry sometimes. Obviously the DBs can defend these passes better.

plus.. Micah Hyde is like my favorite Bill right now.

i seriously doubt a QB is throwing a pass with intent to have his man put out for the rest of the season or life

sometimes it may have happened...

22 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i seriously doubt a QB is throwing a pass with intent to have his man put out for the rest of the season or life

sometimes it may have happened...

I'm not saying intent. Just recklessness.

That would be an insane story to break if a QB was doing that.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

19 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

EJ’s specialty 

Or the pass that got our hot new WR prospect injured in the last game of his first preseason...

8 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Don’t forget about the QB sneak where he leads with his helmet...there is just all kinds of “fail” in the new rule...I mean, aren’t you taught from grade school that “low man wins” in football? It’s like the people making this rule have never seen  a game in their lives before.

This is all an over-reaction. They dont even have the rule hashed out or published yet, so there is nothing to "fail". The league was clear from the start that they would publish a clarification in May. However, league officials have made it clear that it will be focused on when players lead with the crown of their helmet. It will not apply to things like QB sneaks, or when heads drop while already contacted and going to the ground.

This is not a major change to the game. It's how it was played before the advent of the bull **** "human missile" in the late90s/early00s. Going back to real tackling where players keep their heads up through contact. That's all. Easy.

9 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Be sure--he's flat out blaming the QBs:   "Start fining the quarterbacks. They're the ones who are throwing the ball right there."

It's the DBs fault when he leads with his helmet.

This is saying to the QBs: "don't throw the ball where the DB might lead with his helmet and try to ring the WRs bell".  It's as silly as it sounds--as though there is such a pass.

We aren't talking simply about "getting the WR killed" with a bad throw that leads to a WR getting leveled.  We are talking specifically about head shots.

That was a perfectly thrown TD pass from Warner to Boldin.  The second defender closed in while the long pass was in the air and then he CHOSE to hit Boldin in the head with his helmet.

That's the literal interpretation.  I don't believe that was what he was trying to convey.

Micah believes the NFL is asking the impossible task of players who are already reacting a second late to have perfect body control every time they tackle another super human and never make accidental contact.  If the defenders are asked to do the impossible, why aren't QB's?

12 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Be sure--he's flat out blaming the QBs:   "Start fining the quarterbacks. They're the ones who are throwing the ball right there."

It's the DBs fault when he leads with his helmet.

This is saying to the QBs: "don't throw the ball where the DB might lead with his helmet and try to ring the WRs bell".  It's as silly as it sounds--as though there is such a pass.

We aren't talking simply about "getting the WR killed" with a bad throw that leads to a WR getting leveled.  We are talking specifically about head shots.

That was a perfectly thrown TD pass from Warner to Boldin.  The second defender closed in while the long pass was in the air and then he CHOSE to hit Boldin in the head with his helmet.

The Peyton pass though? Was a clean hit by the DB too, he threw it right at the contact point with that noodle arm

4 hours ago, jmc12290 said:

That's the literal interpretation.  I don't believe that was what he was trying to convey.

Micah believes the NFL is asking the impossible task of players who are already reacting a second late to have perfect body control every time they tackle another super human and never make accidental contact.  If the defenders are asked to do the impossible, why aren't QB's?

Because the QBs job is to throw the ball to the WR.  There is no way he can throw it or not throw it to prevent the DB from chosing to lay an illegal hit on the WR.

There is no pass that forces a DB to lead with his helmet to a WR's helmet.