2018 NHL Playoffs

Mark Vader

Twist the knife for the CBus folk.

What if one of those CBJ shots that pinged off the iron at the end of Game 3 had gone in? How different it might have been.

they were inches away, multiple times, of making it 3-0

but, they didn’t. Congrats Caps.

I'm happy for Ovi.  Also, I love that he said to hell with superstition and carried the Prince of Wales trophy away with him.

Vegas is a great story but I'm all-in for the Caps.

Washington should(should being the key word) be able to get past Vegas without too much trouble.  They are clearly the more talented team and it looks like they have finally found out how to play with championship level intensity and passion.  Very good series against Tampa, I hope the SCF can be as entertaining of a series 

38 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Washington should(should being the key word) be able to get past Vegas without too much trouble.  They are clearly the more talented team and it looks like they have finally found out how to play with championship level intensity and passion.  Very good series against Tampa, I hope the SCF can be as entertaining of a series 

Hockey is such a fickle game. Maybe i was nuts, but I thought Tampa the better team through the first two periods last, by a wide margin.Puck luck finally favored the Caps last night..finally

4 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

You can say that again.   

I mentioned that as a Lesson Learned.   Geek the foot on the gas (until you know they quit like last night mid through the 3rd   - oh sure they made it look good, but the fork had sunk deep) 

2 hours ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

I’m interested to see if we change it up. Maybe do the scene from Independence Day. 

We?     lol   I get a chuckle out of that.  

Curious -  How much did you bet on Vegas making it this far?  

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Hockey is such a fickle game. Maybe i was nuts, but I thought Tampa the better team through the first two periods last, by a wide margin.Puck luck finally favored the Caps last night..finally

The were taking shots, but they failed to Capitalize (pun intended) on what was.  

thats how they failed

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

We?     lol   I get a chuckle out of that.  

Curious -  How much did you bet on Vegas making it this far?  

The way they embraced our community and vice versa, especially after the October Shooting... I wouldn’t call the Golden Knights anything other than “We”. Hopefully sometime in the future, you will feel emotionally attached enough to a team that you would be comfortable calling them “we” or “us”. 

Between season tickets and random game bets here and there, I’m up about quite a bit. Wish I took the 500/1 odds at the beginning of the season though. Ugh! I’m almost up 10k, thanks to my knights. (If “we” made you chuckle, “My knights” probably makes you giggle shart right in your boxer briefs)

5 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

You saw the same game I did.  Washington basically did to the Lightening what pretty much everyone has done to the Capitals over the past few seasons.  Washington controls the puck, gets copious amounts of shots and great chances but doesn't finish.  Opponent scores a goal...and then another...and the another.  Caps  lose.

Holtby was great last night.

On 5/7/2018 at 8:22 AM, plenzmd1 said:

whats the general thought Dante about what the Sharks are going to do with Kane?  I am hoping they are going sign him, but guess that is up to Kane as well. My sense from 3,000 miles away is it seems like a good fit on both sides.? 

On 5/7/2018 at 9:15 AM, Dante said:

I would like to see them sign Kane. Let Thornton go as he is an FA this summer. Let Ward go. Make a serious bid for Taveras.

This morning they are saying that Kane is "Non-commital" on resigning. We didn't get too much out of Kane in the Vegas series as he is obviously still injured and no way 100%. Same with Danskoi for that matter.

Anyway, my fear is they don't sign Kane or Taveras. Sign Joe and extend Pavelski. Too slow.  Time to move on.

They are a nice team. Not going to be easy against the Knights. You don't get a inch and they are quick. 

Here is your answer...

https://www.nhl.com/sharks/news/sharks-re-sign-forward-evander-kane-to-a-seven-year-contract/c-298762900

:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

That's what everyone keeps and has been saying. I guess that's part of the Knights success. The element of surprise. The Cap's have no idea what they are in for. 

I watched the last few games of the Cap/TB series and it was full of mistakes compared to all three of the Knights series. Very few missed passes or assignments. 

I feel Washington won't be able to handle the quickness of Vegas. When I say quick I mean quick to the puck. Quick to the man. Very, very difficult team to have success against. You have to be just as quick as them and play mistake-free hockey. I don't think the Cap's are conditioned that way.

Vegas and it will take them 5 games

18 minutes ago, Dante said:

That's what everyone keeps and has been saying. I guess that's part of the Knights success. The element of surprise. The Cap's have no idea what they are in for. 

I watched the last few games of the Cap/TB series and it was full of mistakes compared to all three of the Knights series. Very few missed passes or assignments. 

I feel Washington won't be able to handle the quickness of Vegas. When I say quick I mean quick to the puck. Quick to the man. Very, very difficult team to have success against. You have to be just as quick as them and play mistake-free hockey. I don't think the Cap's are conditioned that way.

Vegas and it will take them 5 games

Man, I hope you’re right! I was stoked to just make the playoffs, now my heads spinning at the possibility of being Stanley Cup Champs. We need to start fast though... a lot of time off. 

35 minutes ago, B-Man said:

A city and industry created from nothing. Las Vegas is pretty cool.

Washington on the other hand, exists to house a mammoth bureaucracy pretty much useless from what I can tell. Unless you dig phony wars and having your paycheck raped for redistribution.

GO VEGAS!:thumbsup:

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Dante said:

A city and industry created from nothing. Las Vegas is pretty cool.

Washington on the other hand, exists to house a mammoth bureaucracy pretty much useless from what I can tell. Unless you dig phony wars and having your paycheck raped for redistribution.

GO VEGAS!:thumbsup:

Amen to that!

T-ts + Gambling >>>>>>>>>>>>>> politicians and statues of dead guys

Has anyone else noticed how hockey in these playoffs has gone back to traditional "real" hockey?  By that I mean we have seen genuine hatred by one team against another, personal feuds between a few players flaring up throughout a series, post-whistle scrums and shoving matches...fights...selfish fights born of emotion and with little regard to whether or not the ensuing penalty will hurt the team...

This stuff has been back in the playoffs b/c players are playing at 100% with emotion and are truly competing for victories.  

This is now the only time of the season when we see this.  It's completely absent from NHL regular season games now, and it's been that way for a long time.  20 or 30 years ago, the culture of the league was much different and we used to see this stuff all the time.  

It's interesting to note the rough stuff is still alive and well, despite most of the tough guys having been eliminated from the league.

Most NHL regular season games have the look/feel of an inconsequential pre-season game.  Players play at maybe 7/10 and seem to operate under an agreement, most nights, not to bother the other team too much and vice versa.  

Enjoy these playoffs while they last!  

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

Has anyone else noticed how hockey in these playoffs has gone back to traditional "real" hockey?  By that I mean we have seen genuine hatred by one team against another, personal feuds between a few players flaring up throughout a series, post-whistle scrums and shoving matches...fights...selfish fights born of emotion and with little regard to whether or not the ensuing penalty will hurt the team...

This stuff has been back in the playoffs b/c players are playing at 100% with emotion and are truly competing for victories.  

This is now the only time of the season when we see this.  It's completely absent from NHL regular season games now, and it's been that way for a long time.  20 or 30 years ago, the culture of the league was much different and we used to see this stuff all the time.  

It's interesting to note the rough stuff is still alive and well, despite most of the tough guys having been eliminated from the league.

Most NHL regular season games have the look/feel of an inconsequential pre-season game.  Players play at maybe 7/10 and seem to operate under an agreement, most nights, not to bother the other team too much and vice versa.  

Enjoy these playoffs while they last!  

If they played with playoff intensity from the outset they would be burned out and too injured by January. 

I agree with your observations about the season. There seems to be a gentlemens agreement to lay off the physical until the playoffs.  I think the better players on the top half of the league literally want to save themselves for a deep playoff run. IMHO this is caused by too many playoff rounds or games. One round too long if you ask me. 

The season is about 15-20 games too long as well for the type of sport it is. It would be like increasing the NFL sked to 35 games. No way.

I have always been here nor there on fighting. I don't miss it but I don't hate it either. I love the intensity and hitting though. What I don't like from 20 or 30 years ago(Dead Puck Era) is the Jaques LeMaire/ Roger Nielson "clutch and grab" horseshite that turned me off hockey for a while. I think what you are seeing as far as lack of contact the last few years is kind of a reaction against that style of play. Honestly I would rather watch a fast brand of hockey rather than a slowed down, constant clutch fest that we used to have to watch.

t

15 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The mayor has “remanded” the town Capitalville until the Stanley Cups are going on.   

If the Caps win he wants to hold a small parade.   

image.jpeg.ae39306e53bd6629ddd17f3d29c095a7.jpeg

That's a funny looking dude! Muriel Bowser, DC Mayor! I had seasons to the Caps for 3 years when i first moved to the District in 89. Could never root for them as my own team(Sabres of course), and Landover was a pain in da arse to get to from Adams  Morgan. Having said that, can't wait for the atmosphere in the city next week. 

After all their previous struggles to get to the final, I think it makes the Caps the perfect team to lose the finals to an expansion team.

If Holtby leaves as many loose  rebounds as he did against TB, he is going to get bombed.   Vegas really goes to the net well.   I hope they make the Sabres watch and point that out to them.

Holtby had what  3 pucks bounce off him in the last game but it is not typical for him.   

Ovie looks driven and has contributed to the team in more than scoring.  

I mainly watch hockey after the NFL season is over so I’m not making any bold predictions nor do I have any angst against any team other than the Penguins ?.  May they choke on the golf course as they did against WAS. ??

The only series I called was for CBJ to lose in 5.   

20 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

No not Murial.  

The mayor of lovettsville 

if it ain't the District..where is Lovettsville..way out west no? close to the Mississippi?

4 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

A damned shame that if Washington wins the cup, Marion Barry Jr. won't be able to ride along in the parade...about 19 cars back.

Mayor for Life Marion will be wtaching over from above

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/social-issues/still-bigger-than-life-dc-unveils-bronze-statue-of-former-mayor-marion-barry/2018/03/03/d77dfd60-1eee-11e8-9de1-147dd2df3829_story.html?utm_term=.7681b26ec240

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

21 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

No not Murial.  

The mayor of lovettsville 

if it ain't the District..where is Lovettsville..way out west no? close to the Mississippi?

50 miles west of DC. The tippy top of Virginia.  

10 miles east of Harpers Ferry and or 10 miles southwest of Frederick MD. 

18 miles from Charles Town Races and slots. 

But you probably already knew that

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

5 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

50 miles west of DC. The tippy top of Virginia.  

10 miles east of Harpers Ferry and or 10 miles southwest of Frederick MD. 

18 miles from Charles Town Races and slots. 

But you probably already knew that

I actually did not! Had an idea is all!. 

Damn, i cant wait till Monday for a game!

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/26/2018 at 7:45 PM, plenzmd1 said:

I actually did not! Had an idea is all!. 

Damn, i cant wait till Monday for a game!

Last night would have been a perfect day for the game as it turns out. No NBA to go against. Tonight is the final between GS and Houston as well isn't it?

3 hours ago, Dante said:

Last night would have been a perfect day for the game as it turns out. No NBA to go against. Tonight is the final between GS and Houston as well isn't it?

Not really....it was CLE vs BOS.

Yes... tonight it's GS vs HOU.

This time I'm on top of this ?

Edited by CowgirlsFan

11 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

How anybody can root for Washington, land of Lobbyists, I have no idea

Go Vegas.  Drain the swamp!

I am rocking the closest thing I have to a Jersey..A Red Washington Tee they gave out last year at a Wiz-Celts playoff game!

Go Caps!!!