What If A QB Says No? Can They Say No Any More?

I was just wondering what if we trade up to #4 overall and then the QB we pick says he won't come?

I only remember Manning and Elway doing something like that.

It isn't impossible somebody wouldn't want to come here because if you are not a Bills fan it might seem like we really don;t have much of a team here at the moment.

Elway didn't want to play for the Colts because of bad ownership. Eli had issues with San Diego that were believed to be along those lines. Both QBs made this known before the draft and the teams drafted them anyway. Elway also had leverage because he could just decide to play baseball for the Yankees. I don't think you'll see any situations like these this year . 

I understand your thinking. I don't think Buffalo is the worst place you could end up as a Rookie. Not the greatest landing spot. Not the worst.

We are the prime destination for back up QBs to trying to be starters. 

• Like (+1) 1

Those were both guaranteed #1 picks so they had some leverage.  It's possible the quarterback holds out or demands a trade, but they're taking a chance of losing money and respect around the league.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I was just wondering what if we trade up to #4 overall and then the QB we pick says he won't come?

It isn't impossible somebody wouldn't want to come here because if you are not a Bills fan it might seem like we really don;t have much of a team here at the moment.

They could choose to not sign a contract and not play football, but I can't see that happening. Buffalo isn't a prime destination for sure, but we did make the playoffs last season and are in a good position to make a splash at the draft.

12 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

San Diego did end up with Rivers, so it didn't work out too bad for them.

26 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

This will not happen and I don't think we're perceived to have very little as a team.  

• Like (+1) 1

The league is in more of a power position in my opinion than in 83 and I think they want to keep that monopoly. The one thing more important than winning is money. If a guy would refuse to sign somewhere and their was no fair compensation the rest of the league could offer that team, I think they'd blackball that individual. The teams protect each other at the end of the day when it comes down to issues of player vs team. 

• Like (+1) 1

Actually, I really don't understand the legality of the draft.  From a legal perspective, why can't I work for who I want to work for?   I realize the teams are part of an association whose rules require the members (the teams) to abide by the draft rules, but these rules would make no sense in a commercial employment context.   Most states are right to work states (New York is an exception) and you can work for whoever makes the best offer.  That would of course turn football into baseball with a half dozen big city teams having all the players (and the league enforces the draft to avoid that), but still that is our employment system in this country. 

I guess my point is we are all free agents, all the time.   Why not stop the draft and have all the college guys be free agents day 1 ?  If I want Sam Darnold, why can't I go sign him?   Yeah the contracts of the best 20 guys would be out of control, but It would all work out in the end.   College football players aren't getting educations worth a crap anyway, so who cares if the NFL becomes the NBA in terms of underclassmen coming out?   it would all self correct as soon as a few 19 year olds get blown up playing in the NFL.  Thoughts?  

Edited by 8-8 Forever?

I remember a guy named Jim Kelly doing that. He had somewhere else he could go and get paid though.

25 minutes ago, 8-8 Forever? said:

Actually, I really don't understand the legality of the draft.  From a legal perspective, why can't I work for who I want to work for?   I realize the teams are part of an association whose rules require the members (the teams) to abide by the draft rules, but these rules would make no sense in a commercial employment context.   Most states are right to work states (New York is an exception) and you can work for whoever makes the best offer.  That would of course turn football into baseball with a half dozen big city teams having all the players (and the league enforces the draft to avoid that), but still that is our employment system in this country. 

I guess my point is we are all free agents, all the time.   Why not stop the draft and have all the college guys be free agents day 1 ?  If I want Sam Darnold, why can't I go sign him?   Yeah the contracts of the best 20 guys would be out of control, but It would all work out in the end.   College football players aren't getting educations worth a crap anyway, so who cares if the NFL becomes the NBA in terms of underclassmen coming out?   it would all self correct as soon as a few 19 year olds get blown up playing in the NFL.  Thoughts?  

What the NFL needs then is a minor league like baseball. Get rid of the charade, 'student' athletes who have no interest in school taking the place of people interested in learning; because that is what school is for. 

2 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

I heard on this website that a QB could hold out, and re-enter the draft next year. Is this true? If it is true, then did it change? I would have thought Kelly would have done it then?

Why would he sit out a year for nothing when he was offered buku bucks to play in another league?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 8-8 Forever? said:

The NFL draft is probably illegal. It's allowed to exist because the players and owners realize the mutual benefits of the competitive balance it provides. The NFL is run like a communist collectivity, with its revenue sharing amongst franchises and similar policies that have grown it into the premiere sports league. They don't want to have to deal with a minor league, so the College ranks are a de facto farm team for the clubs. Simply put, ending the draft would probably destroy the NFL as we know it. It's a well worn argument that the draft is likely illegal, but it works and enriches the league so it's been accepted as the way it is. 

6 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

How about we flip the script and convince all of the top 8 QBs to refuse to play anywhere EXCEPT Buffalo?  If we can manage this we only have to trade 7 th rounders and maybe guys like Kaelin Clay.  We trade Peterman to the Browns, Jets or Cards for a 2019 1st, stow a few guys on the practice squad and boom!

People need to get over their WNY inferiority complex. Would a player rather go to Cleveland? The Browns were winless and haven’t been competitive for years! The Jets? NYC isn’t anything to scream at and the Jets will always be the LA Clippers in that town. As I see it, I’d much rather step into Buffalo where the team just made the playoffs, the coach is young, the fan base is forgiving, and I get to be the biggest show in town. Sign me up!