2018 NHL Playoffs

Mark Vader

27 minutes ago, thebug said:

Justin Timberlake concert in Nashville tonight. 

I dont care about no damn concert..wife is out of town tonight, i had plans for buddies, beers, wings and Game 7...now they done gone and ruined that! And its all about me dag gonnit!

• Haha (+1) 2

On 5/7/2018 at 10:35 AM, jmc12290 said:

Well I was a little confused why you thought winning wasn't a positive as the alternative to winning is losing, and that would be a much bigger negative, IMO.

I do disagree a little bit though. When building a fan base, you have to get the kids. The 6-20s year old demographic. You get those fans by being winners, because kids love winners. Then they are fans for life. And their kids are fans.

Look at the Bills in the 90s and most of our fanbase. How many lifelong fans did that Super Bowl era beget? Versus the 2000-2010 era? 

You're right, no absolutes. But success out of the gate is a positive when it comes to growing a fan base, IMO.

Pretty interesting article here on the success of the Knights and the effect it could have on the fan base..its at the end but interesting read.Somewhat a blend of what you are saying here and what @eball and I think.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/23444016/2018-stanley-cup-playoffs-championship-too-much-too-soon-vegas-golden-knights-fan-base-nhl

11 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Oh... Thought it was 2.

Nice.  Too clean.  Perfect.  Neurotic isn't "cool."  "Chill" with a dirty van is. 

Culture appropriation!  You should be ashamed of yourself!

:D:P

J/K w/you.

LOL. 

He has a two-story warehouse full of classic cars. All mint condition. To be honest this guy is more of an acquaintance than a "friend".  I'm appropriating his props!

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

This "no hockey" for 2 straight nights is killing me.  

Should be a good game tomorrow, at least I hope so.

Would love to see Vegas keep winning.  

Jets already swept the Knights! You must have been looking on the wrong channels!

13 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Pretty interesting article here on the success of the Knights and the effect it could have on the fan base..its at the end but interesting read.Somewhat a blend of what you are saying here and what @eball and I think.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/23444016/2018-stanley-cup-playoffs-championship-too-much-too-soon-vegas-golden-knights-fan-base-nhl

I will take: How Bush League NHL Tinkers with Game for $1000 Alex.

The NHL doling out sweetheart rules of expansion for The Golden Kinghts and they win Stanley Cup in first year as this organization & fanbase chronically gets screwed by anything but sweetheat rules.

What are the Buffalo Sabres (fans kept on crooked leash forever.) "Skate in crease rule" "Institute a draft lottery rule to stop perceived tanking", etc.. etc..

Dummy me ??

Watched the first period of the Nashville and Winnipeg tonight,then discovered it was a replay.

GEEEZ and GRRRR.

Will try it again tomorrow night.

Edited by CowgirlsFan
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, CowgirlsFan said:

Dummy me ??

Watched the first period of the Nashville and Winnipeg tonight,then discovered it was a replay.

GEEEZ and GRRRR.

Will try it again tomorrow night.

You are the one that is usually on top of all this stuff! Surprised you got fooled!

6 minutes ago, CowgirlsFan said:

Always a first.?

I blame my out of sorts baseball team.

I knew something was amiss when the first period ended,they went to the commercial and the second period immediately began.?

Or when they say "This program has been edited due to time constraints".  Good bet it's not live.

What a lousy game last night.  After a really strong start to the playoffs, there have been quite a few lopsided games this year where you knew who was going to win pretty early on.  

I'm hoping for better tonight.

The NHL and its advertisers must LOVE this final four among mega super markets: Vegas, Winnipeg, Tampa and DC.  

I wish we could have somehow gotten a Vegas vs. Winnipeg final, as I'd like one of those teams to win it all.

Someone’s in a mood.  :D

Tampa was outscored 10-4 in total in their series openers. 

Now either they will get their crap together or Washington will win out.  

From what I heard NBCSN pushed for the Sunday 8 PM spot.  

So is it the NHL or the networks or both that want viewership?

Rooting for the Vegas Cinderella story.  Plus the Marc-Andre Fleury Penguins connection at this point

If Vegas should fall to Winnipeg I'll ride the Jets bandwagon.  It's been a quarter century since a Canadian team won the Stanley Cup

As long as Tampa doesn't make it to the cup I'm good, although I'd like the Jets to win it all after all they've been through in their franchise. Caps winning the cup would be fine here too though.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Rooting for the Vegas Cinderella story.  Plus the Marc-Andre Fleury Penguins connection at this point

If Vegas should fall to Winnipeg I'll ride the Jets bandwagon.  It's been a quarter century since a Canadian team won the Stanley Cup

Eh.   What do Canadians know about Hockey??

11 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

So.  How nice is it in Tampa that Caps fans rocking the RED are not allowed to sit in certain sections and mostly down by the ice.  

Is that common?

I know it isn’t in DC.  I see opponents colors by the glass frequently. 

Ole Teddy started the whole "no tix being sold to anyone with a zip outside the metro area" trend about 15 years ago.so karma no?

Caps best team left!

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

Thanks for letting me know.  

He might have changed it or maybe I’m recalling regular season.  

2nd intermission begins

Caps score 2 in the period.  

One by a penalty from the goalie for interference. 5 seconds later Caps score taking a 4-2 lead. 

I love how quiet Amalie Arena is... no way is tampa coming back in this series with the next two games on the road. Golden.

33 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Caps with 6-2 win.   Lead series 2-0 heading home to DC.   

I live 5 miles as the crow flies from Amalie Arena... I stepped outside and could smell the stench coming from there, had to come back in. Tampa is going down Stormy Daniels style... no way they win this series, kind of makes going to work just a little more fun.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, T&C said:

I live 5 miles as the crow flies from Amalie Arena... I stepped outside and could smell the stench coming from there, had to come back in. Tampa is going down Stormy Daniels style... no way they win this series, kind of makes going to work just a little more fun.

LOL. The stench of defeat.   

4 hours ago, Big C said:

This might be the Caps team we have been waiting for all these years. 

They do seem to be on a mission.    It seems as if the Tampa players gave up when the fans started to leave.  

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Fine, I'll say it: the Blue Jackets were clearly the second-best team in the Eastern Conference this postseason.

And they have a knack for losing to the champs ...

I'll say one thing.  They did put up a fight and played via the eye test better than the Pens and thus far the Lightning.  

9 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Thanks for letting me know.  

He might have changed it or maybe I’m recalling regular season.  

Ted was the first one who understood online ticket sales..and for one of the Penquin series, he instituted the metro zip code nonsense. Of course, it did not work as the majority of Pens fans in the arena were transplants living in the DMV! Never a ban on the gear though..that is getting like the Premier league!

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I'll say one thing.  They did put up a fight and played via the eye test better than the Pens and thus far the Lightning.  

Lets not forget the Pens were a OT Post away from a game 7..and that might not have gone so well when the ghosts of the Cap Center returned!

I dont think this series is over by a mile, although I do think the Caps are the best team left. They look great!

• Like (+1) 1

The last 2:00 of the 2nd period were soul-crushing for the Bolts.  Safe to say game 3 is a must win for TB, but the way the Caps are playing you have to think this series is just about over as I don't see TB going 4-1.

42 minutes ago, eball said:

The last 2:00 of the 2nd period were soul-crushing for the Bolts.  Safe to say game 3 is a must win for TB, but the way the Caps are playing you have to think this series is just about over as I don't see TB going 4-1.

via the eye test, its hard to watch and not see which team is in control.  

The other thing is last night it took a man advantage for Tampa to score,  and in game 1 only 1 one of their goals was full strength.

Tampa like the Caps CBJ game 3 is all but a must win.  Lose and then you have zero buffer. 

The streets of DC will be wild and crazy Thursday if the Caps pull off a sweep.  

A case of bad timing:

'Nobody's happy about it': Power outage set for Rossburn, Man., during Jets game

Manitoba Hydro has planned a power outage in western Manitoba town from 6 to 9 p.m. Monday

CBC News · Posted: May 14, 2018 5:00 AM CT | Last Updated: 5 hours ago

hydro-tower.jpg
People in the town of Rossburn will have no power from 6 to 9 p.m. Monday, during the Jets playoff game against the Vegas Golden Knights. (Chris Seto/CBC)

People in the town of Rossburn, Man., will be cheering on the Winnipeg Jets in the dark Monday night.

Manitoba Hydro has scheduled a power outage for maintenance from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. — conflicting with Game 2 against the Vegas Golden Knights in the NHL's Western Conference final.

John Kostecki, who owns the Rossburn Hotel, said a hydro employee put up a bulletin Friday about the outage in the small town 275 kilometres northwest of Winnipeg.

"First thing that went through my mind was 'What, are they crazy?'" he said.

Manitoba Hydro needs to upgrade the substation's transformer and the planned outage notification came May 9, before the Jets beat the Nashville Predators in the second round of the NHL playoffs, a spokesperson said in an email.

"Generally, scheduled outages are planned days in advance to make sure staff are available, customers have plenty of advance warning and that it's scheduled for minimum inconvenience," the spokesperson said. 

Kostecki said he understands the maintenance work needs to be done but the timing is not ideal.

"I would rather have hydro fix the problems instead of having an unplanned outage, but they maybe could have done Tuesday," he said, laughing. "Nobody's happy about it."

Fire dept. generator will fuel game

Over the weekend, Kostecki ran into the town's fire chief and they came up with a solution to the problem. The local fire department has a diesel-powered generator that needs to be run a few times a year and the chief is loaning it to the hotel, he said.

"Instead of just burning the diesel for nothing, we decided to wire up our satellite and our TVs in the bar and we're going to watch the game by candlelight and cook hotdogs on the barbecue," he said.

The hotel will charge patrons $10 at the door and all proceeds will go to the community's skating rink.

"We're trying to fix the roof, and put in some new lighting in there, so it's going to a great cause," Kostecki said.

The Winnipeg Jets face off against the Vegas Golden Knights at 7 p.m. CT Monday at Bell MTS Place.