Contract details: New England Patriots low-ball former Buffalo Bills receiver Jordan Matthews

HOUSE

Contract details emerged for former Bill and now Patriot Jordan Matthews, with the Patriots getting a heck of a deal.

By Skarekrow Apr 9, 2018, 2:30pm EDT

Jordan Matthews became the latest former Buffalo Bills skill position player to join the New England Patriots when it was reported last week that the wide receiver came to terms on a one year deal. Thanks to Albert Breer, the details of his new deal with the Patriots have emerged.

Per Breer, Matthews’ contract was for $1 million. The deal reportedly adds $700,000 in incentives. On the surface the $1.7 million deal looks like quite the bargain. The deal gets even better for the Patriots when we dive even deeper. The report also indicated that only $170,000 of the contract is guaranteed.

From our review of Matthews, there was plenty to like from the receiver out of the slot role, a position New England has typically leaned heavily on utilizing. For the Bills, Matthews would have been all but guaranteed playing time as a starter with the current receiver group in Buffalo needing an infusion of talent. The bargain price on Matthews makes his departure sting just a little bit more.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/4/9/17216088/contract-details-new-england-patriots-former-buffalo-bills-receiver-jordan-matthews

Edited by HOUSE

I always got the impression with Jordan Matthews that the Bills medical staff was privy to information that was not generally known to the rest of the league. A few weeks ago I heard Matthews himself admit that the Bills uncovered an undiagnosed degenerative leg issue last season.

10 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

I always got the impression with Jordan Matthews that the Bills medical staff was privy to information that was not generally known to the rest of the league. A few weeks ago I heard Matthews himself admit that the Bills uncovered an undiagnosed degenerative leg issue last season.

Actually iirc he said it was a misdiagnosed and poorly handled issue by the Eagle staff. We found it, supposedly fixed it and the Patties get to see if our medical staff did it's job.

Seeing what he signed for makes me think the Bills had no interest in bringing him back, or he had no interest in coming back. 

Otherwise why not offer him $2M, or even $1M fully guaranteed? Especially with the way our WR corps looks right now.   

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Seeing what he signed for makes me think the Bills had no interest in bringing him back, or he had no interest in coming back. 

Otherwise why not offer him $2M, or even $1M fully guaranteed? Especially with the way our WR corps looks right now.   

Agreed. This sounds like a contract his mom or Ricky Williams or Jordan Matthews himself negotiated.

26 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

...has to be.....$170,000 guaranteed?...hell the Rockpie Beerman makes more than that.......

• Haha (+1) 1

He get to play for a team that will most likely make the AFC Championship, at least. Im sure all contract incentives will be met if he stays healthy on a pass happy Pats team with Tom Brady. What is not to like if youre JM? End up in Cleveland for a few more bucks instead? A run-first team in Buffalo instead? 

Edited by bobobonators

On 4/9/2018 at 2:32 PM, HOUSE said:

This is great, now all his friends can watch him on TV :rolleyes:

hopefully his TV time includes one trip to the Superbowl, just to watch him and his hated team lose again!  this time to Aaron Rodgers,