2018 NHL Playoffs

Mark Vader

47 minutes ago, eball said:

3 of the 4 series right now are fantastic...I just can't get into Boston-Tampa.

Even as a Bruins fan the serious has sucked. Haven’t had a good game yet where both teams show up. The lightning walked around like zombies in game one and the Bruins have been lazy since. Jets/Preds series is great so far.

9 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Can he contest it like they do in the NFL? 

Hard hit  but that is a lot.   

I guess the broken jaw was a factor.  

I am not sure..I am fairly certain in the regular season they keep it under 5 games as if 6 or more the player can appeal to an arbitrator. I will do some quick research as I am curious too. BTW, i know I am on the other side from most, but I saw that as a dirty, dirty headshot and think the suspension was correct.

1 hour ago, eball said:

3 of the 4 series right now are fantastic...I just can't get into Boston-Tampa.

I can..just cause I despise Boston fans and Boston sports. Was nice to hear Bruin fans booing the B's last night..damn they are spoiled up there. I mean look at all their teams. Celtics winning without their two biggest stars looking like the next dynasty in the NBA, Sox in first at 22-8, Pats best team in the league...man someone make them miserable please!!!

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I can..just cause I despise Boston fans and Boston sports. Was nice to hear Bruin fans booing the B's last night..damn they are spoiled up there. I mean look at all their teams. Celtics winning without their two biggest stars looking like the next dynasty in the NBA, Sox in first at 22-8, Pats best team in the league...man someone make them miserable please!!!

Oh, I hate Boston too.  I just have absolutely no affinity for Tampa and the games haven't been good.

Edited by eball

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

I am not sure..I am fairly certain in the regular season they keep it under 5 games as if 6 or more the player can appeal to an arbitrator. I will do some quick research as I am curious too. BTW, i know I am on the other side from most, but I saw that as a dirty, dirty headshot and think the suspension was correct.

thanks for looking into it. 

He hit him high certainly, he didn't lunge off of his feet (until after contact).  An unfortunate turn of events.   

FWIW - There are a lot of hard hits and slashed going on by both teams.  The Pens are not angels by any means.   I am actually surprised they are getting their asses kicked thus far.  

And as a side not - a lot of feigning hard hits.  

10 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Sharks strike back with a shutout of their own.

Martin Jones was ON tonight.

The goal by Donskoi at the end of the 1st period was key.

What a difference Donskoi makes. 

I can't get over the effectiveness of Sorenson. Another guy that just keeps getting better and better. How long can he be kept on the 4th line? I'm thinking more in terms of next season. No way I break up that line right now. 

Thank god no Martin and we got Ryan. I get the feeling game 3 was the last game played by Martin. At least for the Sharks. 

GO SHARKS!

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

thanks for looking into it. 

He hit him high certainly, he didn't lunge off of his feet (until after contact).  An unfortunate turn of events.   

FWIW - There are a lot of hard hits and slashed going on by both teams.  The Pens are not angels by any means.   I am actually surprised they are getting their asses kicked thus far.  

And as a side not - a lot of feigning hard hits.  

as noted in the first round, Penguins are the Pats of the NHL..they get a lot of benefit of the doubt.

And yep, Wilson's rights are the same in the playoffs. He can appeal, but the appeal would be heard by Bettman. Whats the point eh? 6 or over, goes to a neutral party

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Especially the Bruins. Anyone who has watched Bruin games on NESN would have a natural distaste for the B's. Listening to their announcers would have that effect.

1 minute ago, Dante said:

Especially the Bruins. Anyone who has watched Bruin games on NESN would have a natural distaste for the B's. Listening to their announcers would have that effect.

I have grown to love the caricature that is Jack Edwards. He is sooooo over the top, just has to be an act and i think it is funny now. I actually watch the NESN broadcast when they play the Sabres.:D

14 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I have grown to love the caricature that is Jack Edwards. He is sooooo over the top, just has to be an act and i think it is funny now. I actually watch the NESN broadcast when they play the Sabres.:D

They drive me crazy! When they are losing they give the impression that the Bruins are really better than the other team. Bad luck, reffing or a few uncharacteristic mistakes by the B's are the reason. It's never the other team is playing better! 

22 minutes ago, Dante said:

What a difference Donskoi makes. 

I can't get over the effectiveness of Sorenson. Another guy that just keeps getting better and better. How long can he be kept on the 4th line? I'm thinking more in terms of next season. No way I break up that line right now. 

Thank god no Martin and we got Ryan. I get the feeling game 3 was the last game played by Martin. At least for the Sharks. 

GO SHARKS!

Joonas Donskoi has become one of my favorites, even though he can be neutralized on the boards so easily because he's not a big guy.

I agree with you about Sorenson. The patience he showed on that first goal last night, he looked like a veteran on that play.

I think Paul Matin is finished as well, just like they have done with other veterans like Joel Ward & Jannik Hansen.

It's been great seeing the younger guys step up and help the Sharks core players.

Even better that they have been doing so without Joe Thornton.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Joonas Donskoi has become one of my favorites, even though he can be neutralized on the boards so easily because he's not a big guy.

I agree with you about Sorenson. The patience he showed on that first goal last night, he looked like a veteran on that play.

I think Paul Matin is finished as well, just like they have done with other veterans like Joel Ward & Jannik Hansen.

It's been great seeing the younger guys step up and help the Sharks core players.

Even better that they have been doing so without Joe Thornton.

What I like about all the small. skilled guys (Donskoi, Sorenson, Karlsson) is that they are willing to take a hit to make a play. They do not just play on the perimeter. I don't think they get neutralized that easily. They all are pretty hard to move off the puck for their size.

Bodeker is someone I was really down on the first half of the year but even he has come around. He is a guy that really isn't strong and can be pushed around a bit but he has made up for it with pure hustle. His speed is a big plus. As with all these guys.

And this comes full circle around to Joe. What do we do with him? Is it fair, coming off major knee surgery, to put him in a high tempo series like this? Do we want him in there? Joe isn't the most fleet of foot and it's never been more apparent that the Sharks have to be fast to compete with this team. 

IF we were to advance and play either the Jets or Preds I think Joe's size may become more of an asset. But against these guys, speed and a bit of edge seem to be the only way to stay with them.imhl 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Down go the Bruins. Tampa was faster, stronger and more composed. Good for them. It will be an interesting offseason. 

I’m on the Jets wagon. Best team out there.

Thank god for that!!

ECF should be awesome but do think Caps-Bolts might be one for the ages.

11 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Thank god for that!!

ECF should be awesome but do think Caps-Bolts might be one for the ages.

I remember taking the family to Lightining games when DOZENS of people attended. Not a lot of dozens, but maybe a couple.... You could sit anywhere and hear every cut of every skate. 

37 minutes ago, Augie said:

I remember taking the family to Lightining games when DOZENS of people attended. Not a lot of dozens, but maybe a couple.... You could sit anywhere and hear every cut of every skate. 

have never been to a game there..but if yu want to treat..I am in!

13 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Wait what?    You give up on the Pens?   

no, not yet. Just saying thing Caps in the ECF will make for an epic final

• Like (+1) 1

Nothing like a welfare handout to a new team... Everybody else builds thru draft, and new team gets exclusive rights to other team's players.

Kinda like back in day where Habs had exclusive rights to players out of Quebec... Probably why they were so good.

I love social welfare, just NOT in sports. Build from draft and compete for free agents with everybody else.  No leg up.

Like the system wasn't rigged by crooked League to bolster a new team... While others labor and work at it.

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Nothing like a welfare handout to a new team... Everybody else builds thru draft, and new team gets exclusive rights to other team's players.

Kinda like back in day where Habs had exclusive rights to players out of Quebec... Probably why they were so good.

I love social welfare, just NOT in sports. Build from draft and compete for free agents with everybody else.  No leg up.

Like the system wasn't rigged by crooked League to bolster a new team... While others labor and work at it.

Don't give me that bullshat. Even after we picked all of our players, Vegas was predicted to finish bottom 5 in the NHL. The Vegas sports books had us 300/1 to win the Stanley Cup. Not 1 expert had the Golden Knights even finishing 500. So take your sour grapes and shove it. We worked for where we are at, and with our GM/Coach, we will also build through the draft and dominate for years to come. Name 1 star that we got... an aging goalie who everyone said his best years were behind him? Heck, how many games did we play(and win) with our 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th string goalies while Fluery was out?! We have a group of castaways and have been spanking big name franchise players since day 1. Hopefully the Sabres can get to a wild Card birth with Eichel and another gifted hand out from the draft this year. How many years of tanking before the Sabres decide it is time to try and actually play, instead of going for lottery picks? Our plan was to make the playoffs in 3 years and the Stanley Cup in 5... but I guess we have more grit than a bunch of big names.

I do like the fact that the Vegas Golden Knights don't have a Captain. Our coach made it a point that no 1 player is above the rest. That mentality has caught on team wide. Go Knights... Ef the haters.

33 minutes ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

Don't give me that bullshat. Even after we picked all of our players, Vegas was predicted to finish bottom 5 in the NHL. The Vegas sports books had us 300/1 to win the Stanley Cup. Not 1 expert had the Golden Knights even finishing 500. So take your sour grapes and shove it. We worked for where we are at, and with our GM/Coach, we will also build through the draft and dominate for years to come. Name 1 star that we got... an aging goalie who everyone said his best years were behind him? Heck, how many games did we play(and win) with our 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th string goalies while Fluery was out?! We have a group of castaways and have been spanking big name franchise players since day 1. Hopefully the Sabres can get to a wild Card birth with Eichel and another gifted hand out from the draft this year. How many years of tanking before the Sabres decide it is time to try and actually play, instead of going for lottery picks? Our plan was to make the playoffs in 3 years and the Stanley Cup in 5... but I guess we have more grit than a bunch of big names.

I do like the fact that the Vegas Golden Knights don't have a Captain. Our coach made it a point that no 1 player is above the rest. That mentality has caught on team wide. Go Knights... Ef the haters.

Sabres would have loved a crack at Fluery on waivers. So would other teams.

League welfare get 2-year in a row SC champ.  Who wouldn't take him?

Goalie is everything in hockey.  I see he pitched another shutout.

Fluery had a deal with the devil tonight. Damn. Beaten 4 or 5 times early with pucks trickling wide of a open net. Xbars and posts. I knew it was bad freaking mojo after the first. No way we were winning that game the way it was bouncing.

About the other thing. Vegas has done a fantastic job building such a cohesive team. But no other new franchise has been granted such a good pool to pick from. I'm surprised they are this good. Not really surprised they made the playoffs.  With the choices they had better have had a half decent team. 

I get why the NHL did it. I guess Seattle will get the same deal. 

15 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Sabres would have loved a crack at Fluery on waivers. So would other teams.

League welfare get 2-year in a row SC champ.  Who wouldn't take him?

Goalie is everything in hockey.  I see he pitched another shutout.

and how many weeks was he out with a concussion when we kept winning?

5 minutes ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

and how many weeks was he out with a concussion when we kept winning?

Doesn't matter.  As a new team, you gotta a leg up... A hand out.

Play without him the rest of way and I may change my mind.

It's League welfare to bolster a new team.  Too much while the rank and file work at it.  Just because they are new, the team shouldn't have exclusive rights to pick what other teams give.  Other teams should have competed for such talent.

It's not sour grapes, just a crooked system in place.  Too much welfare given to the new team... And the results are showing.  Of course the League wouldn't allow crap talent to be thrown Las Vegas' way. Mix in 2-Time Champ Pens having a goalie blessing... Las Vegas catches lightening in a bottle and gets a first ballot HoF goalie.

Oh... And now you are biggest Las Vegas Superfan on planet... Cha ching for League along with all the other that fall in line with winning... While the other teams struggle and work w/out handouts.

Handouts, welfare really does work.  It would work in society too... Just follow the Golden Knights model and rules they were blessed with.

I understand, many have to look past the crooked system.  Sabres shouldn't have had to kick in their talent (Carrier) into system.  They did... But should have offered up a scrub (disallowed according to rules).

4 hours ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

I do like the fact that the Vegas Golden Knights don't have a Captain.

The reason for that is the players knew that a captain would be expected to take part in the pregame 'pageant' before every series began, when the series was in the Las Vegas arena.  "Hey, Jacques, no way dere I being in dat ting, even if Celine come and sing!"

7 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Vegas' entry to the NHL wasn't much different than recent expansions by the NFL and MLB.  They just did a much better job than recent expansion teams and a better job in one year than Pegs has done in several with the Sabres

Vegas did luck out with Fleury, I'l grant you that.  But that wasn't league welfare.  Fleury didn't want to sit behind Murray.  The Pens front office wasn't going to force a player to stay who did not want to be there.  When the expansion draft came along the Pens front office exposed Fleury so he could move on and the Pens could hold back another player from the expansion draft

5 hours ago, Dante said:

About the other thing. Vegas has done a fantastic job building such a cohesive team. But no other new franchise has been granted such a good pool to pick from. I'm surprised they are this good. Not really surprised they made the playoffs.  With the choices they had better have had a half decent team. 

I get why the NHL did it. I guess Seattle will get the same deal. 

The draft rules were very favourable to the Knights..so much so I really don't think Seatle will get the same deal. 

1 hour ago, /dev/null said:

Vegas' entry to the NHL wasn't much different than recent expansions by the NFL and MLB.  They just did a much better job than recent expansion teams and a better job in one year than Pegs has done in several with the Sabres

Vegas did luck out with Fleury, I'l grant you that.  But that wasn't league welfare.  Fleury didn't want to sit behind Murray.  The Pens front office wasn't going to force a player to stay who did not want to be there.  When the expansion draft came along the Pens front office exposed Fleury so he could move on and the Pens could hold back another player from the expansion draft

Pens absolutely wanted out from Fleury, and good for Fleury for playing so well.

I am 100% convinced winning like this so early is not good for the franchise and long-term support. We shall see, but I always look at the Panthers and their early success, and what has happened there. Now we all know Miami is a poop sports town, but I think winning also hurt Jacksonville. Be interesting to see in 5 years.

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

The draft rules were very favourable to the Knights..so much so I really don't think Seatle will get the same deal. 

Pens absolutely wanted out from Fleury, and good for Fleury for playing so well.

I am 100% convinced winning like this so early is not good for the franchise and long-term support. We shall see, but I always look at the Panthers and their early success, and what has happened there. Now we all know Miami is a poop sports town, but I think winning also hurt Jacksonville. Be interesting to see in 5 years.

Our new GM came from the Pens.  One would think he could have traded neck tattoo and something to them for Fleury.  Neck tattoo could have gone to Vegas.  Maybe all those interviews from golf courses are a hint at GMJB's work ethic.  Don't get me wrong.  Still superior to the last guy.

4 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Our new GM came from the Pens.  One would think he could have traded neck tattoo and something to them for Fleury.  Neck tattoo could have gone to Vegas.  Maybe all those interviews from golf courses are a hint at GMJB's work ethic.  Don't get me wrong.  Still superior to the last guy.

No way anyone in the league wanted Fleury and his contract. Vegas wanted a "face" for the franchise, and Fleury was highest profile name available. Our new GM, unlike GMTM, will not be spending big money or 1st round draft picks on goalies..of that, i am pretty confident!

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

No way anyone in the league wanted Fleury and his contract. Vegas wanted a "face" for the franchise, and Fleury was highest profile name available. Our new GM, unlike GMTM, will not be spending big money or 1st round draft picks on goalies..of that, i am pretty confident!

Do you think he will spend enough so we can have something better than a lumbering psychotic oaf?

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

Do you think he will spend enough so we can have something better than a lumbering psychotic oaf?

Ullmark is your starter next year...I can't see the Sabres making the $4m qualifying offer to Lehner..just not a good fit here, and its to bad. I think if Lehner was a 2nd round Sabre draftee, he would not be the whipping boy of the fans. But much like Whitner, he is always linked to how he was acquired. 

2 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Agree...

And the Pens had luxury of being 2-Time Champs... Exposing a 2-Time Champ to an expansion team... When most teams on planet, would like to luck into that... But only one team had a crack at him.

That's welfare for the new team.  Las Vegas didn't have to work @ it.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

Ullmark is your starter next year...I can't see the Sabres making the $4m qualifying offer to Lehner..just not a good fit here, and its to bad. I think if Lehner was a 2nd round Sabre draftee, he would not be the whipping boy of the fans. But much like Whitner, he is always linked to how he was acquired. 

I realize #1 picks aren't the same in hockey as football.  The pick isn't/wasn't an issue to me.  I'm mystified at how anyone could watch Lehner and think he is a viable option for any team.  He is certainly capable of amazing individual saves and even games but he is as consistent as weather.  Teams can't win long term with play like that.  Add the volatile personality and it's just ridiculous.

17 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

The Knights did their homework and did a superior job evaluating players and rosters to maximize their selections when the expansion draft took place. They did a lot of pre-draft explorations and preliminary deals that worked out for them and the teams they were dealing with. Their early success is a tribute to their GM, George McPhee,  and his scouting staff. 

I don't know if Seattle is going to get the same deal as Vegas but the early success of Vegas is a reason to follow the same format, not go against it. In my opinion having non-competitive expansion teams doesn't help the league, it makes it less entertaining and less competitive. Vegas paid a lot of money to join the league. Why make it more difficult to cultivate fan support with a less than entertaining product to start with? 

What the success of the Black Knights demonstrates is that the most important ingredient for success for a new franchise or a franchise with a new owner is to make it a priority on getting the right GM in place.  That's the starting point. And hopefully Pegula has learned his lesson in that area with his pro franchises. 

36 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I ain't buying McPhee is a great GM John..lets see how this thing progresses over the next 5 years

I'm with you on this.  It's not as if Vegas is some sort of hockey hotbed; the Knights are the "in" thing to do right now.  Wait until they miss the playoffs one year and the "new" fans are like, "what is this crap?"  Winning big early in a non-traditional market isn't a positive (in my opinion) unless they can keep it going.