Two Prospects Have Sustained Serious Injury During Private Team Workouts

1 minute ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Injuries will happen training, in private workouts, or practice. Let's not overreact. It's part of the game. 

I agree here, it most likely would have happened during rookie camp.  However if I am an agent I probably tell my guy not to workout outside of their pro-day or the combine if they get an invite.   At the very least, if it happens during training camp you have a signed contract with the teams insurance covering you.

• Like (+1) 7

I wonder why the team's need those workouts. They should have already seen these guys at their pro day and at the combine, unless it's a guy that didn't get invited to the combine.

Seems duplicative to me. I'd rather get him in the film room and see what his brain has to offer.

• Like (+1) 5

If this is your big shot at a paycheck, you really should be careful before you even get drafted.

It is a catch-22 for them.  Don't work out and it may hurt your draft status, do work out and you could blow a knee and be done before you are drafted.  I know some of these players pay for insurance for this sort of thing, but not all of them do.

If it were my kid who had this happen to him, I'd be sick to my stomach.

the workout schedule for these guys is pretty nuts.  fly here, go out to dinner and get slammed with questions, get no sleep, wake up early and have an intense workout, immediately head to the airport and head to the next city and do it all over again.  they need time to rest and recuperate.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Injuries will happen training, in private workouts, or practice. Let's not overreact. It's part of the game. 

They should work out at the combine and pro day, that’s it. Visits should be more about character and team chemistry. 

Especially since a lot of the meetings are smoke screens or precautions 

• Like (+1) 5

26 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

THEY ARE NOT GETTING PAID to work out and are covered only by insurance policies. You're reacting to the wrong issue. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I hate this. It is terrible to see a guy lose so much, so early. Those injuries can cost these guys hundreds of thousands, if not Millions of dollars. Hopefully they have it insured to offset some of the loss.

It does really suck. I'm not sure what the answer is. It seems like there is quite a bit of emphasis put on the private workouts. 

24 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I agree here, it most likely would have happened during rookie camp.  However if I am an agent I probably tell my guy not to workout outside of their pro-day or the combine if they get an invite.   At the very least, if it happens during training camp you have a signed contract with the teams insurance covering you.

The difference is they would be under contract and insured in camp.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Yeah, part of the GAME, these workouts arent part of the game. You can eliminate a potential injury causing situation that really isn't overly telling.

If any team totally changes their rankings on a player based on how they performed in shorts, they probably have a lot of staff unemployed.

22 minutes ago, Virgil said:

They should work out at the combine and pro day, that’s it. Visits should be more about character and team chemistry. 

Especially since a lot of the meetings are smoke screens or precautions 

Exactly. With all the films available and these two workouts, it should be enough. Maybe the players could do videos for their own promos. At least  they are in familiar terrain, with their own coaches, equipment, are warmed up, etc. I do get the part for interviews, character and all that though. If no team can do these private workouts except after pre-season games have started, then it's a level playing field for all.

15 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Yeah, part of the GAME, these workouts arent part of the game. You can eliminate a potential injury causing situation that really isn't overly telling.

If any team totally changes their rankings on a player based on how they performed in shorts, they probably have a lot of staff unemployed.

Blaming a workout for an injury is small-minded.