The young receiver crisis and Giants-Lauletta - SI piece

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/10/draft-wide-receiver-wr-first-round-busts-kyle-lauletta-jimmy-garoppolo-chad-kanoff-princeton

So where could Lauletta end up? The Patriots connection is thrown around because of their investment in Garoppolo, but there is a lot of interest around the league in Lauletta. He’ll end up getting drafted by a team that prioritizes quick decision-making, fast release and defensive recognition. To me, that would put the Giants and Cardinals in the mix, and I would put the New Orleans Saints as a serious suitor. (The Giants and Cardinals, by the way, have come up multiple times when asking around about second- and third-round quarterbacks.)

Just watched some video of Lauletta and was pleasantly surprised..is it the lack of competition he was playing or is he just that much better? Guess that's the question being asked by all the scouts..he sure impressed me...good post McBride

6 minutes ago, Paulmac said:

Just watched some video of Lauletta and was pleasantly surprised..is it the lack of competition he was playing or is he just that much better? Guess that's the question being asked by all the scouts..he sure impressed me...good post McBride

He looks good, the question marks are arm strength and the level of his competition....he may be another QB who can't develop enough zip to fit the ball into tight NFL windows to make the completions he's used to making in college

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He looks good, the question marks are arm strength and the level of his competition....he may be another QB who can't develop enough zip to fit the ball into tight NFL windows to make the completions he's used to making in college

forget level of competition..if it was not a concern for Wentz should not be a concern of Kyle. CAA is the strongest conference in FCS, Kyle lit up UVA two years back( i know, not much ) 24-35, 337yds, 3 tds... and BC chickened out of a game they committed to with Richmond last year, ostensively cause they were concerned Kyle ( and the Spiders) would light em up.

I am sure I have seen more of Kyle in person than any scout in the NFL as a Spider SRH.Now I am no football scout, but as I have been saying for two years..you can just tell in person that Kyle does not the same velocity and zip on the ball as you see in the NFL. At least that what it looks like to me. But he is smart, makes good decisions, and is accurate as hell! I really have no clue if he will be successful or not, but I can only tell ya what I have seen in person.

Hope he ends up with Bills, just cant see it happening with AJ and Nate on the roster..

BTW, last time a QB with Richmond connections was in play in the draft, Russell Wilson was pretty convinced the Bills were going to draft him and was shocked when they did not...and yes that is fact

22 minutes ago, Paulmac said:

For what it's worth, he carved the defense up at the Senior Bowl as well which was obviously a much higher level of competition.

Just now, DCOrange said:

For what it's worth, he carved the defense up at the Senior Bowl as well which was obviously a much higher level of competition.

Not really. Defenses are limited in the Senior Bowl.  His Richmond game film was not very impressive to me. 

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

What team doesn't prioritize "quick decision-making, fast release, and defensive recognition"?

I guess any team that doesn't prioritize a franchise QB...

I can think of one team whose past regimes didn't...

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not really. Defenses are limited in the Senior Bowl.  His Richmond game film was not very impressive to me. 

I understand the schemes they use are limited, but the players are clearly far better than what he faced at Richmond. At any rate, you can tell from watching him both at Richmond and at the Senior Bowl that his accuracy will translate. The question is if his decision-making and arm strength will be sufficient in the NFL.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Sad 1

My point about Lauletta is actually Bills-related: if the Giants are indeed interested, that's a good omen for a Bills' trade-up scenario. Given their needs, the only way the Giants are gonna draft him is if they have a lot of picks. We can help them get there!

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Sounds familiar...

3 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

Sounds familiar...

It does, doesn't it? though people who have watched him, and watched Peterman told me Lauletta does have significantly better arm.

I wish I understood what "arm strength" is to a QB and how/what to improve.  I naively thought that maybe a QB could do strength training and build it up - and that must be part of it.  But there must be more to it, just like there's more than strength to building a good shot putter or volleyball hitter.

OTOH, it can be improved - one of the big knocks on Tom Brady and Joe Montana in college IIRC was "noodle arm" but they improved.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

He has decent size 6' 2-5/8", 222 lbs with 9 5/8 inch hands.

He threw the ball only 52 mph at the combine.

Similar in many ways to Peterman (53 mph) and AJ McCarron (53 mph)

Throwing the long out will be tough for this guy without the velocity.

2 minutes ago, turftoe said:

He has decent size 6' 2-5/8", 222 lbs with 9 5/8 inch hands.

He threw the ball only 52 mph at the combine.

Similar in many ways to Peterman (53 mph) and AJ McCarron (53 mph)

Throwing the long out will be tough for this guy without the velocity.

52 isn't terrible. It's not disqualifying.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I have to say I am impressed 26.  You are consistent from thread to thread.  If you don't like a guy, you don't like him, and you are not swayed.  I like Lauletta a lot.  Hoping the Bills get him, even if they end up drafting 2 QBs.  I would hate to see him go to the Patriots.  I think Lauletta is going to be a guy that ends up in the first round, and will be a shock to fans, but the NFL guys won't be.

Just now, PIZ said:

I have to say I am impressed 26.  You are consistent from thread to thread.  If you don't like a guy, you don't like him, and you are not swayed.  I like Lauletta a lot.  Hoping the Bills get him, even if they end up drafting 2 QBs.  I would hate to see him go to the Patriots.  I think Lauletta is going to be a guy that ends up in the first round, and will be a shock to fans, but the NFL guys won't be.

Good. That'll mean a prospect who should be drafted in somewhere in rounds 4-6 will be gone early.  I seriously doubt it though. 

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

Kyle Lauletta is this draft's Nate Peterman.

Probably correct, actually despite last years debacle I would rather have Peterman than Kyle.

I wouldn't draft him, I am not a big arm guy but he doesn't have close to an NFL are and never will.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Agree 100%.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

forget level of competition..if it was not a concern for Wentz should not be a concern of Kyle. CAA is the strongest conference in FCS, Kyle lit up UVA two years back( i know, not much ) 24-35, 337yds, 3 tds... and BC chickened out of a game they committed to with Richmond last year, ostensively cause they were concerned Kyle ( and the Spiders) would light em up.

I am sure I have seen more of Kyle in person than any scout in the NFL as a Spider SRH.Now I am no football scout, but as I have been saying for two years..you can just tell in person that Kyle does not the same velocity and zip on the ball as you see in the NFL. At least that what it looks like to me. But he is smart, makes good decisions, and is accurate as hell! I really have no clue if he will be successful or not, but I can only tell ya what I have seen in person.

Hope he ends up with Bills, just cant see it happening with AJ and Nate on the roster..

BTW, last time a QB with Richmond connections was in play in the draft, Russell Wilson was pretty convinced the Bills were going to draft him and was shocked when they did not...and yes that is fact

I think you mean destensively.   They were afraid their destense couldn't hold up.   No need for big words though,  just say they chickened out.

The concern with Lauletta is that he is like Lil' Nay Pete or Trevor Simien........quick to get the ball out doesn't mean results will be good.    Those dudes throw to spots and whichever team is there usually gets a catchable ball.

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

52 isn't terrible. It's not disqualifying.

Then is has to be worse for a number of other QBs who threw at the Combine.   Outside of Allen and Mayfield his was throwing as hard as anyone else.  Much harder and sharper than Rudolph.  Check the Combine throwing session.  Apples to apples

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

He’ll end up getting drafted by a team that prioritizes quick decision-making, fast release and defensive recognition.

The media is funny. Are there teams that don't prioritize those things in a quarterback? Maybe Buffalo last year but what a way to say something without saying anything. 

13 minutes ago, buffalostu2 said:

Then is has to be worse for a number of other QBs who threw at the Combine.   Outside of Allen and Mayfield his was throwing as hard as anyone else.  Much harder and sharper than Rudolph.  Check the Combine throwing session.  Apples to apples

Deshaun Watson was 49. So was Mike Glennon. Tyrod was 50. 

You'd rather have it 55+, but there are enough solid qbs over time to suggest that you can survive in the low 50s if you're good at everything else. It's not like he's being taken in the first round.  

https://birdbreakdown.com/2014/03/03/qb-velocity-rankings-nick-foles-has-an-objectively-strong-arm/

Josh Allen hit 62!

Lamar Jackson? 49. I don't see the Bills being interested in him.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/08/josh-allen-baker-mayfield-top-qb-velocity-during-combine-throwing-session/

Colt Brennan, though: 44!! I remember when he was a prospect after racking up huge numbers at Hawaii. 

Edited by dave mcbride

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Deshaun Watson was 49. So was Mike Glennon. Tyrod was 50. 

You'd rather have it 55+, but there are enough solid qbs over time to suggest that you can survive in the low 50s if you're good at everything else. It's not like he's being taken in the first round.  

https://birdbreakdown.com/2014/03/03/qb-velocity-rankings-nick-foles-has-an-objectively-strong-arm/

Josh Allen hit 62!

Lamar Jackson? 49. I don't see the Bills being interested in him.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/08/josh-allen-baker-mayfield-top-qb-velocity-during-combine-throwing-session/

Colt Brennan, though: 44!! I remember when he was a prospect after racking up huge numbers at Hawaii. 

IMO Combine ball speed is a farce.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

IMO Combine ball speed is a farce.

Well, I don't think it's a farce at all in the sense that it is a bona fide measurable. But of course it doesn't factor in how the situations in which qbs throw balls - which are never ideal. That is, they're under a lot of pressure and are often throwing off balance or moving. Game situations are totally different. 

Regardless, below 50 is low.

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Well, I don't think it's a farce at all in the sense that it is a bona fide measurable. But of course it doesn't factor in how the situations in which qbs throw balls - which are never ideal. That is, they're under a lot of pressure and are often throwing off balance or moving. Game situations are totally different. 

Regardless, below 50 is low.

These guys are trying to throw the ball as hard as possible while doing QB-WR drills at the combine. IMO it's a nothing number.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

These guys are trying to throw the ball as hard as possible while doing QB-WR drills at the combine. IMO it's a nothing number.

Here's where I disagree with you slightly - if you don't have decent velocity, you will by definition HAVE to put air under deep outs. Josh Allen doesn't need to do that. The rejoinder, of course, is, How many deep outs do QBs actually throw? And do they ALWAYS have to be on a rope? Probably not. We drafted JP Losman because he could "make all the throws", but it didn't help him. 

Edited by dave mcbride

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Here's where I disagree with you slightly - if you don't have decent velocity, you will by definition HAVE to put air under deep outs. Josh Allen doesn't need to do that. The rejoinder, of course, is, How many deep outs do QBs actually throw? And do they ALWAYS have to be on a rope? Probably not. We drafted JP Losman because he could "make all the throws", but it didn't help him. 

I would that judge only from game film and not from what occurs at the combine.